Project C.A.R.S - Community Assisted Racing Simulator

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Leviathan-, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I've had great fun with the career.
    I've driven mostly GT & LMP cars and the AI was doing great, even in the rain.
    They're not perfectly consistent, so on some tracks you'd want to turn the difficulty down here and there, but apart from that they can be really challenging.

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'm sorry, but this has to stop. The AI is retarded https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLHv_IsKoYU

I've posted more videos with proof of the AI being broken in this very thread. Let's not lie to each other. Even when they behave seemingly sensibly, they still ram you, they still brake test you, they still have broken grip in wet conditions (not changing from inters to wets), the pit stops are still broken (you get refueled even if you specifically ask for no fuel at pit stop) etc.

3. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
  4. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    It's still the best AI I've ever driven against and, to me, their behavior is much more human-like than anything I've seen before. Nothing else even came close.

I wouldn't go as far as saying there weren't any issues, and as I said they're still inconsistent (as in "much faster on one track than on another"), presumably even different depending on the cars they're driving.
    Of course the game itself still has its issues on its own.

Driving against the AI still worked great for me, in any race I've driven so far, so why would I put anyone's "proof" above my personal experience?

5. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    Damnit got an dns timed out error when trying to post.

I found an used Logitech Driving Force GT for only 40 euro, it still costs 130 euro brand new here in Holland.
    I'm thinking of getting that one.

I had it before for my PS3 when i played alot of Gran Turismo.
    But i didn't liked the force feedback on it, it was too aggressive if that makes sense?

Is that something you can adjust?

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    It's a great wheel and at 40 EUR it's a steal. You can adjust the FFB power in the Logitech distaste, also in games.

7. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Should be a great wheel, a friend of mine just bought one too. At some point you could upgrade the pedals but that's about it. Exceptional value!

8. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Ok well I have around 60 hours on this game now and I'm enjoying playing it almost as much as GTR2 and GTL.

However it's not without it's bugs. The most annoying for me being joining a server and not being able to hit 'drive' until I've been out and back in a few times or given up altogether!

The AI are much more competitive since patch 2.0 and are good fun to race against. Likewise I've had some great races online. Of course there are a lot of crashes but I don't take it too seriously. Entirely depends who's on track. The hotlapping I enjoyed so much in the other games I mentioned above has continued and I have some top times on the leaderboard.

Looking forward to more cars & tracks.

9. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Finally booted up the game after patch 2.0. I must say that, at least for my combo PS4+T300, the FFB is MUCH better. Also since they fixed the ghosting issues and improved the performance it looks and flows better. Haven’t checked the AI though. I know they can bug out, but sure hope they are less aggressive and follow the players’ rules now.

10. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Have you got the mental AI plugin or something?

That couldn't be further from the truth, atleast in my experience anyway. I'm not saying the AI is perfect, but since it went gold it has been pretty darn good, and better than other sims I would say, and the post releases patches have helped too.

My most recent races have been great, I completed my 2nd year of career, culminating in winning the euro GT4 championship at Zolder. I was 2nd going into the final round, but 3rd place and a win got me the championship. I had two excellent races, dicing with the AI, swapping the lead a few times, and there was no ugly maneuvers either, I was worried there might be because my tyres were off towards the end of Race 2, and the first corner is a bitch to get right with worn tyres, I was expecting the AI to duck up the inside and take me out in the process, now he looked several times, and got close, but never did he touch me, it was probably one of the best races I've ever had, and for me, particularly rewarding as have never done well at Zolder, in any sim, its just not a track I have gelled with.

And you say the career is just a few simple races, I partly agree, only 4 rounds of the UK GT4 was a bit short, but then I qualified for the Euro GT4 championship as well, and then I had invites to karting invitationals, some Megane trophy, Historics cup, Caterham cup and one other cup, in between doing my GT4 Euro races, all in all a lot of varied racing in the calendar.
    I'm now in my 3rd year doing GT3, so I will be interested to see how the championship durations compare, and what cups are offered to me.

