AMD Catalyst 15.7.1

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by fish, Jul 29, 2015.

1. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    The ACX4 cooler is great, doesn't let my gpu go above 80C during summer, at
    a fairly high overclock, but something is really wrong with my VRM's, i got the
    back plate installed and i know its installed right cuz when i touch it i can't keep
    my hand on it for more than one second, meaning its 100C+, it consumes the
    heat, on top of that ive some custom cooling on the front of the pcb, an old
    XFX DD black plate, with custom aluminium on it, which cools it, so its
    cooled from the back and from the front, and still does this after 5 minutes of
    whatever.

[​IMG]

2. razorbackdb

razorbackdb Member

GPU:
    AMD R7 260x 2GB
    Anyone else has VRAM stuck at full speed on 15.7.1 and W10? maybe is a vBios problem on my end but I flashed my original vBios and still have the problem.

3. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    IceVip : unlike ACX3, ACX4 doesn't have proper VRM passive heatsinks, perhaps that gelid VRM kit would help you.

4. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Core temp 78°c

VRM1 easy 95°c

VRM2 65-70°c

When my gpu is clocked at 1100/1400

With 1150/1550

core hits 85 with VRM1 as high as 110°c.

For the guy that can't hit higher VRM1 temps even on air, i say launch Assassins Creed Unity, and start the game. Then go to the pause menu, choose character customization and pick gear, and go to chest or jacket or whatever it is called. Leave it at that for 30 mins, come back and check your temps. An easy over 90°C.

5. mrthuvi

mrthuvi Guest

GPU:
    Asus R9 290 DCII
    It is so in the case of multi-monitor and playing videos with hw acceleration (including in browser).

Anyway I've tried the new driver:

[​IMG]

Arkham origin is butter smooth, the slight stuttering when grappling is gone.
    Arkham Knight has much more stuttering compared to 15.7.1
    Assassin Creed Unity: free roaming butter smooth. Better than 15.7.1.

Edit: why the hell do I get the Lenovo suffix when ReaperXL2 get Rage 6 suffix?
    For the record I downloaded the driver listed at the top.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  6. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    @mrthuvi

The reason you get that suffix is the particular setup catalog you used. This driver update contains a couple of hundred catalogs. I went through a ton last night...and settled on one that match my device id with the ATI suffix. I did notice different features as I tried several of them...for example some of them do not have dx12 but instead showed dx 11.3 in dxdiag nor would it run the dx12 api test in 3dmark.

The top one if for most cards...I saw some setup catalogs having models back in 4000, 3000 and I even seem to remember a few with 2000. The ones below that are for specific cards in win 10, and then even more for for win 8 and 7.

7. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    For me, Anti-Aliasing causes high VRM temperatures mostly, so I lower it in almost every game. For example, in Sleeping Dogs I had at least 10°C (or more) difference between medium and extreme.

8. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Can't find this anywhere in bulgaria

9. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    The Setup Catalog I installed and used to install driver is C0187229 Incidentally it is the largest setup catalog file size and the suffix is ATI. Other ones that do not have my matching PCI\VEN number of "%AMD67B1.2%" = ati2mtag_Hawaii, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_67B1&REV_80 would install and show R9 200 Series in device manager but not always have everything as I mentioned previously.

I just went through all the catalogs again once again searching for 67b1 and found 10 catalogs with my PCI\Ven in them they range from ATI, AES, Dell, Lenova.

TBH I am not sure what the real differences are.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  10. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid

Hey bro :)

Ok, so I cleaned all the Gpu stuff from the system with DDU & re-installed 15.7.1 driver...

I then identified my device : "%AMD6818.1%" = ati2mtag_Pitcairn_XT, hardware id : PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6818&SUBSYS_27401462&REV_00...

I located my device in the .inf file C0187229, so I removed all other .inf & related files excluding folder b187212 (contains all the actual driver files) &
    c0187229.cat (related security catalogue file).

Used device manager to install the driver by pointing to the now slimmed AMD folder...

The driver updated the display driver only, leaving the previous audio/CCC & related files from 15.7.1 untouched (there is no CCC included in the updated driver 15.200.1065.0)...

Gpu shows correctly in device manager & all features are present in DX diag.

All features tested & working correctly...

API tests show a very slight drop in DX11 scores but real gaming tells a completely different story...

My games are now playing Uber Slick & all forms of judder/jitter or however it is termed, is now eradicated...

TombRaider is up around 4fps on it's max fps...

Max : 78.2fps, Min : 45.7, Average : 65.7fps...

Shadow of Mordor now runs at a solid 60fps (AB limited to keep temps down) & all settings are maxed except texture detail (medium due to 2gb vram game limitation), it also runs absolutely smooth without dropping any frames regardless of scene & animation complexity...

GTA V becomes a joy to play again...

Colours in general (in game) seem to have a more intense presence...

Edit !!!

Dying Light now gives me a solid 74fps (limited to 60fps for temp purposes), before it was up & down between 48 - 65 fps constantly...

All in all, so far a great discovery bro :cheers:

Stay Breezy n Be Lucky :thumbup:

Peace :toke:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015

11. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    nwm. Imagine there is a delete post button and I clicked on it.

12. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega

Great to hear...I noticed that some of the synthetic benchmarks drops...but I live the real world not a synthetic one. I really wonder why these drivers have not been put through the paces since they are WHQL.

Actually to be honest...I thought I found them..but today I was looking in the forums and they were posted 3 pages ago...and buried quickly, as even I missed that post.

Yeah it took me a bit of work to find the correct setup catalogs..but after that it has been great.

As some will say placebo effect on the colors lol...but your actual FPS testing really shines. The only demanding game I have been playing recently is DA-I and that is on hold anyway as I play through DA 2, once I realized I had not actually played it. So the RMA time on the R9 290x will be fine.

13. rab3072

rab3072 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 ULTRA
    Anybody else getting an error about the graphics driver not responding, then recovering with this driver?

Its happening far too often as well. Heroes of the Storm it's happening like every 10 seconds...

14. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I'll try to find some time to test this one tomorrow. Somebody should notify asder00 too :p

15. therandomizer

therandomizer Guest

GPU:
    R9 270X
    The other catalogs with your PCI\Ven are for certain OS versions.

I.e. C0187229 is for Windows 10, C7187725 is for Windows 7 and CU187227 is for Windows 8.1

Those 3 .cat/.inf are from ATI.

16. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Funny thing is I thought I found them...but found a post about them 3 or 4 pages back yesterday.

Based on what I looked at looking at the setup catalogs, and even asder stated in that thread once I read it was no need to mod for older cards as thier is support.

The issue for most with all of these is finding the correct setup catalog and since they do not include a set up nor CCC is how most will install.

17. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    I was using that as an example, good info though...I did not catch the different catalogs being for different win versions. That would explain when I was trying different catalogs before looking more closely why certain things would be different in dxdiag.

18. imadude

imadude Guest

GPU:
    r9 fury nitro
    Is freesync automatically enabled in this driver? I don't see the freesync checkbox anymore in the control panel and I have a freesync display.

i.imgur.com/S7G48MW .png

I can't post links due to low post count. I read more than post. :)

19. nilo

nilo Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SUPRIM X
    Win 10 Pro 64.
    Running smooth driver 15.7.1 without issues.
    I have VSR in both monitor outputs though I do not use VSR.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    This driver has a funny *.inf with HD2-4K legacy cards. But as expected, it installs on a HD4890 without erros, but doesn't seem to work correctly (can't even detect native panel resolution).