Call of Duty BO3 first impressions, performance, and discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by oGow89, Aug 27, 2015.

1. jaju123

jaju123 Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    AFR Friendly works for crossfire for me BTW :)

2. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Okay after a bit more testing with different maps and the such. The game maxed out was running smoothly 90% of the time (over 60fps). But there were sudden FPS Drops (lag spikes) that lasted for one or two seconds.

By the way, this game is very CPU Heavy. Definitely the most intense CPU game I've seen. Just monitoring the temperatures, Core 3 hit 87°C, and the other cores between 80-85... That's higher than Aida64 CPU Stress Testing. That's crazy.

No CPU throttling of any sort was happening, nor over heating. But this game definitely pushed the temperatures to crazy levels.

Never seen my CPU hit 80°C+ playing any game before (maybe one core would touch 80).

EDIT
    PS:

Resetting the graphics to default = no lag spikes (most settings on high).

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That is a HIS R9-280X ICeQ X2 Turbo though, they're a little faster than a normal R9-280X. That's the very reason why it's the one bought when it first became available :). The Tahiti XT/XT2/XTL thing was a heavy issue at the time, the HIS card is a Tahiti XTL, whereas some other R9-280X's that seem to run a lot hotter from Asus (not the reference design, their massive cooler version) and Gigabyte just seemed to run significantly hotter in reviews. Strangely enough they didn't say Tahiti XTL in their bioses.

I'm quite happy with that performance considering the drivers haven't been updated with COD BO3 in mind, since I don't really want to upgrade until the next gen stuff is out (AMD Zen, Greenland etc).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2015
  4. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    There's still a slight chance that AMD or COD will do something before the official game is released and our 280x's or 7970's won't perform the same any more lol

5. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    3 Years on since building my PC with a 7950 and I still see no reason to upgrade. Admittedly, I don't own any games like The Witcher 3 or Far Cry 4 which I am sure would make it sweat a bit, but in games like The Talos Principle, leave everything at Ultra and it rarely goes below 60fps .

6. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    yep if u have 7950 7970 or 780, unless u need extra performance boost, no need to upgarde, 680 770 on other hand that another story...

7. Nwanko

Nwanko Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 FTW 2151/5000
    If you're having memory leak issues,set textures to high and make a bigger pagefile, i set mine to 8192. I had it at 4550 and got memory leak every other round. Now i dont have issues anymore.

8. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    Well thats it ... If devs don't implement dx12 to reduce that CPU overhead Im calling this a crap port.

9. Miken420

Miken420 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FE
    I definitely want to play the single player in this game. The robots look cool. I hope it has a good campaign.

10. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Thanks for the advice, I'm going to try that. Interesting find :banana:

They will, soon. By next year, most major titles will probably support DX12.

11. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    I very much doubt that. They're still use the same engine since cod 2. Maybe by the time the next gen. of consoles we might see a new eng. using dx12 libraries. Technically speaking this game uses the BOIII engine which is based on the BOII engine that is actually the IW3 engine, the same one that was used in COD MW, the first one.

12. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Only time will tell. But a lot of us believe DX12 will be adapted a lot faster compared to DX11. It's going to be similar to when DX9 came out.

Thanks. Changing pagefile to 8GB helped. But changing it to 16GB fixed the lag spikes issue (which I guess was a memory leak issue, because I could see on my G510s keyboard memory hits 90%+ while playing this game). So yeah now I run the game maxed out @ 1080 and FPS is always 60+ (thus I haven't noticed a single lag spike in the last hour or so). Before even though FPS was 60+ using the "EXTRA" texture setting used to cause lag spikes.

13. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Well many games will use dx 12 pretty early, just not ubi**** games or cod. Not that they matter, last one i played was cod4. Boy it was fun to have 48 players on a small map, it was a clusterf**k. Throw a grenade anywhere and you will def. get 3-4 kills. That is why metro in bf3 was my fav. map.

14. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I kinda get the vibe that AMD gets this kind of performance without doing anything. Which is good, because we probably get nice performance without waiting for a driver (sometimes), and bad because, well... they don't do anything :p

15. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Exactly. I just didn't want to say it out loud and get attacked lol