Can An Apple fan give me Tip?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Pigchild, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    :bang:My 14 year old Daughter has the iphone S5 which I added to my plan a year ago. Big problem: What is going on with the Lightening Chargers?

This is no joke... In one year I have had to purchase 8 of these charging cords at a cost of $26.00 each. When I ask the "Apple geniuses" at their store, they tell me it must be misuse. (Ok, at first this was plausible but for 6 months I have been watching my daughter use these charging cords and she ALWAYS inserts and unplugs them from the phone base in the most delicate manner.)

By contrast I've been abusing and beating the snot out of a 4 year old Android Charger and still it even works great on my HTC M8 WP and never a problem.

So am I just 8 times unlucky with 5 original Apple chargers & yes, 3 failures with what I thought would be a better Belkin Lightening charger? They are no better.
    There's no way I'm the only person having this Lightening charger problem so may times. I could hit a 3 digit Lottery before that kind of bad luck.

The problem is so bad I'm about ready to pay the iphone off and get her a Galaxy6 or HTC phone. (Don't get me started on why the iphone screens crack so easy even with a protective case.) I beat the snot out of my HTC and don't even use a protective case! It still works just fine.

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I'm still using my three year old cable on my iPad4. Honestly I don't know how you could go through that many cords.

BTW I'm not that good with the cables and my wife is even harder on these cables and has only destroyed one.

3. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    You misunderstood... I'm not speaking of the nice durable iphone 4 & 4s charging cable which if you look at it is much wider and far more durable. I'm speaking of the Lightening charger cable. Please do not confuse the two. They are completely different.

My work provides me with a free iphone 4 which I have used for about 4 years now and NEVER a problem with that old charger. It's an indestructible tank. In comparison the Lightening charger breaks every couple months even if white velvet gloves are used. There is no way this is only happening to my daughters chargers unless their is a serious fault with it's solder points or basic construction.

No Mac person will ever speak of it, but why do all non-Mac people know very well of this real problem? There has to be a reason for that.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    That's funny because I was talking about the lightning cable. My ipad4, iPhone 6+, my wife's old 5, her new 6 and her iPad Air 2 all use lightning cables and as I sai we have only had one fail. Contrary though I have destroyed abou 3 30 pin cables.

May I ask where they are failing?

5. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super

6. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I've been using original cable that came with iPhone6plus, been using it for 9 months now, no problem at all (been tossing it in bags, etc...).

However you are not alone, there some people who also have bad luck with those cables.
    I am not really sure if it because of faulty cables of cables being abused (aggresivly pulled, stretch, etc..)

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Not had any issues with mine in the past..

But maybe try this, ZNAPS magnetic

8. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    its a known issue I've seen it a lot, ask the geniuses to change it, bring the broken one, they will most likely change it for free, same as bent iPhone 6 plus, no questions asked, they know there are serious issues with some of their stock

9. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Is the problem the cable or the charger?

Just buy an Amazon Apple certified cable for like a fiver and use a normal USB plug. Job done.

10. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    It's not the wall outlet part of the Lightning charger that keeps failing. It's always the USB cord. This time I'm going to ask for an exchange. I never have asked before because on previous visits they tell me they have never seen any problems with the cords they sell. I have all my receipts (5 of them over the past year.) Today I'm trying for a free replacement, but given their past denial of any manufacturing defects I'm pretty sure they will not stand behind their product.

I may try the soldering method that is posted on YouTube as a fix. This guy has had the same repetitive lightning cord problems I have had. In the video he explains the problem is due to poor quality control and poor factory soldering of the contact points.

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Just checked those out. That's a very nice setup, I may have to order me a few sets.

12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Still using my 3GS power cord USB connector...from 2009

13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Hmm. You could try a 3rd party cord and see if that helps ya. Usually 3rd party cords are cheaper than the Apple ones. Hmmm never heard of anyone going through a bumper crop of the newer style cables. However with the older style that came with the iphone 4 /4s I have heard of one user going through like 3 cables and when he got the 4th one he stopped giving Apple any more of his money. How is she charging the Iphone? by computer or by wall outlet?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  14. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    I have tried the Belkin brand and one other... (I forgot the name of that other brand.) OH! I forgot to update on todays fun trip to my local Apple-Mac store... Funny thing, tons of desperate people in there and not one of them is buying product! OMG! All of them we're there to drop off or pick up faulty product that was either reconditioned or repaired. (One guy walking out with a fairly new Mac monitor in his hand.) Oh Sheesh! I hate to see what that old guy paid to have that thing repaired.

I must say I did at least get some admission from an associate there whom was at least honest enough to admit there is and has been a rampant problem with the Lightening chargers. He gave me a tip... "Take the spring off a ball point pen and work it on the cord phone insert." he said this helps them last about 6 months longer than normal.

I don't get it... Everyone says Apple-Mac product is the best hardware money can buy. I'm afraid from my direct experience this is proven not at all true. Is Bigfoot also real? Marketing is an amazing thing and Apple is so good at this that they can sell junk and actually make people think it's top quality. I wish they could teach me how to sell Dung and make others think it's flowers!

15. p0ppa

p0ppa Guest

GPU:
    Strix 3080 OC
    I have my ipod 5 since jan 2013 with lightening connector without any problems. the white cable almost turned grey because of heavy use
    I have a ipod 4th gen *SPAM* back to its release date with the 30pin and have no problems with it
    Have iphone 5s since dec 2013 and the lightening connector works perfectly. I'm no apple fan but I've yet to encounter a product fault or exchange cables in them.

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Dude you obviously have come into this with preconceived notions about apple and it's users. Hell you avatar say's it all. If the spring fixes your issue than that is just proof it's user error causing the failed cables. You do not fold or put any stress at the base of a connector on any cable.

17. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
  18. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I have had my Ipod touch 4th generation since 2011 and that and the original charging cable still works. I have no idea why the OP had bad luck with the current generation of charging cables. My little cousin has a 5th generation Ipod and the cable still works don't know if it was the original cable or not but the only reason he would get a new cable is if he lost the cable somewhere.

19. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    I figured out the solution. As most should know from experience that the old 30 pin Apple charge cables were the best, I have a couple of them still working after years of abuse. For 5 bucks I found a small conversion adaptor. It allows use of the old (reliable style charger) to work on iPhone 5s. Despite the fake denial of many posts here... You people know the Lightning charger is junk, but I don't blame your denial. If I honestly and subconsciously convinced myself that my i product was worth all the money I wasted on it, then I would falsely make myself believe it was worth my money even knowing I was in denial of the real facts. (I suppose next some Apple person will actually claim the glass display is very rugged and not prone to easy cracking upon a 1 foot drop.) That's just blatant denial of fact.

20. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    As I said then. £5 Amazon adapter (Apple Certified).