AMD Radeon R9 Nano Faster than GeForce GTX 980 + Pricing

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I plead guilty. Although not really for thinking it's a budget card. Even 970 or 390 are hardly budget cards. 960 and 380 might already be getting there. However, I was hoping it would be around 390(X)'s price. I really need a new card to replace my current ancient one, yet I'd loath to get an old tech rebrand 390(X) and pay for useless extra 4GB of memory to boot. So, I was hoping Nano would be a cheaper new generation card.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    You think they will? They should have done that on the dx11 drivers for windows too, so.... :D

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Is it only me, or am I the only one here who would rather wait to see the results before jumping to conclusions about value and performance?

We've all seen how the Fury X was hardly any better than the Fury. These chips seem to scale very poorly, which, depending on your perspective, is a good thing. In other words, this GPU should have some commendable performance, but it's the physical size that is the most appealing.

Personally, I'd be interested to see a Nano that fits in low-profile cases. But, I think the GPU package itself would actually be too big for that.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    The open source drivers are getting OGL 4.0, 4.1, and 4.2 support next month. The performance of those drivers are doing great too.

The catalyst drivers at this point will really only be appealing for OGL 4.3, 4.4 and openCL (I don't think they ever implemented 4.5 support). I'm not aware of any games that use OGL 4.3 or 4.4, so gamers can probably phase out the catalyst drivers after the release of mesa 11.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    PCIe Riser x16 cable will do just fine. You can have mITX MB and Nano right next to it.

Case like this will do. Even LC for CPU will fit there.
    http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/products/index.php?model=RVZ01
    And Chiefek makes quite nice modular 500W PSU which fits that case $70~80:
    http://www.chieftec.eu/en/psus/smart-series/sfx-500gd-c.html

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  6. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC

"On a related note, AMD says they’re working with “top vendors” who will release waterblock designs for the Nano in the coming weeks."
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...d-radeon-r9-nano-everything-you-need-to-know/

7. Srsbsns

Srsbsns Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 Liquid
    I see lots of talk about pricing but when it comes to the green team that rhetoric becomes "well if you want the best it comes at a premium".

I think that same sentiment completely applies here because the R9 Nano is a completely unique product that you cant get anywhere else. Price is an irrelevant discussion IMO.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Agreed. The product isn't even necessary for the average PC gamer, because if you can fit a bigger GPU in your computer you might as well (seeing as the price and/or performance will probably be better). What you're really paying for is basically the most powerful GPU for it's size.

Once AMD catches up with their supplies, or, if nvidia offers something equally competitive, I'm sure the price will drop.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Rofl no, sorry. There is a difference between paying a crazy price for the best possible GPU performance and paying the price for 1.5 inch smaller card that also looks to perform about 20-25% worse for that size.

Like I get that there will obviously be a person or two that wants to squeeze the most possible performance out of their Mini ITX case, but I beyond those few people I can't see it being a big seller. I'm kind of curious what a cut down Fiji part that was clocked higher would perform like and how close they could get it to this TDP. I also kind of suspect the pricing has a lot to do with the fact that someone could just put a waterblock on this and essentially have a Fury X with overclocking?

10. AMDFreeSync

AMDFreeSync Guest

GPU:
    MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB
    When market share drops today AMD & quarter sales are down. don't blame us, blame yourself. you got greed with HBM & now your paying the price.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    There is no need for LC on this card, unless it is all-in-one combo for GPU+CPU to fit extra small case.
    Because this card has only one 8-pin connector and will be limited by that.

12. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Yep...30/60 fps lock all the way or it'll drop to 5-600MHz in DX12 if Nano users are unlucky. (well that's just the heat lol)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  13. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    If the Nano is actually $650 I'll be disapointed.

The 970 is cheaper then $650 lol

14. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Hmm...

"Supposedly faster"? Just like Fury was "supposedly faster" than 980 TI and ended up being a big disappointment? I would rather wait for the real benchmarks first. If they pull it of, its quite impressive. Premium stuff like that would deserve premium pricing. That would be first time in at least 5 years for AMD. Not that I personally care as a 980 TI owner...

15. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    Always wait for Benchies. :)

16. AMDFreeSync

AMDFreeSync Guest

GPU:
    MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB
    Benchmark will be the same as in the past "Fiji" GPU's. Fury & 980 beat the R9 Nano by a couple of frames more while being $100 cheaper.

17. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    not the 980.... it will sit between the 390x and Fury .. and the 390x is allready faster than the 980..

Funny when think it is a 290x in reality and the gpu was 20% slower than tthe 980 1 year ago.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  18. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    cant believe they're actually pricing this at $649. may be they see something in the market for this that we dont? cause i sure dont see it.

19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  20. Batboy

Batboy Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce Titan X Hyb.
    I have grown in a time where the bigger the videocard, the more power it unleashed. Now with this HBM-related AMD cards, the rule has been broken. It'll be interesting to see how they will manage to dissipate heat in the future with 1 fan, when a very little card (10cmx10cm maybe?) has the power of 2 980ti. Apparently they will have to go the water cooling way.