Western Digital Black 6 TB Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    WD announced the expansion of its award-winning WD Black line of performance hard drives up to 6 TB capacity. Shipping now, the 3.5-inch, 7200 RPM drive is the perfect solution for gamers and professi...

Western Digital Black 6 TB Hard Drive

2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    As far as I'm concerned, the era of performance HDDs has passed. Now I only have need for ~5400 rpm archive HDDs, and then SSDs for the OS, programs, and games.

3. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    If you can go to the expensive solution for a big SSD then I agree with you,
    if not then a RAID-0 with blacks (or at least 7200rpm with good performance) is more than good for games. Cheaper, fast performance and more space..(so you won't care about deleting a older game to give space to a newer one)

4. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Agreed. I only buy/use WD Green 3Tb and 4Tb drives now in the machine and also the HTPC downstairs. None failed yet and Acronis Drive Monitor SMART monitoring shows they are all 100% health, as apposed to the old 160Gb Seagate I had to use in the HTPC as C drive when SSD failed, which Acronis says is 13% health and warning me to replace.

5. needforsuv

needforsuv Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti OC 6GB
    i have yet to move past even 1 single 7200 rpm hdd... havn't tried raid but i do wonder if this or 3 separate hdds (2,1,1) partitions will be faster when all are being written to/used

6. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Raid-0 (with 7200rpm HDDs) is always faster than any HDD. Partitions won't give you speed.

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    True...

When it comes to WD, there is only Green and Red for me.

8. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Damn..Just bought WD Black 4tb for my Steam Games..Now they released a 6tb? I wished I just waited..:(

9. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    I like WD blacks. Nice warranty, good quality, fast for a HDD, and most importantly, so much cheaper than SSDs. I use blacks for storage and most things, my SSDs are reserved for the OS and gaming, can't afford more or bigger SSDs.

10. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    But how hot will it run? my 1tb black runs at over 40 degrees, it runs so hot it sent the temp of my other hdd's up by nearly 5 degrees so I ditched it for an SSD.

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    My 1TB Black is also at ~40C.

But this is nothing! No prob whatsoever. Lower temps are more problematic actually. Sudden temp changes, condensation is what you should be afraid of.

Not that your blackie runs even at 50+C

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Or you could do it the cheap way. Use Intel's Smart Response Tech. I use a 64GB SSD as a cache drive and a 1TB, 7200rpm HDD as a system drive. My system boots and responds just as fast as it did with an SSD for the system drive but has considerably more storage space. If I need more storage space, I just buy a larger HDD and clone the old one to the new one. Saves a lot of money that way.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    SSD are still to expensive imo to start doing that for games, special if your some that install all the game you have reguardless if u play them or not.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    That's why I use an SSD as a cache drive and a mechanical drive for the system drive. It's much more cost effective as I only have to replace the SSD if it fails. I still get the performance benefits of the SSD though since nearly everything I use it cached on the SSD. The performance of the mechanical drive is only obvious the first couple boots and runs of any piece of software. After that, it's all cached and launches from the SSD anyway.

15. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    That is one way for durability too, however if you use it "just" as OS cache I wonder why NOT using it as main OS drive too,with no games installed ofc,only main/usual programs.-Almost- everything would be faster for your system compared with your current state with HDD in the mix).
    No offence but a SSD bootdrive (with OS and regular/most common used programs and apps) can't be the same as a HDD with SSD as cachedrive.
    I know you are experienced PC user and I believe that you know if I am right or not, with all due respect to you my friend.

Basic chatting on previous post you replied to was if it's worth for games too VS HDDs with main factor the cost per GB.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    just gonna leave this hear....

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Ok, well black is noiser! :D

18. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    LOL it sure is and more expensive.

It's a gimmick, just a naming scheme to make more money. I have had black and blue drives and by far the blue drives are faster, cheaper, and quieter. I think the only difference is the warranty.

If they release a 6TB blue drive then I shall be more than willing to buy one. As I know it will be better.

19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    OS, Games, Applications = SSD
    Storage = any old cheap HDD will do. Srsly.

As much as I love to hear about tech, a HDD is much of a muchness once you got SATA3 and a decent sized cache.

Companies have so much choice right now, it's hard to fathom a company using this for storage when cloud offer so much without the need to hire an IT department and the £150,000 server room which your IT Department tell you they need to replace every 3 years.

Yeah, you can right it off mostly in taxes, but still...

20. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    I was going to buy WD Blue 2TB HDD but Amazon didn't have them so I bought WD Black 2TB HDD on Friday after thinking that my WD Green 2TB HDD may be either too slow or going bad. I was surprised to get the package today.