i7 4790k Very High Temps idle and load

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by sybnios, Jul 19, 2015.

1. sybnios

sybnios Guest

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB G
    Hey everyone!

I really need a helping hand out here. Here is the story, I moved from the United States back to my home country in Greece and shipped my 6 months built with freight. I re assembled my PC which was extremely carefully packaged.

I have a 4790k on a Maximus VII Hero, Seasonic Platinum 860XP2 my cooler is Hyper EVO 212 and I have the MSI Gtx 970 which I manually OC +150 core clock, +200 memory clock, +12mv.
    My case is Cooler Master Storm Stryker with default fans.

So everything is assembled and I boot my PC to see that the temps these last 3 days vary from 45-60 just sitting idle!!!! I ran a test with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility for 5 min and the temps reached 90c!

I updated to the latest bios but no difference. I loaded the optimized defaults on bios, the temps were the same. I disabled the Turbo clock (4.4Ghz) and the temps dropped about 4c on idle and on full load were at the low 70s. Ok that is acceptable I suppose but the idle temps are extremely high I think from a research I did. Even back in the US I never had temps like 25-30c other users have but I had late 30s and 40c and on full load 70c

I read on different threads about tweaking cpu core volts but I am not that experienced and could use some guidance.

The thermal paste is Gelid GC Extreme btw and I have applied that 3 times with the same results. Twice with the pea method and once X shaped.

Any help will be deeply appreciated I don't know what else to do.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    You need to switch to windows balanced power plan @ idle and those temps will drop to that 25-30C. I usually get these temps, but now in summer with 32C outside its 33-38C atm..

Also in bios by advanced cpu settings enable C-states (c1e, c3 is enough) and dynamic storage accelerator - same in intel RST control panel.

3. sybnios

sybnios Guest

GPU:
    Thanks for your reply!

I did what you said with the power and plan the only thing I gained was a drop to the temps 5-10c but on idle only. I was reaching 45-60c before and with the balance plan I get 39-42c with some spikes at the first 3 minutes the PC boots into windows that can reach up to 66c. I leave my PC to load any programs which is almost instant since I have an SSD drive and then I run Afterburner to read the temps!

Again when I try a game just for 10 minutes like Witcher 3 I get up to 82c temps.
    I entered the BIOS enabled Dynamic System Acceleration and about the C-states I did the following.

Enhanced C1 State->Enabled
    CPU C3 Report->Enabled
    CPU C6 Report->Disabled
    C6 Latency->Short
    CPU C7 Report->Disabled
    C7 Latency->Long
    CFG lock->Disabled
    Package C-states support->Auto

Also by enabling those two C-states won't my SSD performance decrease?

4. basco

basco Guest

GPU:
    560tfII
    what is your vcore under load and idle??

5. sybnios

sybnios Guest

GPU:
    The vcore on idle based on Intel Extreme Tuning Utility was minimum 0.7040V and under load was 1.2710V

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

Those load temps are high, dunno why, I guess something doesn't have good contact then..

Dynamic storage accelerator controls c-states, but you also have to enable it in intel Rapid storage driver (control panel - performance tab)

it will adjust c-states according to windows power plan

balanced - C3
    high perf. - C0

7. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    thats a pretty high voltage, are you sure you're running default voltage?

8. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    yeah that can't be default voltage, but even so, idle temps should be nowhere near that.

my 4670k with a xigmatek aegir at 1.21 volts 4.6ghz never goes above 60 in load, and idles at 25-30 depending on ambient temps.

I suggest you start googling overclocking guides as there are no shortcuts to overclocking.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  9. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Not sure if it helps, but, for reference, here's some temps I measured on my 4790K (with RealTemp 3.7) at stock speed, stock voltage (0.756 @idle, 1.176 @load).
    This is in an NZXT Phantom 410 with 1x GTX970 (stock), standard fans, low speed setting.

