GTA V Mod Aiming Show More Photorealistic Graphics

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Damn that looks neat! Even the depth of field seems well-done. I tend to hate DoF because most of the time it's done poorly.

3. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    First watch dogs, then the yet to be released nfs, now gtav mods: DOF + Puddles = realism.

Imo, dof along with CA need to go away. They seem like lazy attempts at a visual aspects that simply do not exist in real life, so im not to sure where DOF = realism even comes from.

A proper lighting engine and color correction would go alot further than taking screenshots with forced dof shots after its been raining.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  4. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    DoF simulates the fact that you don't see as detailed over long distances. It looks more realistic to me honestly. Maybe because I need to wear glasses in order to see properly haha.

But you're right as well. Proper global illumination, impecable textures and color correction do everything. I firmly believe that this is why (GI and good textures) Hitman Absolution still looks so well to this day.
    Admittedly HMA employs a fine noise that also masks textures in case they have low quality parts.

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    No it doesnt, its purpose is to simulate objects being distorted in your peripheral vision when focusing on an object up close. Hence the reason that all these screens are focusing on a close object to activate the dof.

6. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
  7. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    That first picture out in the country with the grass, the mud, and the rain looks absolutely stunning. So do the rest of the images to be honest (stunning work).

One however does wonder, what is the performance hit? Once all these settings are maxed out, I wonder how each card will perform vs without the mods (low-mid-high range).

8. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    I don't agree. You are stating what it SHOULD do, but fails miserably at doing so.
    In order to simulate objects in your peripheral vision, they'd have to track eye movement. The actual distortion in our peripheral vision is quite big and distortion also occurs at long distances because you cannot possibly see at long distances as you see at short distances.
    Take a look at a very far away object, as an example.

DoF in games today just blurs everything past a certain distance and eventually at the edges of the screen (this last point I find enormously annoying).

The only times it actually works is in iron sights or similar techniques of focusing on a certain point or target. DoF is a cheap replica of what we see IRL. It does more of what I said than of what you said.

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    So how long will it take until they ban people for something as little as this mod? :rolleyes:

10. Ursopro

Ursopro Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950 WindForce3
    Looks amazing!

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    "The actual distortion in our peripheral vision is quite big and distortion also occurs at long distances because you cannot possibly see at long distances as you see at short distances.
    Take a look at a very far away object, as an example.
    "

Its got nothing to do with distortion. An object further away is harder to see simply because its smaller.

"DoF in games today just blurs everything past a certain distance and eventually at the edges of the screen (this last point I find enormously annoying)."

Yeah, the simulation of what happens in you peripheral vision when focusing on a close object.

Also,
    "The only times it actually works is in iron sights or similar techniques of focusing on a certain point or target."

This is exactly what i said it does.:3eyes:

"DoF is a cheap replica of what we see IRL. It does more of what I said than of what you said."

See above:3eyes:

12. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    Photorealistic - A photo can contain photography tricks and real life. No one said a thing about complete realism. Pictures look great. I like DOF, blur, ca, and all that other cool ****. For those who don't like that type of thing, you know what to do. Disable it.

13. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    "Its got nothing to do with distortion. An object further away is harder to see simply because its smaller."

It does have to do with distortion. Not only is the image smaller, it also gets blurrier because you cannot focus on distant objects properly. Your eyes are not built for long ranges like an eagle's eyes are for example.

"Yeah, the simulation of what happens in you peripheral vision when focusing on a close object."

Except you cannot properly replicate that in a game. As I said, you need eye tracking.
    Which would be pointless anyway. You're physically looking at that object on the screen, and by extension you won't properly see what's going on around it unless you look there.

"This is exactly what i said it does."
    "See above"

You missed the context. In a game are you permanently watching through iron sights? No, you're not. The DoF is there anyway, distorting far objects like it should.
    Thus, most of the time DoF acts by distorting far objects. Which gives the image realism.

However, by focusing on an object you cannot properly see what's going on around it, even if you look there. This depends on the severity of the DoF. And that is the part which annoys me.

