So how is FreeSync?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by RexOmnipotentus, Jul 27, 2015.

1. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    i havent used AB in a while, i know it can be done, just donr recall how. Might be in RTSS.

Use Radeon Pro, there is a tab for it.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  2. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Wow, GTA V is so smooth in 4K now and totally playable. I have no AA and Grass detail set to very high. Didn't touch the advanced settings. My FPS stays between 50 and 60 FPS and i don't even notice it (normally i would). I love FreeSync :D

Somehow i need to force the clocks for all the games i play or else the core speed isn't stable. I doubt that this is as intended.

Still can't find the option in RTSS, but maybe i'm just blind :p

3. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    use RP, its easier.

you can force it globally in RP as well as just on a profile by profile basis.

There is a bunch of other goodies in RP as well you might find useful.

4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    You can force constant voltage.

5. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    That's the only thing i can force with Afterburner.

6. slimpsy

slimpsy Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor Fury X
    I find that in games like witcher 3 and grand theft auto it works quite well, but I much prefer my 144hz unlocked range for shooters. Heavy drag on the aim with freesync on just doesn't feel as smooth as 144hz for them twitch awp shots :p

7. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    if you are getting 144, im not sure fs or gs is going to do much for you anyway.

Tearing is mostly unnoticeable at that point.

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    First of all check you AB settings (gear button from main window) are correct for crossfire:

Check:

- "Syncronize settings...."

- ALL settings In "Compatibility properties" BUT "Force constant..." (last solution...)

- ALL settings "AMD compatibility..." BUT "Enable unified GPU..."

Unofficial overclocking mode: SELECT WITHOUT POWERPLAY

Now the profile.

Create a profile for 3D with the clocks you want and save it in any of the 5 available positions:

AB main window:

- Set values: Core Voltage, Core clock and memory clock as you like, set +50 for "Power limit (%)" to avoid throttling.

- Apply (check button)

- Click diskette button and than click on the save position you want.

In AB settings menu (gear button):

- "Profiles" tab, click little right arrow on top right corner until you see the tab and enter in it.

- In "Automatic profiles management" select the 3D profile you set before.

If all of this is not enough THEN enable "Force constant voltage".

9. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Nice, now i have 3d clocks all the time :(

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  10. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    You can make a different profile for 2D and select it for 2D in "profiles" tab option:

"2D profile"

Disable "force constant voltage" if the previous works for you.

11. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I have my FreeSync monitor for about a week now and I think it’s safe to say that FreeSync is totally amazing. It works perfect with my CrossFire setup. Well, for DX 10 and DX 11 games that is.

Witcher 3 (DX11)
    FreeSync has an great impact on the overall smoothness of this game. The game felt smooth to me before, but there was a microstutter every couple of seconds. With FreeSync those stutters completely disappeared. The game is smooth as silk now. There is a problem with CrossFire however. As soon as I max out both cards for a longer periode of time the game will Freeze every couple of seconds. This is especially the case when I set the resolution to 4K. It’s totally unplayable, even if I stay in the FreeSync range.

Grand Theft Auto 5 (DX11)
    First let me say this. The game looks amazing in 4K. Everything looks so clean and most of the aliasing is gone. I love it. FreeSync is also amazing for this game. I don’t even notice if the game dips from 60 (actually 59) to 50.

Tomb Raider (DX11)
    Only installed and started this game for testing and needless to say that FreeSync also does an amazing job for this game. Everything feels silky smooth.

SWTOR (DX9)
    FreeSync doesn’t work with this game. Thruth be told, the game doesn’t need it really. The game is smooth if I lock the FPS to 59. There is some tearing here and there, but nothing serieus.

You might wonder why I lock my FPS to 59. I noticed that FreeSync doesn’t work if I lock my FPS to 60. I get a lot of tearing if I do that. I’m talking about the Framelimiter of RTTS. I’m golden if I lock the FPS to 59. FreeSync does work with 60 FPS if I use V-sync. I didn’t notice an negative impact on the FreeSync performance if I enable V-sync, but i'm not totally sure yet (that's why i use the 59 FPS lock at the moment).

I don’t know why FreeSync doesn’t work with 60 FPS if I don’t enable V-sync. Maybe RTTS creates frametimes that are slightly lower than 1/60 seconds?

If you have any doubt about buying a FreeSync monitor. Just go for it. You won’t regret it ;) This is simply the best monitor i ever had.

EDIT:

Elder Scrolls Online (DX11)
    FreeSync totally messes up this game. It's not smooth at all and FreeSync seems to cause alot of ghosting. The game is alot smoother with FreeSync disabled.

Seems like FreeSync will not work with all games, even if they are DX 10 or 11.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  12. mtdew332

mtdew332 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390x
    So has anyone here moved from a regular non-freesync 144hz monitor to a freesync enabled 144hz monitor?
    If so, can you comment on whether it is/isn't worth it in your opinion if you already have 144hz.

13. MrRixter

MrRixter Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 295x2
    Thank you for the crossfire feedback guys. Sounds really good but it seems there are still a few bugs AMD needs to iron out.

14. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I still need to force a constant core clock with Afterbuner (or Radeonpro). The core clock will throttle otherwise. Apart from that, it's great. The Elder Scrolls Online also seems to work now (don't know what i did wrong). Only downside is that there is no DX 9 as of yet. So if you want FreeSync with DX 9 games, you have to disable CrossFire.

15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Agreed, i love FreeSync, works great :D

16. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    So i can get the acer XG270HU for a great price here but not sure if it's a good choice between this or a g-sync + gpu upgrade. If I go freesync I would have to upgrade my gpu anyway so was thinking of chaning my r9 280x crossfire with maybe a fury (non x) or r9 390x and get this monitor. So do you guys think it's a stupid idea or should I rather just wait and upgrade like next year to a gsync and nvidia card.

I'm ion a qnix qx2710 @ 96hz.

17. BradleyW

BradleyW Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X CFX
  18. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    FreeSync monitors are much cheaper than their G-Sync counterpart.

19. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I didn't try it, but someone lowered the FreeSync range of my monitor from 40 to 33 hz. I don't really need it though. Everything under 45 FPS starts to annoy me.

20. BradleyW

BradleyW Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X CFX
    Yeah, it seems a few have had good success. I looked at the guide but I don't understand where to save the files and where the text file came from in the first place on the second part of the guide.