Windows 10 Build 10240

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Jul 15, 2015.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Well I use Paragon Backup and Recovery free edition, hasnt let me down yet. Although it has the option to create bootable media (incl flash drives) havent tried it. I normally keep my images on hard drive.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/requirements.html

2. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    New AMD driver out on W10 update.

3. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    Thanks, looking into that now!

Anyone else getting explorer crash or force close when uninstalling a program?

This is something new after the reinstall last night. :puke2:

Edit:

Ok this also happens when I try to disable my network adapter..

Jeez, if anyone asked me yesterday if Windows 10 was ready for retail release I would have said yes without any hesitation! Today however, I am not so sure!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Booted up earlier. As as soon desktop appeared i go about clicking things. Taskbar wouldn't load for a bit then finally did. Now I can't load anything that's part of the OS like the settings menu, or the start menu. Even display settings. Says about missing classes or something.

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    [​IMG]

I will eventually reboot.

6. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    the latest update messed some things up.

going to network adapter in control panel causes it to hang then explorer restarts

7. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    Suspecting the same thing here! Reinstalled again and now I'm greeted with a lovely critical error upon first boot! "Start Menu and Cortana aren't working"!

8. Terje_P

Terje_P Active Member

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    I can confirm that KB3074681 causes issues with networking.

With the update installed explorer will crash each time you right click on your network adapter and try to change any settings.

No amount of reinstalling network drivers will fix this, it is an issue with KB3074681.

I'm surprised Microsoft didn't notice this problem.

9. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070

microsoft is using us as lab rats for there patches.

they're not getting testing much before release.

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I'm back to windows 8.1 for time being. Cant even alt-tab out of games in 10. Will wait for more patches to come through before going back.

11. WhiskeyOmega

WhiskeyOmega Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 MSI GXT
    No issues here really. Aside from the REALLY annoying windows firewall notification. Anyway to turn that off ?

12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
  13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They should be in crunch time but I see they still haven't bothered to rollback that patch or issue a regression fix. I cancelled the win10 reservation on my parents' laptop. I can handle these things but I won't inflict it on them until MS revises their update policy. Windows 7 is enough for them anyway.

14. WhiskeyOmega

WhiskeyOmega Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 MSI GXT
  15. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Don't know then. Works fine here.

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Just loaded up CrystalDiskInfo and heard the temperature warning bell! Turned out my two externals hard drives were at 58 C and 51 C!!! I immediately unplugged both of them and they've now cooled down to around 45 C and dropping. Seems the Windows 10 file backup is the cause as it is constantly backing up files to the lower drive and because that is getting hot it is raising the temperature of the drive which is sat on top of it. Just thought I post that here as a warning for anyone else using an external drive for constant backups. It isn't even warm here in the UK (it's about 13-15 C).

*EDIT*
    Both drives are still being accessed by Windows and hovering around 48-52 C with 87% usage on the warmest (hottest?) drive. What is using the drive? PerfectDisk 13 doesn't work with Windows 10 (and I have the two services disabled anyway) and the default defragger is only enabled for the SSD (to do a trim once a month). There is no backup running as the Windows 10 File History is turned OFF. Nor is Windows Defender or any other anti-malware detection software running in the background.

So what is using the drive??? :bang:

*EDIT 2*
    TaskManager shows that both drives are being read only at about 3 MB/sec. I've checked the Indexing Service and, sure enough, one of the drives (J) was included as it contained backups of my Pictures, Documents, Music and Pictures folders (so does the other drive, L, except it was not included in the indexing). However, despite removing the J drive from the indexing it is still being read along with the L drive.

How can I find out which program is reading the external drives? Never had this issue on Windows 8.1 (as far as I am aware) so I am guessing that it is some Windows 10 specific program or app.

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Open Task manager > Performance tab

Link at the bottom for Resource monitor

Open the Disk view and see if you can see which processes are using the disks

18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Cheers, Extraordinary (really living up to your name there!). :D

Seems the offender is MsMpEng.exe, which I believe is Windows Defender. Obviously need to exclude the J and L drives from its scanning. Do not need it anyway as it scans the original locations on my I drive.

Thanks again.

*EDIT*
    It took a few minutes but the Resource Monitor eventually showed both external drives at 0% usage and their drive lights have stopped flashing. Guess, I can turn on the File History backup again and see if the drives overhead. Weirdly, the Windows 10 upgrade copied all of my Windows Defender exclusions from Windows 8.1 and I never excluded the J and L drives from its scanning and the drives never got hot either. Maybe the Windows 8.1 version did not scan the external drives by default and that has been changed in Windows 10?

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Nice one :)

Yea, that defender seems to be causing people some grief lol

20. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Disable completely.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5918-windows-defender-turn-off-windows-10-a.html