DirectX 12 First Tests

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by PrMinisterGR, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    Sorry, but I'm already tired to seeing benchmark results, screenshots, etc. with ultra low graphics or/and with an fx cpu paired with some high end nvidia gpu (or with two high end nvidia gpus in sli sometimes...). This is NOT how an fx8350 works with a 290 in real gaming. Yes, I didn't buy this rig to play below medium quality in current games at 1080p. Two graphs from gta5 at 1080p, first with very high setting (mostly) + 4xmsaa, second at high setting, no msaa.

http://postimg.org/image/dq5b8cnd5/
    http://postimg.org/image/7b6abognd/

You may say in average fps it'not bad, however when you check the graphs you will see (hopefully...) it is, especially considering there should be massive difference between the two setting, however they're very similar , except at the end of the second graph, but that just happened because I was on a hill or some sh*t. In other words, It doesn't really matter if I downgrade the graphics, since my cpu will be too slow either way. Also I made a vid under win8.1 with asder's modded driver with this "very high setting"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DINmV8j8cbw

By the way, I was at 4.6 Ghz, now I'm at 4.4 Ghz (both in the vid and graph), so it's even worse now. Also, maybe I can record a few minutes with high setting-no msaa later, however you will see similar performance. The only big difference would be at grassy areas, since 4xmsaa+high grass is too much for my gpu. Furthermore I don't know if VCE even works under these drivers, because I didn't test it yet, and it's simply impossible to record with a program which stresses my cpu instead of my gpu (or you will see much less fps...).

2. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    I can promise you that DX12 titles will be out quicker than previous DX versions. There are already major titles slated for this year and early next year for DX12.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Let's just hope they will work flawlessly and at 100%, which I honestly don't expect with a new API.

There have been mantle versions of games around that didn't work on first try either, like BF4, and I could imagine that any dx12 patches, and games utilizing dx12 right away won't work as good as dx11 versions released in all situations.

Even today, some games need dx11 patches to work properly without much troubles with performance, look at the last Batman, it's a known engine, it's a known API for the port, everything has been done before, and they still screwed up. So I wouldn't say dx12 will blow us all away just from the day you start the first game ;)

4. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    It's funny because people say OC that s#!t and you're done, i've tried 5.2g with a waterloop provided by a friend just to see the difference, and it was
    yet again, 1-3% more gpu usage. This combination r9 290/x and an fx cpu is just utterly horrible. Worst part is Mantle in BF4/H does not fix the gpu usage, quite frankly it does nothing except stabilize the fps a bit more.
    Games that utilize 99% of this gpu with this cpu can count on my fingers. and i don't see DX12 fixing this if mantle didn't, since they're both not too far away from each other.

5. BoMbY

BoMbY Guest

GPU:
    Fury X
    It's all good until someone uses NVidia's DX12 GameWorks. That's probably why NVidia says it is not a good benchmark, because it is not infested with their "optimizations".

6. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Drivers need fixing + game is in alpha stage, it does crashes and have weird performance issue at moment, we cannot officially judge theses result yet.
    Don't forget AMD is a partner of this game, so of course it should run a little better at first as because they are probably developing with AMD hardware. Just need a little time and nVidia will be equal or (what I personally think) be superior when the game hits final and that the drivers bugs / optimization are sorted out.

7. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Does AMD correctly support the final DX12 presentation mode with those drivers?

8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    What the hell! Seriously? Guru3D is "small" for them or something? :3eyes:

9. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    Well, maybe this cpu with an oc was fine in 2013 for those games, but became completely obsolete, and it seems dx12 won't fix it, seriously it can't outperform a dual core i3 under dx12, I don't even understand what this suppose to mean...

10. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I'm sure I remember a topic of discussion when people were saying the Fury X would improve in time with driver updates, NVIDIA users saying "driver optimizations won't mean anything and the Fury X will always be behind with DX11". Now some NVIDIA users are saying the exact same thing about NVIDIA and DX12.
    Goes to my corner.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Guru3D wasn't good enough for them? :3eyes:

Any chance you might do lower framerate/variance/latency tests comparing AMD hardware under Windows 10 and 8.1? I haven't found anything anywhere. Help me, Hilbert Hagedoorn, you're my only hope.

Me too. I bet they are preparing something right meow.

It is really AMD's one chance to shine, since I honestly believe they have better hardware. By the way, it is funny when I see in here people with 290x's complaining about speed, when their cards are basically on par with the 980 lately, and it was out almost a year earlier, and it's HALF the price of the equivalent NVIDIA card today. Negative bias much?

The only thing I can say to you, is that I honestly believe that with a low-grade non-overclockable i5 you would be worse compared to what you are now.

As for the rest, let us please not forget gentlemen that the whole point of the new APIs is that companies won't even do batch management any longer on the driver. That is good because it evens the playing field (seeing how all the respective models from both companies have caught up), but ties the hands of the manufacturers, regarding what they can do.

Since some of you are newer, and might believe I am an AMD apologist or something, I can assure you I am the complete opposite. I was just enthusiastic when I saw the results, because they confirmed the suspicions I've had about the hardware's potential.

The AMD DX11 driver is stable but slow. The features packed with the AMD drivers belong in 2002. They lack proper VSYNC control, Triple Buffering, a practical and working Frame Limiter, Render Ahead/Flip Queque and post-process anti-aliasing that is better than MLAA that nobody uses any longer.

I don't want any de-mosquito stupid effects for video AMD, thank you. I need working Vsync and the rest, since your close partner Raptr has a non-compete clause with the only person that was making a proper tweaking software, without which your cards are almost unusable in most titles. Somebody needs to grow a brain in there. If a single person form the ass-end of the world can do it, so an AMD engineer with access to the driver and CCC source code. Put it under "Advanced View", let us press buttons to unlock it, where we promise to sacrifice the virginity of our cousins, but please put it there.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  12. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    there was a thread I also remember reading it :)

It is terrible all those DX11 games that NVidia can use there hardware to the max.
    Oh the AMD driver is just not very good at DX11 luckily AMD is awesome at DX12.
    It is terrible NVidia cant play the DX12 games the same as AMD...........oh there are no DX12 games yet.

Maybe we should wait until there is a public DX12 benchmark so we can run it in our PCs that would be better or wait for HH.

13. AMDJoe

AMDJoe AMD rep

GPU:
    AMD
    The benchmarks look promising for AMD hardware but what I'd really like to see is some DX12 benching in the upcoming Deus Ex game. Now that's a game I'd like to play and see perform well!

14. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    It means its no longer a competitor in the gaming scene, cpu is perfect for
    rendering however, I'm an editor and i love it, that's one of the reasons
    i took it over a 4440.

15. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    um, you realize the the vast majority of gaming occurs at the lower-mid tier?

they are fine for that market segment.

16. danfim

danfim Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    Shame it's an RTS game, I'm excited to see a similar benchmark on a future FPS title. That is assuming that RTS games still heavily depend on the CPU like they used to? I don't really play much RTS any more.

Still, exciting stuff.

17. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    yeah, AIs for RTS require pretty beefy CPUs.

Pathing mostly. More units, more pathing calculations.

18. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090

No wonder AMD wanted people to see this. Their results are insane in this demo.

19. Ironjer

Ironjer Active Member

GPU:
    2x AMD 295X2 CrossfireX
    this proof the amd problem wasn't the hardware! always i knew my quadfire will be happy very soon.

20. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    I read somewhere that the benches need to be rerun with new nvidia driver, and the results are much better.

Remember it's still early to declare a winner, though by this game i see AMD dx11 performance are so poor, while nvidia light years ahead thanks to overhead optimization.