Is it normal to like 8.1 more than 10?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by NomadAssassin, Aug 8, 2015.

1. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    Can't believe I'm saying it but I like Win 8.1 far more than 10. Windows 8.1 is faster OS and has better UI (at least to me). Still Vista is my favorite OS of all time but Win 8.1 is amazing... now only if it had DX12.

2. machete

machete Member Guru

GPU:
    Asrock PG 6800XT
    vista was your favourite? are you trolling?

3. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    No im not trolling. It has nice pleasant interface and all my games run on it. Which I can not say about any OS after Vista. I just like it. Sad it's old OS now and I have to move on.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    The guy is 100% attention seeking troll

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    God forbid someone likes Vista. As I've said many times, Vista SP2 is nearly identical to Windows 7 under the hood. The only difference is in interface.

6. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    8.1 is good. Although for me the UI always felt unfinished and a giant mess of sandwiching two UI's together. Windows 10, feels much closer to what Windows 8/8.1 should have been in the UI department. Hopefully, further updates continue to remove the sandwich.

7. Fifka

Fifka Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080OC
    wasn't he the same guy claiming that he turn his windows in 12 seconds from HDD and saying that SSD are totally waste of money ?

8. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    yeah I'm the same.

9. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    You like whatever you like. Doesn't really matter what anyone else likes and don't let people tell you what to like.

10. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    A lot of people don't know how they feel about something, so questions like this are an invitation to shape their opinion about it.

11. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 perform the same on my system. Apart from the annoyances like XAML here, legacy over there, and the limited Windows Update system, I have no complaints.

12. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    After SP1 I had no trouble with Vista at all the wife is still running it.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ye me too lately now that I use win10 more. This strange modern style vs old style leftovers is just wrong.

Also its too buggy, reminds me of initial win8.0 release problems.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I liked Win10 until I "upgraded" to it on my laptop. Now I hate it..... It's the buggiest Windows release I've ever seen.

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    The show-stopper bugs in Vista, for me, lasted until 7 started leaking pre-releases, at which point I moved over to 7 and never needed to go back to Vista thankfully, but it was a much needed step for MS to create 7

Their bad > good rep I think is more like "Test new ideas > Fix those Ideas"

Shame it's us they test them on though lol

16. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I'm not saying that 7 wasn't a step up but for me it was more of the memory management end of things as Vista did not run well on lower end systems with limited ram. The oems tried pushing their leftover XP rigs on consumers as "Vista Ready"and caused a big this o/s is crap movement lol.The only real problem I had with Vista in my usage was the slow network transfers that was solved with SP1.

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Mine was mainly thanks to being stuck with a 3G Dongle for my net for a year, and Vista decided after every single shutdown and boot, that it would kill the service needed for the 3G connection, forcing me to reinstall the entire OS

Reported it to MS when the bug was still there in Win 7 leaks, who immediately took an interest, and spent about 2 weeks with me sending them logs and running programs for them, until they nailed it and the next leak didn't have that bug any more

18. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well, Vista SP1 Platfrom Update never came with the new DWM of 7...

19. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    I was about to say the same, because after the upgrade, the CPU, memory, and hard disk utilization is always high. Also the touch pad cannot be enabled/disabled from the hotkey. It's disabled by default and I have to enable it from the control panel.

But today I got an update for the touch pad driver and windows, and now the touch pad can be used as it was, and the CPU, memory, and hard disk utilization is normal

20. Valerys

Valerys Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2080S
    Vista is my all time favorite too. Not the under the hood stuff (drivers issues, software issues and so on) but it was the most feature complete and elegant OS so far (missed the siderbar in Win7, the screen at startup, the OOBE, the thin taskbar which even if it can be made thin in Win7 too it just didn't look the same and other aberrant default settings like the combined taskbar buttons, also I really liked in Vista the Aero that would turn off when fullscreen and so on).

But I see Win10 as an improvement over 8.1, I mean when 8 came out it was really annoying that a whole screen would change just to see a menu, the flash was hurting my eyes and also had to move the cursor a lot to do common tasks in it, Win10 also has thinner Explorer borders that were also there in prerelease versions of Win7 and 8 but for some reason RTM switched back to thick. And Win10 is also faster than predecessors because of the ability to use multiple cores in Windows tasks. I know this because Disk Cleanup used to take a lot of time before with just 1 thread of the 12 being used which I found annoying.

On the bad side the default settings in Win10 were made even worse, Windows Update which is forced enabled, the Defender that turns itself on, the forced OneDrive software. Of course as a power user I can disable all these but they are annoying to deal with in the first place.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015