4790K w/ Stock Cooler:

Ambient: 18c
    Idle: 26.5c (+8.5c)
    Load: 75.5c (+57.5c)

4790K w/ Zalman 9900MAX Cooler (& Arctic MX-4 paste):

Ambient: 26c
    Idle: 29.5c (+3.5c)
    Load: 54.0c (+28.0c)

30+ min Witcher 3 gaming sessions used for load temps.

10. sybnios

sybnios Guest

GPU:
    Thanks for the info! I did that my SSD actually on benchmarks at least has better performance but my temps although dropped a bit more, now when idle I get 36-37 but again on load it can reach easily 84c!

11. sybnios

sybnios Guest

GPU:
    I have never touched the voltage.. Only thing I changed is the Vcore from auto to adaptive since I read that this will help reduce the temps. How can I change the voltage to default?

12. sybnios

sybnios Guest

GPU:
    But how can the voltage changed without me changing it? The only thing I did was to change the Vcore from auto to adaptive. Yes the temps are very high everyone says that. :(

I don't want to overclock my cpu just to lower my temps back to normal.

13. sybnios

sybnios Guest

GPU:
    Wow there is obviously something wrong with my setup! Why the voltage on load goes so high on my cpu do you have any idea?

14. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    It might have been max VID you were looking at instead of actual vcore. I have a very similar setup and my idle temps range from 30-40C. Given your idle temps are high too, it's likely the Hyper 212 wasn't installed quite right and either has too much or too little thermal paste.

15. sybnios

sybnios Guest

GPU:
    The voltage readings were from the 5 min stress test I did with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.
    I don't know what VID is but the field I was reading was CPU Core Voltage.

About the Hyper 212 how can it be installed wrong? There is only one way to mount it right? I watched some videos on youtube. Put the mounting bracket on the back of the mobo installed 3 or 4 times I think the thermal paste, everytime I remove the cooler the thermal paste looks like it was spread nicely on the cpu. As for the amount of paste applied it was the size of a bb gun bullet. I saw many pics and vids on the web and it seemed the same size.
    Then I tried not to screw down very tight the cooler. When every screw gave me resistance I stopped. The first time I mounted the cooler I screwed it down a bit tighter but anyhow I didn't see any improvement.

16. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Yeah, for some reason, it seems like there isn't enough contact for good thermal transfer.

Is this the first time the Evo 212 has been in use? If it is new...

Do you still have the stock, Intel cooler? If so, it may be worth putting it back on just to see how it reacts. With the stock cooler, you should be seeing temperature rises somewhere in the ballpark of the temps I posted above (and lower than the ones you've been seeing). If that works, you may want to see if there's some manufacturing defect with the Evo 212. It could be machined wrong which would be nearly indiscernible to the naked eye.

^This^ is a pain in the butt, but it may be worth trying since it sounds as if you've exhausted other options.

As far as the voltage, if you set your bios back to all defaults, it should set your CPU voltage to stock.

17. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Try turning off Asus's Multicore enhancement setting. That may be why the adaptive voltage is kicking up so high.

18. domoreyoga

domoreyoga Guest

GPU:
    Mobility Radeon X2300
    Might be worth remounting your cooler with new paste or trying the stock one as Oblivious was saying. Helps to at the very least rule out any problems with your heatsink.

19. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I am running i7 4790K at 4.6ghz @ 1.3 this is my summer overclock

I have a custom fan profile setup on my H100i they are

900rpm at 40c
    1000rpm at 50c
    1150rpm at 60c
    1250 rpm at 70c

I have found under 1250 rpm and I am happy with the noise of the stock fans I plan on upgrading them in the future.

temp in my house is 22.5c

temp idle 32c
    temp gaming 67c (this is highest I have seen)
    benching 75c

I have been reading this thread and I am interested in temps as I am not 100% sure what ideal temps are for intel CPU I came from FX8350 long time AMD user

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  20. basicscoding

basicscoding Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970 - 4GB
    I've got an Intel Core i7 5820k Extreme, so that gets quite hot as well; so I decided to modify my rig to have liquid cooling. If you do not already have this; I suggest that you implement it to your rig to prevent high temperatures such as this.