Microsoft Reports A $2.1B Q4 Loss

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Microsoft Corp. has announced that revenues for the quarter ended June 30, 2015 were $22.2 billion. Gross margin, operating loss, and loss per share for the quarter were $14.7 billion, $(2.1) billio...

Microsoft Reports A $2.1B Q4 Loss

2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    That Nokia deal tho.

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I guess i also contributed, cuz i'm still on Windows 7 :p

4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    So, their revenue is 23B in three months, and they still manage to not be profitable?

That takes some getting used to.

5. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    That'll happen when you write off literally an entire company.

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Yep, they wrote off $7.6 billion for Nokia.

7. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Imagine where they'd be if Yahoo! had had sense enough to take the $40B Ballmer offered & run...that is one example of someone's prejudice against Microsoft literally rescuing Microsoft from itself...Good thing for the company that Ballmer has retired...

8. LBJM

LBJM Guest

GPU:
    latest green team
    If that's the case I'm still on win95A :D

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Maybe they'd have more profit if... I dunno... their damn consoles had more than 50% the GPU power of the competitor so they'd sell a bit more. Not using a gimped memory system that restricts resolutions really awkwardly would have helped too.

That and maybe not having an OS interface so ugly that they had to skip an entire generation's name to try to disassociate it from the past stigma and give it out for free to try to get people to upgrade.

Seriously I will never get used to the pseudo retro look of MS's Metro.

10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Biggest reason they ain't selling is their unveiling the damn console failure on epic scale + not having major exclusives out in a year. Yet it is still selling fine and not giving them losses. If you cut out the nokia part from their losses they would have turned over 3 billion profit.

11. MS will come out from that, one way or another...

The biggest problem with MS now is that they have over 80% desktop market share, and Windows Operating Systems are in stagnation since Windows XP, and in fact, they are worse in some ways, huge resources are spent in protecting the product (including computing resources of end user), and far less in protecting consumer, you simply can't have both and good functionality.

I guess I don't like Windows domination on desktop market, same as I do not like Google domination of mobile market..., tho, google have far better/more fair ways compared to MS.

I'm glad i finished with Windows for personal use, and I'm sad I didn't do that much earlier (it would save me lot's of nervs lol).

12. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    As a local (Microsoft headquarters is 50 miles away), I get a fair amount of MS news. After the joke that was Ballmer, early indications are Nadella is steering the ship in the proper direction. He's trimming the fat. The moral at cutthroat MS is notoriously awful though, can't say if that's improving.

13. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Doesnt this just reflect what amd and intel recently posted in regards to OEM sales?

14. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Different, they had to basically take the loss of cleaning out an entire company (Nokia).

15. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    I think they could be gone if Google released a proper desktop OS for free, and now look Windows with bing for 0$ its still better than no windows :)

16. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    If Microsoft did go bust in some strange future. I'd move over to one of the many Linux distro's. Wouldn't go near a Google desktop OS to be honest :D

17. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Check out this Robolinux Cinnamon Raptor v8.1 http://www.robolinux.org/free/f.html
    Its missing some basic stuff like networking and drivers but the rest of it, just so so nice