Sure it could be better, but it still offers a more complete career than anything else out there. But I am looking forward to a custom season mode being added too.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'm not mental, I've posted countless videos of AI going awol in this very thread. Even in the post you replied to. I've backed up my claim with concrete proof. You're backing yours up by calling me mental. You'll have to try harder next time.

12. Famous627

Famous627 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 760
    I think he was referring to your AI settings being mental because of the videos you have posted. I've never seen them as bad as in those videos but I've been knocked around quite a bit by the AI which is why I don't play pCars so much these days. If you can make it out of the first lap alive you only have to put up with them trying to pass you in the grass or ramming you if you need to brake early. Still not a fan but better than they were at launch.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    TBH, I've never seen the AI to be as bad as in those videos myself, while racing, but I've heard from people who have had these issues. I haven't played the game enough to come across those issues, it's a car/track combo most of the time. To me it's the tyre/grip level issue, AI drive pretty bad, you put a legit move on and you get rammed off, or you can brake as late as you possibly can and you get rammed from behind, purely because the AI simply have more than realistic grip into some braking zones. It's easy to spot, the brake testing happens in every race, the ramming happens in every race too. The extremes, well, they happen in rare occasions.

Still, it doesn't take away from the fact that the issue is there.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  14. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    AS Famous627 said, I was referring to your AI being different from mine, not you (unless you refer to yourself as AI). and joked it was a rogue "mental AI plugin".
    I simply don't experience the issues in those videos anymore, and as explained in my last post, the AI were anything but troublesome, in fact I've raced against online players with less sense, and for me, the AI is the cream pf the crop compared to the competition.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    My AI is the same as yours, we're on the same build of the game. The AI has been poor for years and I called it over 2 years ago. If anything, it's gotten worse since as time went by. I clearly stated why the AI is bad and backed it up with videos. I don't know what else I have to do to shut up WMD advertising.

16. Famous627

Famous627 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 760
    Not sure if it is worth burdening yourself with that.

It is ok to like pCars for what it is leaving WMD office politics aside. I genuinely enjoyed it during the years of development and it is a decent racing sim. There are other options that I'm currently enjoying more though but there doesn't appear to be a silver bullet sim that is everything to everybody. However, it is nice to have these options that were not available a couple years ago...pCars included.

17. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    So these videos weren't your own? Well... that's even less of a proof then.

As someone already said, and as I experienced myself, the AI has been working great ever since release.
    Of course you'll find a combo of track, car & weather that doesn't work out well. You can find that in any game that has AI, unless it offers so little options that everything has been polished-out perfectly. But usually, that's not the case and hasn't been the case in the last 5-10 years.

One thing you'll certainly notice, especially when doing races, is that your tires are cold and lack grip at the beginning, whilst the AI (with the simple tire model) may have "better" tires. This will go away though after the first lap at the latest.

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Agreed.

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Those videos are 100% proof, they're real videos of people's footage. They're no fakes Let's not question that.

The inconsistent levels of AI grip is exactly what breaks the AI for me. It's all good to talk about how FFB works off physics and how high the physics tick rate is. The fact is all of that means nothing when the AI run a scripted, unrealistic tyre model, ignoring the track and tyre grip levels.

Btw, I never said the "broken AI" videos were mine.

20. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    They're from someone, with some build or version of
    The game, with some picked options that may result in something.
    Really, unless its something that happens most of the time, for most of the tracks and vehicles, after release, fine.
    But that's not the case, not even closely.

The tire model the AI uses is still at least the same level as any other s uses for the player car, so I don't see the issue.
    Other games use scripted/canned effects for FFB even, like AC, so I don't see that issue either.
    There's not enough processing power to do all the calculations if everything were calculated with the same hi-def model. And it's certainly no issue of optimization either.
    Racing against the AI is a mere challenge, something you'd do for fun, and it works very well. Of course it's no equal challenge but it's just a game then.
    Multiplayer, hot lapping, everything that has human players in it has the max fidelity physics. And that's the part that counts towards realism.
    Career and AI is for fun, and that's where it shines. As I said earlier, nothing else even comes close. Even with the shortcomings noted.