Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by PhazeDelta1, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Did exactly that and the media creation tool is installing again now. Slow as hell mind you. Thanks man! :D

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  3. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    I am making an ISO with the media creation tool now.

Will I ever need a product key or will it always activate fine as long as its on the same PC?

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Long as you upgraded from genuine first, and it was activated and online, you'll not need a key for future clean installs

5. dk_lightning

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    OK, Well I will be putting that to the test!

I cant get "Ultra Fast" boot to work as windows was installed under "Fast" so when changing it now all my drives vanish and thus no boot :(

Also some things are still being a litle "whakky". Like WiFi telling me connections are avalible but nothing showing

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Im running an activated clean install using the same method :)

Ultra Fast Boot? I only have the normal fast boot option, maybe it's specific to your machine? or is it a BIOS option?

Yea there are still a good few bugs, I read something this morning from someone chatting to a MS rep, saying there is a big patch on its way, but with no ETA, which addresses a shed load of bugs not fixed in July 29th build

7. dk_lightning

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    I have a Asrock Z77 Extreme 4. It has 3 Boot options. Normal, Fast and Ultra Fast.

Fast just means I cant boot from USB and Ultra Fast is for UEFI OS. But you have to enable it first and then install windows. I cant install windows then enable it witch sucks.

As for bugs, The RTM build I have already got on DVD works perefect for me. I have tried it but cant be activated :(

Will see how things are after a good format, and a clean install from DVD vs Windows "Reset".

8. Racayo

Racayo Guest

GPU:
    Asus R9 290
    Probably been anwsered before, but its getting confusing as hell this upgrade process. Can i create a usb flash using the tool, force upgrade my 8.1(since i get errors and whatnot using windows updater), then do a clean install with said usb flash?

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Ah right yea, you can use tools like Rufus to install in UEFI mode
    https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Your Win 10 should auto activate if that machine was genuinely upgraded first at some point, from 7 or 8.1

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yep, run disk cleanup first, clean system files before running the upgrade from USB

11. Racayo

Racayo Guest

GPU:
    Asus R9 290
    thanks a bunch Extraordinary, gonna try updating now

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll do that tonight. I know it'll f*ck up anyway haha

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    :D I was expecting that to happen, disaster trying the previous builds on that machine, very surprised to see it went perfectly with RTM

14. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Taken one full hour just to download 15%. Is it meant to be this slow? 78meg connection.

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

MS servers running out of bandwidth is my guess

16. Elite3540

Elite3540 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G OC
    Well, it downloaded W10 and while it finished and I also got those two error codes:

got 2 errors

WindowsUpdate_80070057
    WindowsUpdate_80240020

@ 99% download... --' got trolled by ms...

Also had, I already did the force update thingy like 3 times:

Try this What this error means is, your Windows 10 installation folder is unfinished and/or corrupted. Now, how do you fix that?
    1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
    2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
    3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.

- -

Does anyone have a idea in how to fix the errors and just make Windows update install W10? Hell, why do they have to make it so complicated, it would be so easier if we could of just install the ISO without a stupid key.

Still getting this notification.. :

[​IMG]

Translation: Glad that you reserved W10! (And I already reserved it when the icon came firstly like some months ago and the fact is, it's wierd that my mother's laptop DID get the update notification and I reserved it later on that one.

Also when I use the media-tool, I just get the message 'something's happening'. So I'm not sure what to do about that either.

Anyone has the same problem like I do?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  17. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I just done a clean install after upgrading and making sure Windows 10 was activated and now I can't activate, it says:

Error code: 0xC004C003

But when I used the tool I burnt a copy of Windows 10 Pro N

Could the N have possibly made that difference?

Seriously pissed off right now. I really can't be stuffed formatting to Windows 8 then doing 10GB worth of updates to 8.1 then updating to 10.

18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Opted out from insider builds and Windows stayed activated on my laptop. It does indeed look like insiders got W10 Pro for free.

I've used local account in Windows 8.1 Pro before but I think I'll switch to MSA. I really like the PIN login option.

19. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Pin login option has been there and I've been using it the whole time from Windows 8 to 8.1; you just had to set it up.

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    More than likely, unless your genuine previous OS was Pro N also