980 Ti Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by AvengerUK, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    Guys could you check in games like Witcher 3, Crysis 3 and GTA5 what kind of Power/TDP usage you are at.

Currently im only getting like ~75/85% power/TDP when playing games and not getting the performance i should. GPU usage in most games hovers around ~95/99%.

Thnx!

Edit:

Firestrik score: 14678

Graphics:18036
    Physics:11010
    Combined:7740

G test 1: 86.31
    G test 2: 71.85
    Physics : 34.95

i7 980X @ 4.2Ghz
    980Ti @ stock
    Gpu power usage: 85%

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  2. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    The reference cooler doesn't have any 'exits' apart from the I/O panel (well, a little goes out the rear).
    I disagree with this. At stock, I've seen reference coolers do quite well. Two particular examples I remember are 580s and 660Tis
    This is what I was assuming when I wrote my reply - I should have mentioned that.

I suspect that reapplying the TIM may have had a significant effect here - not doubting the AC Xtreme III cooler, just that there are other factors at play.
    IF you take care of your airflow (as you say), otherwise this happens.
    Oh, really? None of the board partners? I must be imagining things, right? Certainly not high end cards anyway?

Just having a friendly discussion by the way - I'm aware that the internet makes us all look like a bunch of snarling, angry nerds :) .

Agreed - I'd expect something more like ~540W.

3. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I call bs on that linis guy he set that up to have those numbers ok?he even said worse case scenario he is in single card?so ok according to him there is no reason to have a custom fan at all because your case heats up? oh yeah I would listen to him

and oh that classy lol try to find one like that in the passed 3 years even they know it blows he he

what ever no big deal think what you want
    but till YOU try it you will never change your stance
    just 1 Last thing heat from ref coolers vrm's can get 90+ fast not so much custom coolers and most of that heat is not making it out the back of the card at all but right to the top of your case

just because they blow air out means little and you have to be deaf if you thing those fans are not loud.....680 fans were only 80% max but bios tools fixed that and make them run 100%

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  4. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Are you sure its set to max performance in nvidia control panel? That fire strike score is similar to what I got with non max performance setting, I changed it an OC the card and got ~16400, cpu@4.35ghz, card on +150 core, +400mem, max power and fan

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    You referring to the FuryX vs 980ti in the small form factor case. Funny watch.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I would not worry much running 1 980ti on your 980 cpu. If you can clock it 100Mhz higher that would help. The bottleneck won't be that bad you have a 6 core 12 thread cpu

7. looniam

looniam Guest

GPU:
    RTX3060 bcuz
  8. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    Yeah dude, its on max performance in the NVCP. I always check that. I make a profile for every game i play. And i do a clean install with every new driver update.

Mmzz still dont know dude. Tho i can sell my Mobo+cpu for a nice amount and then only spend €179,- for a i7 3930K with a MSI X79A-GD658D motherboard. Its a sensible choice right?

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    For comparison sake, I get 13400 physics score at 4.7Ghz with 8 threads..
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/4127909
    or ~13100 @ 4.6ghz.

btw 5820K would be better if you can get that later on..

10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I get cranky sometimes over that myth

did you try this unlocked bios for the classy?

http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3801

11. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    OC the gpu and unlock its true potential :), honestly i dont think you will see much in FPS performance increase going with a 3930K( possibly 5% performance increase in real world performance but you would negate it completely by overclocking your gpu, unless youre running a 120Hz/144Hz monitor then definately upgrade the cpu, im on 3440x1440@60Hz ) but if you can upgrade that cheaply i would definately go for it. Im holding out for some serious per core performance improvements in Skylake, but i dont think i could go back to 4 core, the extra cores are handy :)

i get 14560 physics score @4.35Ghz( ok its 6 cores of course, but just saying in the context of the 980X potentially underperforming( which i dont think it is ) - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5331987

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ok slightly offtopic, but can you run Cinebench15 Single threaded, just to see how fast is that per core performance. :nerd:
    [​IMG]

Although by openGL part it will lag behind, so far only haswell scores high here - newer cpu instructions.
    [​IMG]

Speaking of Skylake, wait for Skylake-E then, should be real 8core as entry then, I hope, but so far it looks like sometime in 2017.

13. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    lol, well obviously per core performance will suffer as its ancient tech by now :p

I get 974cb in Cinebench R15 for CPU, OpenGL is crap lol @ 85.85fps, BUT a proper comparison would be the different gens at the same clock speed( just in terms of what the per core performance increase is per gen )

Yeah i think ill probably wait for a 6-8 core Skylake, but it depends how DX12 pans out tbh.

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I wouldn't worry too much with a oc 6 core 980x with a single video card too much. Unless you want to upgrade than that's a different story.

15. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Received my RMA today and no crazy fan whine on this one. Also, despite a lower ASIC (67.2) I'm getting higher clocks using the same settings I used in Afterburner on the last card. I'm boosting to 1466 instead of 1438 on these settings and I suspect I can go higher but haven't had time to do much testing. This appears to be because of higher voltages and less voltage throttling. So all is good and I lucked out on the replacement.

So riddle me this. If lower ASIC means higher default voltage (according to GPU-Z) then why would a higher ASIC have better overclockability? Is this something unique to Maxwell with its voltage and clock throttling?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015

16. looniam

looniam Guest

GPU:
    RTX3060 bcuz
    yes but the only difference than the LN2 bios is a higher fan speed @100% - 3.4K as opposed to 3K. and the only difference compared to stock from those two is the PT of 141% instead of 115%; same exact boost and voltage tables.

the classy tool does goose the voltage to 1.683 (via DMM)
    [​IMG]
    but that kind of voltage is worthless unless freezing like a popcicle. i hope it gets updated to support vram voltage and PWM freq. adjustment.

TEMPS matter! but a good bios does help out . . . . some.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  17. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Well my temps are basically the same as they were before.

18. looniam

looniam Guest

GPU:
    RTX3060 bcuz
    ^ i think i am seeing a difference in stability just between 40c and 48c. which to me is basically the same . .just saying.

it's difficult to really find out on air.

19. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    ASIC doesn't guarantee overclocking ability. You were right about default voltage but once you start raising clockspeed and voltages, the ASIC doesn't guarantee anything.

20. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    [​IMG]

Have my 2nd card now.
    Annoyed that my motherboard runs the PCI-E 2 slots in 8x, just waiting for Skylake-E before I upgrade.