Microsoft can detect and disable pirated software on Windows 10

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by anxious_f0x, Aug 17, 2015.

1. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
  2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
  3. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    waiting for the inevitable crack for this :)

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah, because you know **** the people who write software you use for a living. Why would we want to pay them to use their products?

5. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Why not ? You can expect everything these days...
    though a user who uses pirate OS won't be concerned. I mean they cracked so many stuff (like Denuvo), will this be a problem for such teams? Don't think so.
    The most impotant here is if this "detection" will affect any performace factor.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    This most mainly for phones. Remember the Microsoft EULA covers both PC's and phones now. People are far more likely to pirate phone applications individually than to install a hacked copy of Windows on their device. Sideloading cracked APK's on android comes to mind -- this would be similar if Google added scanning functionality to Play Services to look for pirated software.

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I see what you mean but I don't think pirated phone apps are anywhere near as popular as pirating Windows apps.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You mean full windows apps? I agree, but we are talking about Microsoft Store Apps (Metro/Modern UI stuff). The updated EULA and scanning only effects that, not full, traditional, Windows stuff. I doubt many people here use Microsoft Store apps at all, let alone pirate them. But on phones that's all that's going to be available.

9. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    I am more interested in this part of the statement

I am annoyed by the software deactivation part, not because I actually have loads of pirated software on my system but the fact that it's yet another aspect of MS sticking their nose in to what I am doing on my computer, however this 'unauthorised hardware' thing, who are they to say what is classed as an 'unauthorised hardware peripheral device' and last time I checked you can't pirate hardware so who's job is it to say if the device I am using with my hardware is 'unauthorised' and what constitutes it being 'unauthorised' is it because the hardware designer didn't get a new driver signed by MS or because my new keyboard could break through NSA encryption? I dunno?

10. CyberPaddy

CyberPaddy Guest

GPU:
    migty 8800GTX
    I thin kmen they are after are webcams (to look at us) so they are put in it there files so they can got are pics. I don't no why they are doin it but it is mad that they are not t ask us 1st. if they are to steal are pics from my HDD I will be evern more mad (privat pics of us (not for MS)).

to mr.t ^& yes I think they are to stop us usin are own things :(

11. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    they mean, 3rd party game controller or usb adapter for the xbox controller..

the 3rd party ones are cheaper, BUT they arent the original form MS, MS doesnt make money on them , so they needed a new plan, haha..

as far as i know there are 3rd party usb adapter for teh xboxcontroller and MS is mad about it, so they do this..
    besides some other things..

i am staying away from win 10 as loong as i can.
    And if Vulkan is a success, then i will never need to make this backwards step to win10..

i need a OS that i can work with, fast and quick. also i payd for it, i can use it all..

in win 10, its way too clunky, hidden costs everywhere..
    The app store?!?!? WTF man, do i look like an teen with an handy dissorder?
    i want to work with my windows, not looking at flaschy bull**** and get remembered all the time that i have to go to the appstore cause i want to look at a PNG...

really?

Everyone i know in the IT branch, says, stay away from win10..

if u care about privacy, yours and the the privacy of your customers, then dont get win 10.. even my boss sayd this.. no win 10 here....

watch out, in 1 year, you have to pay for stuff, that was free in win 7....

Microsoft goes the way apple did. to a closed very narrow and closed OS...

/rent

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  12. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    wow wow calm the f... down and think for a moment.. Everything micro does someone will crack it is mouse and cat game..

13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Makes me wonder about my USB adapter that I use to use my Wii-U pro controller on my computer if they are going to deactivate that.

Yeah as a IT person myself that I am staying clear of Windows 10 due too many fishy things with it.

What about 3rd party software that people pirated. They cannot just deactivate software that belongs to another company. But I do agree that this might be just for first party software that was made by MS themselves and any apps from the MS store.

14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I don't think the company you pirated software from would mind at all if Microsoft did deactivate it.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There is nothing wrong with Windows 10.

If you guys are worried about privacy, then don't even use a computer. Intel ME is built into nearly every Intel chipset for the past 6 years. It's capable of reading all your data without the CPU's knowledge and has a dedicated connection to the network stack. AMD's PSP is essentially the same thing.

If you don't understand the reasoning behind Microsoft's choice to broaden Windows reach to multiple devices, then you obviously don't understand the market at all. If you don't like it, then I suggest you use a different OS. Modern apps aren't going anywhere anytime soon. It's the only way Microsoft can compete and not become blackberry.

I've got Win10 on about 6 different computers, all running fine. If IT people are telling you to stay away, they either didn't use it themselves or don't want to hear you crying about the 1-2 minor inconsistencies that you'll end up complaining about. I can understand enterprises staying away, but consumers -- the OS is more than adequate.

Also the USB disabling thing has to do with the Xbox. Windows is running on Xbox as well as PC/Phone now. There are numerous hardware hacks that run on USB devices that effect windows services. Microsoft doesn't care that you have a 3rd party controller.

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    In those circumstances you are probably correct. However how would MS know if piece of software is pirated as far as 3rd party software goes?

17. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    Isn't this a really broad service agreement that covers xbox one/xbox live or also? When I see the language about "counterfeit games" right next to unauthorized hardware, it really sounds like some common sense for a console. So the china-made ripoff accessories might not work, and that "mod-chip" might get hosed by a future firmware update? I don't have a problem with that...
    People are making such a big deal out of this. It's so easy now for everyone to be an expert and jump on the "Microsoft sucks" bandwagon. I'm hearing a lot of "IT guys" that I wouldn't trust to set a clock.
    "waiting for the inevitable crack for this"-zer0_c0ol <- The guy who got a nice new FuryX for is i7 rig, but has to steal his OS? I smell B.S. Do you steal from everyone, or do you think of yourself as Robin Hood? Waiting for the crack makes you the same meth-smoking trash that steals Windows from Walmart - only they don't go online and announce it with a (toothless) grin.

18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    If you're pirating windows apps, they're doing you a favour by deactivating them :p I'm pretty sure that work arounds will be found if they try to disable generic hardware.

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    +100 :d

20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Thoughts ?

Win7 FTW :p