Windows 10 - Tips and Tweaks

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Jul 30, 2015.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    If you use these "cloud" services or what we used to call servers, to store all your data, no need worrying about Windows 10 privacy.

2. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    The one drive issue is funny because if you have pro you can disable it in Group Policy, and if you're still paranoid, you can uninstall it by use of batch file. The other problem is that many of the average users I see complaining about this stuff probably don't even use a local account because they don't know how to set one up, or know to go into privacy and disable the options.
    All in all this whole privacy issue is really nothing and as you say it's really Microsoft's way of taking advantage of people's constant need to be connected and online. In doing so they're learning how people use their software and what features would be useful to some to bring to later versions of Windows.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

5. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Not sure if this has been posted, but to completely disallow Windows to search for driver updates on Windows Update:
    1. Open the Group Policy Editor by typing gpedit.msc at Start
    2. Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates
    3. Administrative Templates -> System
    4. System -> Device Installation
    5. Device Installation -> Specify search order for device driver source locations
    6. Enable
    7. Set to Do not search Windows Update

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Also long as we can stop Auto install/download of devices drivers, most the other options are going beyond what we had to do win win7/8, such settings would most usfull for system admins though

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Because with Win 10, MS took away our ability to choose which updates we install, including drivers, just about everyone with some coding skills is trying to give us back that choice

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    MS is right we all wrong and stupid and need to have hand held, we are also blind/ eye problems!! end of sarcasim, there reason I never liked MS they go back 15+ years, this what currently doing just adds to the list.

Only thing I will ever agree with is Security updates should be mandatory and should of been mandatory back in win xp. anything that is not Security related is not and should never be mandatory updates. for simple reason not ALL system are build with same parts let alone same sofware.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Agreed partially, I still think all updates should be optional though, if we read online that a security, or other update is bricking a lot of machines, we should be able to hide that update until it is fixed

At least with GP we can wait, but that also means we don't get anything else until we install everything

And I agree about MS thinking we are all blind, look how massive those bright multicoloured tiles are, Win 8 was the beginning of "All MS users are dumb"

Finger tips = small and accurate
    Mouse pointer = small and accurate

Android - small icons - easy to see and touch
    iOS - Small icons - easy to see and touch
    Win8/8.1/10 - MASSIVE tiles - suddenly we are all dumb giants with fists for fingers

Why ?

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well it works, but its GUI is only in Russian.. So not really ideal, unless you know Cyrillic.

[​IMG]

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol yup, luckily images are universal :)

Refresh icon is check for updates
    Down icon is download
    And down icon with a line under it, is install updates

12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I stopped worrying about the update system, until something happens that messes my system up, if that happens at all.

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    That's why we are worrying about it, there's already been 2 drivers and an update (Security update) that messed up our machines

14. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    That's one strange benefit for AMD users. We don't get many display driver updates so we're good :D
    The update that messed up explorer? I guess but it was before the 29th so I'm taking that on the chin.

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Well, going with MS's update history, it won't be the last update to kill machines, and speaking from a repair guys PoV, it'll cause huge problems for repair if we can't hide the update causing the problem

Doesn't matter that the update was before the 29th, the build that got the update was RTM

It's a stupid move by MS, and I`ll say it now, I expect them to reverse their decision, might take a while, but there will be enough complaints, I can almost guarantee it

16. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I'm not saying looking for workarounds or alternatives is a bad idea, just speaking from my point of view. I do have the tool to hide updates if I ever need it. A bit tired of buggering about with the OS to be honest :)

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Same, I'm hoping I never have to reinstall this thing, (Wishful thinking) I've changed so much just to make it usable, it would be a royal PITA to do it all again

If something forced me to clean install again, 100% I'd install 8.1 instead

18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Once you have everything set up how you want. Backup the OS partitions. It's what I do. I have one of my 8.1 installation so I wouldn't need to reinstall that.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

While security updates "shouldnt" be bricking a system I can see how that would be problem with mandatory updates it happens when some one label something "good for all" when there way to many configs and hardware setups

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

I normally do, but the OS wasn't stable enough for me to want a backup in that state, since the last update, it seems a lot better, but not great

Reminding me of Win 8, it took a years worth of updates before I moved permanently from 7 to 8

Too early for me to back it up right now, I`ll wait until at least the major update hits next month (SR1 or whatever it's called)

Yup, nothing should be mandatory IMO, too many problems - Microsoft thinks they are perfect it seems

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015