Skylake Core i7-6700K clocks to 5.2GHz on air cooling

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 21, 2015.

1. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I don't know about you guys but....what air? ok ok but not a temp of the cpu in the screenshot? just saying

2. grizzlyhoges

grizzlyhoges Guest

GPU:
    GA HD7990
    I built my PC about 3 years ago with a 2600k and only started overclocking it to a stable 4.5Ghz about a month ago. It feels like an upgrade without having to buy hardware.

That coupled with my 7990 has still got plenty of frame pushing life in her yet.

3. Ryrynz

Ryrynz Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 960
    I wish people would stop justifying their decision to hold on to old tech.. it really is spam if you ask me. Either you want to upgrade or you don't.. you'll lose money either way. If you got it to spend and you want performance you'll upgrade.. if you don't have the cash and are going to wait then you won't save yourself much by doing so. Newer processors tend to hold their value quite nicely, older tech generally not. So.. it comes down to if you got the cash if you value the performance and if you value the possibly energy/noise/size differences.

But yes potentially you can hold on to that for a good long while..

If you don't give a crap about anything else then sure.. we all know CPU gaming performance hasn't changed much (GPU limitations mostly) You don't need to justify your decision, hell many of us don't even care if you upgrade or not and we already know how things stack up, this will be the first processor upgrade in a while providing a significant upgrade, notice the 95W TDP.

Posts like these make me want to pull out a gun. There are benefits.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  4. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    err, how old are your girlfriends???? :)

5. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    So Intel finally allow the chips to run at the stock boost speed at which I've been running my 2600K oc'd all the time for nearly 5 years now. Should oc to 4,5 even on the worst samples then. I'll still wait for Skylake-E, only 6 or 8 cores are a true upgrade, and games are starting to use that many.

6. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    Which games are you referring to?

7. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Exactly! Sandybridge was a huge jump in performance, and since then gains have only been a few percentage points from generation to generation since then - people who decided to buy a high end Sandybridge CPU really made the best buy!

8. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    How about you stop being a hater and let people express their opinions.
    Other people with no knowledge may come to this topic from google searches and will want to see what the forum thinks in regards to upgrading from sandy.

Yeah what benefits? M.2 slot? More SATA 3 ports? More USB 3.0 ports? Huge benefits right there. OH OH! More PCI-Express lanes. 'rmagherd!
    Worth throwing 500$ for let's say 20% CPU performance (OCed) and the features above? I'd say no.

Maybe if you have a lot of SSDs and your GPUs constantly run out of VRAM for those PCI-E lanes to shell some speed (lol) and you are a USB junkie with a lot of 3.0 stuff hooked in, yeah. Then it's probably worth it. For the >95% of us that remain, it's not. It's 500$ man. I'd just raise a bit more money and get a 980Ti. Or buy another 970 and get another cymbal for my drumkit. Or a huge-ass SSD. Or something similar which I actually need.

9. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    Perhaps Intel should make something actually powerful and worth upgrading to. What's the point in getting a new motherboard and CPU for +/- 10% performance increase? It's not being cheap, it's being smart.

Jokes on you. A 3770k still sells for $200-$275 on eBay. Original MSRP was $332. Three years later and they've only come down $100 in price.

I'd say that's holding it's value quite well. Hell a 2600k still sells for $150-$200 and that's four years old.

Besides that there's almost no reason to upgrade from a decent 2600k setup. If perhaps someone were still running a board with DDR2 and USB2.0, then an upgrade would make a huge difference. But upgrading for a slight performance bump? Not worth it.

I've already got plenty of USB3.0 and SATA6 ports. I'll upgrade when a major leap in performance is released or if the mobo or CPU dies, whichever comes first. Motherboard dying was the only reason I upgraded from my 9850BE in the first place.

10. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    Guild Wars 2 for example. In heavy Zerg situations my FPS slow to a 1-digit crawl, while I know people in my guild with similar graphics cards but 6-core CPU maintain close to 40 FPS.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You do realize GW2 is singlethreaded just like any other mmo. Higher ipc and core clock will make game run faster, not 6core CPU.

6700k run over any past gen 6core CPU when it comes to games.

12. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Weird, with my CPU i have never seen GW2 hit lower than 20 fps. Even in heavy zerg situations.

13. trentbg

trentbg Guest

GPU:
    nVidia
    Yeah sure, if you are an Intel stock holder :)

14. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    Boots at 5.0, runs Pi at 5.0.

Not stable at 5.2Ghz or they would boot it, not stable at 5.0Ghz either because it's not a single Pi test that's gonna prove the stability of an OC.

I can boot with 4.6Ghz of OC and prob higher, but that's it, then i run tests it crashes.

No way it'll be stable even at 5.0Ghz on Air.

On top of that the benches posted are underwhelming, this is what we get when there's no competition, will stick with my old bud 4670k for some time it seems.

15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Don't take this the wrong way, Ryrynz - but people are just essentially saying Intel and AMD are not moving forward in performance as much as the believe they should.

For a tech forum, this is quite common, as we are all pimping our rigs in whatever way we can to get more performance. Personally I got 4.6Ghz running out of liquid cooled setup and can say that this new chip on the horizon is not the leap forward I would have liked to see.

And it's an interesting question: have we reached a point where chips can no longer gain anything substantial in processing power and are now at a point in time where power efficiency is the only gain?

We want processing power - and they are not providing it. This is either because the competition is not providing enough oomph or, more depressingly, it's because that is where we are with current CPU/PCB/Silicon designs/constraints.

How do we move forward? Redesign the computer? Redesign CPU's? Redesign Binary and move to Trinary/Qubits?

Problem is somewhere, and it's hard to point a finger at one thing, but easy to fall back on what we have already got on our desks...

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    But.. but I need 500fps to be able to play video games! My CPU totally holds me back!

17. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Oh no.. here we go already. Welcome aboard all AMD fanboys! The hype train will be departing momentarily! Remember to take upcoming fake benchmarks as the truth so when we arrive at product release the crushing disappointment will be just like last time!

18. grizzlyhoges

grizzlyhoges Guest

GPU:
    GA HD7990
    I thought the main reason to upgrade (from a gaming perspective) was when you started noticing the latest games dropping frames and becoming unplayable, not just because there is new architecture available.

Way back in 97 or 98, I can’t recall but after I managed to install a 40MB zipped up version of Quake on my Cyrix 6x86 100MHz powerhouse, it ran like a slug. Duke Nuke ran fine but I now needed more frame pushing grunt. I think I bought a Riva tnt2 ultra to help, which it did, to a certain extent, but atleast I could play it in 640x480 at high settings.
    From early 2000-2010 I have probably bought half a dozen GPU’s with at least 3 complete PC rebuilds trying to keep up with current games. From 2011-2015 I have the same rebuild having only once upgraded the GPU that is circa 2013 vintage.

Sure GTA V made my rig groan as it probably did with lots of others with an average fps of 20-30 with a 2600k at stock 3.5GHZ settings, but with some tweaking and OC’ing of both CPU and GPU the game runs an average fps of 60ish (some dips) on what I would call medium graphics. On top of this, I can now run BF4 at 120fps on high settings…which is drooltastic when running the blur buster strobe in background.

But Ryrynz, don’t pull your gun out just yet. Although tech gains spiked about 3-4 years ago, I guarantee that I don’t need much of an excuse to rebuild my current PC in 6 months’ time with skylake architecture. After all, there is way too much dust my old girl and I need something new and shiny =:B

19. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Gonna wait another 1-2yrs then most likely retire the old warhorse.

Then probably get a new case/screen as well.

p.s not having any game issues yet. Although yeah a 10 or so fps boost would be great.