NZXT GRID+ V2 Digital Fan Controller

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    NZXT makes digital fan control easy with the new GRID+ V2. Welcome to the future of digital fan control. The new GRID+ combines a modern interface and a streamlined installation to ensure a simple, un...

NZXT GRID+ V2 Digital Fan Controller

2. justin_you

justin_you Guest

Why NZXT do not listen to users feedback by using the fan 4pins input?

This version is still using the voltage to control the fan speed, can they come out a version that uses the pwm sensor to control the fan speed?
    Just imagine if NZXT can create a controller to accept 6 pwm fans and the user can assign different fan profile to each of the fan, wouldn't this be nicer?

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It would. But I am more concerned about way its software obtains temperature information.
    Because when one runs several applications accessing each monitoring chip directly like HWiNFO64, you run into risk of collision and crash.
    It is rare, but still happens. SO I hope this reads information on driver/BIOS level and not directly from chips.

Anyway, for what it does, price is quite OK. But it is not much cheaper than those 5.25'' 6 channel controllers. And some of them have their own per channel temperature measurement diodes.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Somehow I'm not that impressed... first of all I share Fox's concerns about the temperatures and how they obtain them, and secondly I don't fancy the montage of this thing... zip ties to some place inside my rig? Doesn't make me fuzzy at all.

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    because it is useless, the 4th pin fonction is done by the software and the hub...
    a bit like in the pioneer day when we used 2 pin with manual hub or serial connected hub (kind of USB for old people to connect everything on PC :) ).

btw you can plug a 4 pins fan on 3 pins just carefull of the color scheme to keep the regulation unplugged.

6. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    the best way to have temp is by probe connected to the box... a lot do that on their product, but for a bit more bucks.

NZXT is a bit like Mac Donald compared to great restaurante, it's inexpensive cool product but not top product.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh trust me, I see it that way, my last fan control (which I bought twice) was the Scythe Kaze Master II, and now I'm running an Aequaero 5 ;)

8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Don't most of today's motherboards ship with this on-board?
    I can't see a reason to use a fan controller when everything can be done via BIOS, unless you have loads of fans ofc.

9. EKRboi

EKRboi Guest

GPU:
    3x GTX970 / 3x AOC i2757
    I know my MSI X99S Mpower does and I love it. I'm using some 1->2 splitters to get all of my fans hooked up but it works beautifully. My particular board only has 2 headers than can do PWM, but that's ok. I have a PWM water pump and the fans are just voltage controlled.. use the nice GUI in the UEFI to set the curves and forget about it..Fans are controlled for any OS you are running. Fancontrol(Linux) or Speedfan(Win) can also be used to manually control if necessary. No extra box in my case that needs zip ties or double sided tape.. No special (likely Windows only) software to configure it. No ugly(IMO) 5.25 drive bay fan controllers.. I'm a happy camper.

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Why do we need this?

Fans these days are already pretty quiet.

I have 3 x 120mm Corsair AF LED fan in the front of my case just hooked up to a 4pin molex so they run full speed 12v all the time.

My rear 140mm Corsair AF LED fan is hooked up to the motherboard's fan header and is controller by the BIOS which runs it at full 12v speed all the time.

My last 2 140mm Corsair SP LED fans on my NZXT Kraken X61 are run through the motherboard CPU fan header via a fan splitter. The BIOS controls these fans running them also at 12v full speed.

Even with all these fan running full speed 24/7 I barely hear them as they are only running at 1500rpm for the 3 120's and 1440rpm for the 140's.

They barely make any noise at all. If I had Noctua's they would be even quieter. Also I have not run my PC without a pair of headphones now for almost 8 years so even if they were loud I would never hear them.

11. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    Energy efficiency maybe? I can't imagine fans use too much power but being able to control them down to low level when they're not really being used could be a simple way to cut usage.

12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    An additional fan controller will add to energy usage, especially the larger ones that can take more than 4 fans.
    But again, it depends on the motherboard I guess... mine as example has 3 case, 3 optional and 2 CPU fan headers, all PWM too, so I don't see a need for a 3rth party controller, that even if I would go all water cooling again.
    And the software that ASUS provides to control them is excellent too, which probably is the case for other board vendors as well.