AMD Posts 2015 Second Quarter Results

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AMD today announced revenue for the second quarter of 2015 of $942 million, operating loss of $137 million, and net loss of $181 million, or $0.23 per share. Non-GAAP operating loss was $87 million an...

AMD Posts 2015 Second Quarter Results

2. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    The first thing AMD needs to do in order to become profitable again is to STOP leaking so much information about upcoming products! 6 months before every product release AMD begins leaking and the hype machine runs with it, instantly killing sales for their products already on store shelves. Then they seal the deal by making performance claims that never come true, resulting in all those customers who delayed purchases to be thoroughly disappointed when true benchmarks are released... who then either purchase from Intel/nVidia or proclaim "I'll wait till it's on sale!". Half of those people don't buy because they get sucked in by AMD leaking the next product and the cycle repeats itself.

3. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    ^^^ This is what I hate the most about AMD. It's always - ALWAYS - the exact same bull**** cycle.

>AMD announces upcoming product
    >hype it up beyond belief promising heaps and bounds
    >product comes out
    >it's **** and worse than what has been out in the market already
    >AMD goes into full damage control mode
    >AMD starts saying it actually never promised anything doing a full 180 and then starts saying something bad about nvidia and/or intel to shift focus
    >always blaming everyone else except themselves
    >market share keeps declining
    >stocks value keeps plummeting
    >...
    >AMD announces upcoming product

4. Genova84

Genova84 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus Xtreme 1080ti
    I had held off buying a GPU in anticipation of the Fury X. However, the lack of HDMI 2.0 support and the idiotic respinse of mdp 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adapters are set to be released this summer rubbed me the wrong way. So I went with 2 980tis instead. Loss of $1300 for AMD and a gain of $1400 for Nvidia. Just silly miatakes. I don't get it. They certainly don't see like they're "[getting] it done."

5. I agree, hype as an marketing can be beneficial, but idk if AMD leaks those things, or opposing side to induce exact effect you described, it would make sense in this type of market share situation for such sneaky move, and it would not be surprise at all due to the ethics of marketing people in general.

All said, there are multiple things that hurting AMD, solution in free market is, work hard, work efficiently, and result must come.

6. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    I agree about the hype train AMD sets off a good 6 months too early and by the time the product comes out it's already run out of steam.

Also I think the whole re badging the entire range is utter BS.

7. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    AMD fun boys are killing also the product with those hypes. Cause more harm then good.

8. Chaython

Chaython Guest

GPU:
    AMD/7970/3GB
    Well in canada they were always. Low or out of stock on r9 290( +) mining killed too many cards, people return because low fps in gameworks games etc. Too many returns, too little margin, low production quantity = there was nothing above a 280x in stores

9. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    OEM's demand this, they didn't really have a choice to be honest. Nvidia does this as well.

10. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    same in EU and middle east but i would even said above 270... any AMD high end product is "on demand" and a lot of shop even "don't work with AMD product"...

11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    i agree look at the 730/740, the 770 etc ...
    not so much drama, but i guess NVidia does a way better communication.

People were thinking that it was a whole new line of GPU, and no one told them "no it's only high end gpu, all other will be rebadging, as always"... and the hype turn in bashing after release. (1st year in commercial school's mistake).

More on topic it's not too bad result for a company that have splat down last year and have started deep internal change... wish then the best.

12. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Starting to look a lot better but i fear if they dont release a decent cpu this time they might be done for.