graphical effects that probably need to stop!!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ramthegamer, Aug 27, 2015.

1. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
  2. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I agree with this user:

3. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    dumb article.

4. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Was the person who wrote that serious? To my knowledge every option they listed can be turned off if you don't like the effect in most modern games.

5. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I wonder are these options you can turn of on a console. In PC games if I don't like an effect I turn it of. Motion blur = OFF

6. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Anything from Call Of Duty. :)

7. chalky

chalky Guest

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4090
    I hate motion blurrrrrrrrr and film grain, i remember i think it was fear i could not turn film grain off untill they released a patch after complaints.

8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    When used correctly all of these can work in the benefit of the game. Most of the time these are used so wrong it burns my eyes, gladly you can just turn them off usually.

9. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Dont remind me of the 'dirt & waterdrops' effects in BF3 & 4, those were awful :p

10. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Problem is that sometimes are hardcoded (easier work,maybe lazy..) or some of them come mixed with other shaders and can't disable one you don't like without losing another that you like.
    Everone has personal likes and dislikes, the best thing for all is to have the choice to set on/off for all mentioned effects..

11. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Im sorry for the author, first most examples are made from CG movies inside games ( not when are you playing )..

I do CG scene, and we offtly use some postproduction on a scene, whatever it is add a glare on lights from the scene, particular point, Depth of field, motion blur / blur, defocus, sun shafts etc..

I have something like 200 preset of real camera and film preset i can choose just for the image grain..

And thoses directly on a physical based raytracing engine ( Luxrender )..

Are thoses effect maybe not allways well used on some CG movies you see in games ? maybe, but this is ofc an question of point of view.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  12. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Motion blur is a handy thing, if you have below 60fps its not as apparent with motion blur.

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Back in the day (a few years ago), that's why I said good bye to console gaming: controlling my own rig, settings and configs as far as possible. These days you can't even keep your rig not up to date (win10)...

Oh, and by the way: You want to turn off effects and are angry that you can't do it on a console? Buy a PC peasent (awaits thrown objects, rotten vegetables and torches) :D

14. robertmor52

robertmor52 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Gaming G1
    +100000...I just can see ignorance in those lines...

15. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Devs trying to make their games "flashy" and compensate for stuff they couldnĀ“t deliver, I turn off most of that crap.

16. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yes, because Chromatic aberration has an option to be turned off in every game it's used in. ;)

Not all options can be disabled.
    And, stuff like Chromatic aberration and the dirty lens/lens flare stuff can't be disabled in a lot of games. Even when trying to use cfg/ini files.

Personally, I'm fine with most effects. Though, I absolutely hate motion blur. In every single game I've ever seen it in. If there's a way to turn it off, I do that first fine.
    I agree with the article in that aspect.
    Motion blur doesn't look normal or realistic, not even in the slightest bit. It's an ugly effect, and one that's horribly overused.

17. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    ...and Devs overuse it because...

18. Sethos

Sethos Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Sea Hawk X
    It's all about use and implementation.

19. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Normally true, but I have never seen a use of motion blur I thought was good, or improved a game's visuals.
    An option to disable it in menu is something I'm really looking forward to in Arkham Knight's update.

Object based motion blur in FEAR 2 isn't as overdone as it is in a lot of games, but I still dislike it. And still wish there was a way to turn it off.

20. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    actually i have found farcry 4 to have very nice motion blur execution, it makes the mouse movement feel even smoother.