Metal Gear Solid 5 confirmed for PC

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by harkinsteven, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Got my copy, have not played yet as too busy with real life stuff. I hardly game in the summer months anyhow, like to get out and about etc.
    Will probably install later tonight.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Those beers do get in the way of things, right?

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah man especially in the summer time :)
    I just finished main mission on GZ today, wished id have played it earlier.
    Decent game tbh with some side missions unlocked etc.

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    https://twitter.com/popcicle/status/637426026381885440

Update on the PC release date, now unlocks globally on September 1st 12 AM "ET"
    (Seems you can download it after midnight as a preload but it could also be a actual download and then it uses internet activation as a type of DRM so you can't actually play until that exact unlock time.)

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I did not get the PS4 version until this morning but I'm guessing that most people who pre-ordered the game for console in the UK will have their copies today as Monday is a bank holiday.

I have only played the game for about 2.5 hours, of which the first 1-1.5 hours is effectively a linear but highly entertaining tutorial referred to as a prologue, chapter 0. The game is magnificent on PS4 and it never ceases to astound me how much detail Kojima manages to pack into his game worlds. You can literally spend an hour listening to cassettes and briefings in the menus before even doing anything in the game itself.

Chapter 1 is where the game resembles the footage we've been shown previously, in particular that 30 minute video of Snake and Ocelot riding to the first mission. The visuals are fantastic though some concessions have been made to maintain 1080p 60 fps in the form of octagonal wheels and other simple geometry inside buildings. That is more than made up for my the sheer detail elsewhere. I spent 30 minutes just scouring every hut I could for diamonds (for some weird reason these are scattered all over, the equivalent of collectibles...I believe they are used to upgrade the Mother Base which I have yet to get to). There's even elements of Skyrim in there as you collect plants! The horse is easy to control though I have not used it much yet as I am currently infiltrating a village and trying to take out the enemies there without them seeing me.

First impressions are that this game looks to live up to all the hype and then some, and it should be even better on PC (longer draw distance, better lighting/shadows, etc, etc). I will likely pick that up too if not at release (if I can find it for sub-£30) then definitely in a sale.

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Nice daz, I will definitely be playing this when I get back him later.

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Going to play some more of this after I've watched the opening episode of season 2 of The Strain. I will post some PS4 screenshots too in spoiler tags though they will be from the start of the game so are hardly Spoilers per se. Once it gets dark I will move onto Until Dawn, also on PS4. :D

8. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Been busy with MGS GroundZero for a few hours and i love it. Never played any MGS titles so i'm beginning to grasp what i've been missing all those years. ;)

Can't WAIT for Monday!

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    You need to play the other games if you've never played them. Your missing out on some of the best gaming experiences ever.

The new MGS5 snake is not the same snake as mgs 1 2 and 4. Snake in MGS 5 is snake from 3 and peace walker which is the original big boss.

Snake from 1 2 and 4 is a cloned genome soldier created from the snake in 3 and Peacewalker. (Les Enfants Terribles) They are completely different characters. This may explain why Hayter was dropped in my opinion however a clone should be exactly the same.

Im annoyed that Sutherland is playing snake, it just dont seem right.

10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Is the voice annoying in the game ?

11. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    NO WAY. Love the voice but in a way it feels like playing a 24 game - which is not bad for me

@Veteran: Thx for the info,i'll try to catch up with Youtube i guess ;) appreciated

12. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Dam, mine never arrived today so i guess i won't be playing it till next week Q.Q

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Its not annoying but i prefer David Hayter. Nobody will ever replace him as he has played the voice of snake since the beginning. His distinctive voice is what connects and makes us as players recognise who snake is. Change that and its not like its a different character but it just dont feel like Snake.

Game is awesome though.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  14. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Had a copy of this for Xbox One in my hands today.

We got an Xbox One in at work, and it came packaged with MGSV. I figured it was just a key for downloading the game.
    But, opening the box up to prepare the console for display on the sales floor, and the actual game box was in the bottom of the Xbox... box.

15. DireBadger

DireBadger Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1070 AMP Extreme
    Even with a clone though. If they grew up in different places, wouldn't they have a different accent/voice?

16. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    They never should have used Hayter as Big Boss in the first place imo. At least now they sound different from each other.

17. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Accent, possibly.
    Accent's can be learned by growing up in certain locations. But, voice... tone, no. If one was a true clone, the voice would remain the same.

18. DireBadger

DireBadger Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1070 AMP Extreme
    Yeah it's more accent i mean. Like say we were clones but you grew up in Boston and I grew up in Virginia. We would look the same but sound totally different.

19. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    This is from a game series that put as a major driving point for a villain that because he got all the recessive genes when he was cloned it made him inferior as a human, I don't think actual reasoning is big in this.

That and magically gaining control of another body through an arm.

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Played this game for about four hours now (only 1% complete!) and two hours was spent messing around in a small village which is only part of one mission. This game is amazing. I found a cassette of the 80's gem, She Blinded Me With Science by Thomas Dolby, and proceeded to play a mission while listening to it. I believe Kim Wilde's Kids in America is in there somewhere (the game is set in 1984, IMO one of the best years for music so there should be some great tracks to find).

Graphically it is excellent too although the longer I play the more glitches I notice like LOD/object pop in, shadow draw in and some minor texture/shadow flickering. Some shadows appear really low-res and jagged too. It's never intrusive though and easy to forget once you focus on the mission. Overall this is a staggering achievement for the underpowered PS4 to run an open world sandbox type experience at 1080p and a near flawless 60 fps. Cannot wait to see it on PC though.

The only thing I do not like is the lack of checkpoints as the game only saves once you've achieved one of your objectives such as finding a map or reaching a specific location so all the diamond collecting I did from searching all the huts in one village was all for naught when I ended up dying and got put back to the last checkpoint (the save after the previous objective)! Mildly annoying. I wish everything you had collected just stayed collected. Might not be realistic but this is a game after all.