The Witcher 3 Best Performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Raziael, May 19, 2015.

1. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    i have everything on, all ultra except no AA and no hairfux...I dont know why these jokers couldnt patch in tressfx, its open source.

I get around 53fps normally with dips into the late 30s on rare occasions.

Im also using sweetfx and reshade through hunters config.

2. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    mechanical drive. but i find playing with the settings doesn't do much for it in terms of GPU usuage. somehow it always finds a way to sit at 99%, unless I drop to 900p..

and yes, I am at 1.07 sir!

EDIT: I have to say i've experimented with settings, and low shows no gains over what I usually use. which is all on ultra minus foliage and shadows (dropping to medium adds frames, low does nothing more)

SSAO, no blur, no AA, no sharpening..

I'll try 50hz, but I think 900p shows more benefit

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    @janos666 I prefer not to touch options like these, because I want to experience games as their creators wanted them to be experienced. I get your angle, it's just not for me.

@kandata94 This was happening to me because of my game controller drivers, and not because of RadeonPro. Do you have any controllers attached? I have a PS2 to PC adapter with two controllers attached.

@nevernamed The game will never have 100% the frame rate set, because it needs to load assets from time to time. The 50hz setting lowers the threshold that the game needs to reach to give you sync, and it can help a lot. Try to set a 50fps frame limiter too. As for the settings, AA, SSAO, foliage distance, hairworks and shadows are the only ones that have immediately felt performance differences.

4. Wolfehunter

Wolfehunter Guest

Thanks janos for this. I'll try out some of your settings.

I use tess x16 for the hair on my ccc. Hairworks is off. I get nice look with no performance hits. Also I find that fullscreen mode works for gammas. Didn't do that for original first patch but after 1.05 upto 1.07 It worked. I to don't like blur and dof settings. Dunno why its there. bloom is a bit too much I wish there is a way to reduce its strengths.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2015

5. Eoma

Eoma Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070 SJS
    All post process on except AA, video options all high except textures and detail on ultra, hairworks off - ~60fps. Cat 15.7 on R9 290, win 7.

6. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3

Wait.. I'm confused right now. How do I set Witcher 3 to 1080p 50hz?

Edit: Ok. I see by setting the monitor to 50 hz and rebooting the game it locks to 50.. problem is even at high, the framerate stilll drops to mid 40's in the trouble areas.. it doesn't when i drop everything to low. but I don't want to play the game on low settings. lol

edit 2 : put it back to 60 hz, and in my problem area the frame rate hangs around 51 fps........... with everything on low.. 99% usage still.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  7. tibbtobb

tibbtobb Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x @ 1150
    You could try setting your monitor to 45hz with custom resolution utility, gives the best balance between graphics and fps in my opinion with the 280x. I play with most settings on high and HBAO+ except shadows on medium, and get 45 most of the time but a few drops to 40 occasionally. Going to change to W10 soon to get the last bit of performance I need. I'm not sure how good the ingame vsync is though (I use radeon pro) but I guess you could maybe use D3DOverrider if it doesn't work well.

8. kandata94

kandata94 Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X DirectCU II
    I have an asus vh242h which vertical frequencies oscillates between 50hz and 75hz(lower resolutions). I can play with 50hz/50fps locked pretty much all time with all setting maxed except SSAO,Foliage and shadows to medium, but in novigrad my framerate is too much variable, it goes down to 35-40fps causing stutters (especially with rainy weather). D3doverrider doesn't support dx11.

@PrMinisterGR I tried without any controllers drivers and witcher3 keeps crashing

9. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I don't know how much I can help at this point. I'm playing downsampled from 1440p with Doube Vsync and everything on ultra except foliage distance at high and shadows at medium (I used the NVIDIA performance guide, the differences in shadows are imperceptible, but the performance hit is not). Which Windows version are you using? I'm on Windows 10. I can't think of a reason except 3rd party software that RadeonPro might crash your game, seriously. The last ditch effort would be to install the VC++ redistributable package (it has helped with crashes in the past), do (again) a DX install, and maybe try installing .Net again.

10. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    Does anybody else have this game taking 99% of the GPU with a 280x with all settings on low @ 1080p?

There is virtually no performance gain from dropping down from ultra on everything but foliage and shadows..

11. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Foliage distance, shadows, HBAO+, AntiAliasing, Water Quality (in Skellige), they all have performance impacts. The greatest being from foliage distance. The game using 99% of the GPU is a good sign of a well written engine actually.

12. kandata94

kandata94 Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X DirectCU II
    Tried with nothing running in background, with updated dx and VC libraries. The last attempt will be switching from win7 to win10, otherwise i'm going to play without radeonpro unfortunately. Thanks for your help anyway PrMinister

13. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    No problem man. The jump is worth it, by the way.

14. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3

Yeah, but when the framerate still stays exactly the same, low vs almost ultra on everything, there's something not right.. especially when 900p doesn't behave like this..

15. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If you change any of the things I said, the frame rate doesn't stay the same definitely. Our cards have only 32 Rops, keep that in mind also.

16. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3

Well based on my tests last night, putting everything on low affects absolutely nothing... 1080p where I am, it hangs around 41-46 fps.

edit: yeah, I think that 32 rops is playing a role in this..

17. niczerus

niczerus Guest

GPU:
    MSI GamingX 580 4GB
    the game runs better on windows 10 last version ? i have the win10 on a hdd of 5400rpms and is slow to boot and start (vs win7 on hdd of 7200rpms) so my benchsmarks and performance test is not fair :banana: .

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  18. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    good lord, anything is going to be slow on a 5400rpm spinner.

19. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    What's the spot you're get these numbers?

20. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    the quest where you and the baron go to where he buried the baby. that whole area.. that anytime when there is rain, the framerate just suffers badly.