GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    using MY evga GTX970 SCC as a dedicated PhysX card until I can decide what I am going to do with it i may upgrade my office pc and use it in that.

2. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Master Guru

GPU:
    2070-SOC 2Ghz
    Alright cool, thanks for the info. Seems like a great card for the price point. I'm ganna go ahead and snag one, just not sure what model yet. I'm off to go shopping.
    Also do these need unlocked to get a full 100% fan speed? Can't seem to find anything so I assume that was some other card.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  3. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    I went from a PNY GTX670 to the Gigabyte GV-N970WF30OC-4GD.

My own experience was extremely vexing...to say the least.
    On receiving the card, I did a normal shutdown... pulled out my very functional GTX670.
    I installed the new GTX970 and it simply hung at a black screen on first power-on.
    It was only after rebooting and waiting for about four minutes, that the monitor got signal and the Windows splash screen appeared.
    That power-on-to Windows splash screen time has gradually diminished over five weeks of use.
    I still do not get a bios screen at power on...instead it stays black until the splash screen comes up...only now, it's approximately 1 minute.
    The computer runs great once booted into Windows (i.e...no crashes, blue-screens, instability etc...).
    My newest issue is I cannot boot into Advance start-up options.
    It simply will hang at a black screen if I attempt to.
    I am trying to disable driver signature verification to load a non-certified driver for a piece of hardware not related to the OS.

The black/blank screen issue should have been looked at seriously months ago.
    They're simply too many cases of it happening...across all manufacturers.
    Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, Zotac...they all seem to have instances of it.
    It warrants a look to determine the root cause.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  4. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Before changing gpus is always RECOMMENDED to first uninstall vga drivers. Did you uninstall driver? Your issue has nothing to do with digital signatures.
    Use DDU and uninstall (with restart ofc) and install again latest official Nvidia driver.

5. Techio

Techio Guest

GPU:
    XFX Fury 4096SP Unlocked
    I own two GTX 970s to help run games at 4K.
    One is Galax and the other is Gainward.

They're not overclocked but can run games pretty decently at ultra settings minus AA and sometimes shadows settings reduced to high or medium.
    GTA V on Ultra with view distance maxed, high detail shadows off and no AA, manages to run at 35fps stable. I don't look usually try and aim my games to run at 60fps constantly as anything above 35fps is adequate for me personally. :)

I used to own the Samsung S23A700D that was 120hz with 3D, but it was worth the downgrade/upgrade to Samsung U28D590D. 4K looks absolutely insane in games. :banana:

6. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    instead of resting can u deliver to me??

7. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Master Guru

GPU:
    2070-SOC 2Ghz
    Going from my 660 to a GV-N970G1-GAMEING-4GD Gigabyte G1 970

Picked her up on sale with a rebate for about $350. Retail from Microcenter.

So far it's been a bit of a mixed bag. I did attempt to uninstall and clean all drivers before taking out the 660. Halfway through it blanked and shut off the monitor and it did not come back. Reboot with the 660 still in and Win7 tries to install VGA drivers. I shut down not letting it finish and pulled the 660. That fan you see laying on the bottom of the case no longer fit with he longer profile of this card. I ended up modding it so it's back where it should be blowing air over the card. Booted right up and I was able to see POST and boot time seemed normal. I tried 353.06 first, installed fine tested some games seemed fine but got a bunch of driver crashes when using Chrome. Being a rly new card I figure better grab the latest, installed 353.30. Haven't seen a Chrome crash since.

Tested GTA V first everything maxed out sep the extended distance and my first thought was wow, this thing is a little power house. After less then 5min the card temp was up to 67c and boom CTD. At this point I had my case fans pretty low. After changing the fan curve for the card and turning up my case fans it doesn't get over 60c and seems very stable. At 100% fan this thing is quieter then my 660 windforce was by far. The 970 idle is like 28c, wow. The 660 was about 45c.

Testing out more games, Witcher3, AC:Unity, FC4, MKx all maxed out runs flawlessly but your right about not quite hitting 4k. I get pretty deep into DRS but 3x or 4x is a no go in these games but 4k in Alien Iso, BF3, Remember Me and many others is drop dead gorgeous. This is the first time in many years that my GPU isn't pegged at 99%. I am finally limited a bit by the CPU or system. I smell my next upgrade.

So far having a blast with it. Witcher3 looks and runs amazing. Shadow of Mordor and GTAv with Ultra textures, finally, runs smooth and looks super crisp. FireStrike Extreme WOW, graphics. I'll be testing more so let me know if anyone wants some 3dmark numbers or other benches. After more testing I'll update with more detailed experiences.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    Drivers were uninstalled prior to shutdown.

I pointed to the inability to boot into Windows advance startup mode (to allow me to disable driver signature verification on an unrelated piece of software), as an issue...not the cause.
    It's just my latest headache as a result of the issues with my particular GTX970.
    If I set GEN2 everything runs okay....which is irritating because my GTX670 will run both GEN2 and GEN3.
    I run Rfactor2 and Assetto Corsa... both of which benefit massively from the GEN3 setting and the PCI-e 3.0 timing hack on my hardware.
    A larger than normal number of Nvidia users seem to be having issue getting several different brands of the 970 to boot properly.
    It's actually the very first time... in all my years of running GeForce products, that I've had an issue getting one to boot properly out-of-the-box.
    I think the sheer number of complaints need to be looked at... and seriously by Nvidia.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I wouldn't run a 970 on a cheap 450W PSU mate. Look into upgrading it.

10. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Master Guru

GPU:
    2070-SOC 2Ghz
    It's actually a CoolMax 600w ZX-600. SLI ready. Cheap but it has respectable specs.

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=379

480 watts usuable on the 12v rail, so no its not a 600w unit.

The 500watt version in the above review(same components) blew up when put under load.

Garbage psu, advised to get a better one.

12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
  13. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Master Guru

GPU:
    2070-SOC 2Ghz
    Roger that. Looking into it. Thanks for the info.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I found a CoolMaX 600W spec online with 450W on the +12v rail, seems like there's different specs out there, either way, 450W or 480W, coming out of a 600W unit that just screams cheap and I would not touch it, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Yikes coolmax?

16. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Master Guru

GPU:
    2070-SOC 2Ghz
    PC was budget at the time for sure. Just getting into upgrading it. Good solid board AFAIK, next PSU then CPU then ram. This is what I love about PC gaming, building it up and enjoying the results.

17. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    PSU should be the highest quality component in your rig. It's what feeds everything else and prevents it from getting fried. Coolmax is made by some garbage Chinese OEM with literal bottom of the barrel components and assembly. It's as close to a fire hazard as you can buy. Wattage is less important than actual build quality.

18. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    get at least 80+ gold 650w for gtx 970 cos i use seasonic g-550 can't deliver enough power after 4 months usage. imagine if i OC my processor can it run stable? now i'm running 6x120mm + 1x140mm NZXT FN V2 with my rig on more than 8 hrs per day.

19. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Are you guys also seeing a price increase since launch? I'm looking at pricing history for several 970's and just about all of them were cheaper at launch and prices have been climbing steadily since around January.

20. FordLynx07

FordLynx07 Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 DOC
    Finally saw an actual Gigabyte G1 970 displayed in a shop. Its really huge!