Rise of the Tomb Raider is Coming to PC in 2016

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Square Enix has announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider will be released on Steam and Windows 10 early in 2016, with the PlayStation 4 version coming later in the year. And from the sounds of it, this ...

Rise of the Tomb Raider is Coming to PC in 2016

2. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Awesome news.

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    If it's only coming on Windows 10, it's very likely it will be DX12.

4. k37chup

k37chup Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 4070
    Good. I love new Tomb Raider game.

5. Battlefieldprin

Battlefieldprin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 780TI DC 2 OC 3GB
    it seems most developers are really trying to take their time releasing a game to windows , after the mess of Batman title .

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Crystal Dynamics made great job on Tomb Raider 2013. I would be more surprised if they actually released bad game.
    Having 100% completion of this game, really worth every $ on pre-order, not like so many other who fail.

7. aless83

aless83 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte r9 280x
    In 0:49min in the video, are those tools on her back clipping?

8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Great, loved the reboot.

9. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Good. M$ first using it to boost Xbox one sell . and now promoting their new OS.

10. kinggavin

kinggavin Guest

GPU:
    gtx 980TI super jetstream
    be interesting to see if nvidia get the game and slap hairworks on lara or amd get it and use tressfx like the last game

11. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Don't get why this needs to be a Windows 10 only game, it doesn't even look like it would benefit much from DX12 anyway - it's not like there's loads of interactive and complex objects happening on the screen at once, which is what DX12 is mostly about as far as I know! Looks like this title could be just as good on DX11 given the video, and hence should be available for Win 7/8. Win 10 only is for me just a ploy to make people change to Windows 10, even if this title is DX 12 (because doesn't look like this title would benefit from DX12 anyway).

12. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 SUPER GamX
    "Hairworks"? Is that some new PhysX extension?

13. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 SUPER GamX
    Supposedly everything will benefit from DX12 simply for increased sustained framerate on a wider variety of hardware.

14. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    After 10 years of people bitching about consoles holding back pc, I hope to god people aren't going to complain about windows 10 exclusivity ( if it is true ).

Games were held back by 32 bit for too long with complaining technological stragglers with their laptops...if in order to capitalise on the new API it needs to be win 10 only then so be it, the game will be better for it.

If people don't want to be 'forced' to buy win 10...don't, just skip the game or get it for $10 in 2 years time when you upgrade, it's not the end of the world.

EDIT:

P.S, I am aware that win 10 has nothing to do with 32 bit, I was just using it as an example of tech held back for too long by reluctance to accept that to move on you need to cut away the old requirements.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  15. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    It will be DX12 ...

Its use TressFX 3.0 from AMD on Fur, hairs, .. and some other special "sauce" for snow .. Thoses techs are ofc aallready on the XboxOne version ..

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015

16. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    If you've got a weak CPU, otherwise it's not a big deal, and this E3 Vid is showing that Tomb Raider is not a particularly complex title in terms of CPU power required in my observation. I think this should be in DX11 too, 'wrong' to supply it just in DX12 Win10 as it's not technically required by the demands of the game - just not a complex game from a CPU perspective it seems.

17. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    I doubt this will be Windows 10 only they'd lose too much money but either way I'll be upgrading this is just another incentive.

18. GPU

GPU Guest

win 10 is free btw -not running w7-w8 time to upgrade.or pass on the game imo.

19. Smooth Operator

Smooth Operator Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX690
    The snow deformation in the videos looked terrible whatever solution they are using is very laggy and inaccurate, recent titles I can think of, Arkham Origins and AC3 did a much better job.

20. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    By 2016, almost everyone currently on Win7 & 8 will be on Win10, anyway. Going forward, this will really be a complete non-issue, and the unification of the entire Windows ecosphere under Win10 will be a huge boon to PC gaming, imo, as well as all other Windows software venues. Practically overnight as these things go, Windows 10 is going to unify things for game developers--and questions like "Do I code for Win7, Win8, or Win10?" won't have any meaning any more. It's also going to hugely jumpstart game development for DX12 as it will soon be running on a majority slice of the entire Windows market--I really do think some of the best software we've ever seen is about to be written, beginning in the near future as the Windows-market fragmentation will come to an end--or the great majority of it, anyway. This is going to inject growth into the PC sector such as hasn't been seen in many years--and on the gaming front, really the only thing that can slow it down after the Win10 transition are the game consoles (as usual, right?)--but at least Microsoft can remedy that by getting DX12 on xBone ASAP--which I think will happen almost immediately. The next 12 months should be very interesting..!