To explain this more clearly: I do not think DoF is useless and should go, just like you do. DoF has two functions, as I've explained earlier:

1. Distorting far away objects.
    2. Distorting peripheral vision when focusing on one object.

1. is good. Your monitor is close to you. Without DoF, you would be able to see very distant objects easier than in real life.
    2. is bad. When you look at an object with your eyes, you automatically can't properly see what's around.

Do you understand now?

14. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    If someone calls this photorealistic, then he needs go visit his ophthalmologist. But maybe i got it wrong, and the old crappy east block color photo look is intentional.

15. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    I think the dof is so intense because in all those screens he is looking towards the ground and/or a sign. If he were to look in the distance i assume you'll be able to see without such a powerful dof effect. Either way i'm sure you can tweak the effects to your liking.

I think it looks awesome.

As for the motion blur i think the screens look so blurry because of their low res, probably the originals would look better.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    lol it'll probably still play better than GTAIV.

On the note of DoF - one of the reasons I like PC gaming is because I can [usually] turn it off. It lowers the frame rate, it doesn't always look that nice, and it cripples your peripheral vision. I might enable it for a racing game, but that's about it.

17. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    ^^ this is the best post. Preset is based to give PHOTOREALISTIC not realistic.
    Some will like some won't (I presonally don't).
    Usually photorealistic presets are good ONLY for screenshots and look around,not for actual gameplay. This is my opinion for it.
    DOF surely makes it..visually nice but not if comes with increased values. Min dof is good,med and above only for screeshots.

Maybe you confuse photorealistic with realistic..?

18. Haftarun8

Haftarun8 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 670 FTW 2GB
    I agree that poorly implemented DoF detracts from the overall image, but PROPERLY done can really enhance the experience. The problem is, games rarely, if ever, do it properly. Yes your eyes can only see a limited depth of field in focus, the rest gradually blurs in BOTH DIRECTIONS, behind your focus distance AND in front of it. The front blurring is always ignored or miscalculated. Furthermore, if the player/character/camera is looking out to the distance, you should be able to see the horizon line very clearly, NOT blurry (unless the character needs glasses or something). Your eyes automatically focus far, and as that focus distance goes closer to infinite, your actual "depth" of field increases to where a larger area relative to yoru focus point remains in focus. It is ONLY when you're focusing on something very close that the depth of field squeezes in tight to where more beyond the focus point gets blurry. When that happens, even tho you're focusing on something close, any objects closer still are ALSO blurry (which games often ignore).

Now how do you make this work for the player? It's easy with VR like the Oculus Rift, where internal cameras can track your eye movement and in realtime extrapolate your focus point in terms of z-depth in the scene, but for good ole 2D FPS games, it's usually determined by what the center crosshairs are touching. Whatever that is at any point in time is what you're focusing on, and DoF depth should adjust realtime accordingly. Most of the time it should be almost non-existent except for the close butt of the gun or character's arm in your extreme near-field vision, while the area from 2 feet in front of you out to infinite should be perfectly clear. Only in cases where you're up against a wall and focusing two feet or less in front of you should the DoF squeeze in and blur the background significantly (as well as more of the foreground).

Games that do this correctly or can be modded to do this correctly:

Crysis (yep, waaaaaaaaaaay ahead of its time)
    Crysis 2, 3
    Skyrim (only if modded correctly, most dynamic DoF mods get it wrong)

That's about it...anyone find a game that correctly does it as I've described? I want to give those devs a medal.

19. Haftarun8

Haftarun8 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 670 FTW 2GB
    If you don't trust what I said or don't understand my wording, read this:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm

Wake me up when game devs study stuff like this and actually correctly implement it.

Also, a GREAT visual representation of what I'm trying to say here can be found here http://dofsimulator.net/en/

Play with the distance and watch the "circle of confusion" area (the distance in front and behind the focus distance that remains sharper than your eye can resolve) grow considerably larger then further your object of focus goes from the camera. This is why most of the time we don't notice the distance being blurry, because when we're looking out there, we're focusing out there, and the further we focus, the larger the area behind and in front of that focus area is IN focus.

20. andressergio

andressergio Master Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1080Ti HOF SLI
    congrats this is EPIC !!!