Commodore Brand Makes a Return on Smartphones

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    If you are my age, you probably have had a Commodore computer. Commodore computers had THE products to buy back in the mid-1980s. I 've had Commodore C16, 64, 128 and well I'll be honesty here, a...

Commodore Brand Makes a Return on Smartphones

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Heh, didn't know Commodore was into smartphones, nice specs too

Missed out on the C64 when I was young, but had plenty of Amigas, had an internet connection to bulletin boards iirc lol

3. panogr

panogr Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6800XT Ref
    i will buy it just to have next Commodore in collection ;)

4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I had an Amstrad CPC 464 with a colour monitor, much better. ;)

The phone is cool though, I'll check it out in more detail once it goes on sale.

5. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    There is a distinct lack of beige plastic :(

6. Dean_Demon

Dean_Demon Member

GPU:
    Titan RTX 24 GB
    I knew this was coming and really pleased with it, i still have a C16, C64, Vic 20 and Amiga and the Pet was the very first computer that i used as they were in school and where i learnt to program. I wrote a game on the C64 many years ago but was mainly a musician on the C64 & Amiga, very good times they were too but great to see the CBM brand back again i must admit even if it has been rebranded more times than it should have been but damn you Escom.

7. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    You have had Amiga 4000T backthen 20 years ago?! You've got to be kidding us Hilbert, that beast was super-expensive backthen... I've had (still have) C-64, A500, A1200... with tons of expansion cards & peripherals for them. Amiga 4000 & 4000T were just my dream, couldn't affort them backthen, in those days 4000T was way too expensive for anyone I knew, like some decent new car :(

Just one fact about Commodore everyone here probably have forgot about and guess you too Hilberr, shame yourself because you didn't made an article about that on G3D front page ;) Guess there are a lots of old farts like me here on G3D, Commodore fans, this year it's 30 years since first Commodore Amiga computer: Amiga 1000. Probably will start a thread about that to shoot some nostalgia pictures there and show to newbies here what they've missed from the era when their parents were *SPAM* :D

About a Commoore phone from article... Looks interesting, maybe gonna buy one for me just because of: nostalgia :)

8. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I want the Amiga phone. Loved my miggy 1000. :D

3D motion holographic projector, DTS-X sound system, 3D 8k video capture, 80 Mpix still frame picture capture, and world class multitasking OS to boot without the running out of memory issues of current Droids.

:D

9. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    Wow this is great. They now make a phone more powerful than the Vic 20 and C64 I had when I was a in grade school.

1 ? "I love commodore"
    2 go to 1
    run

I love commodore
    I love commodore
    I love commodore
    I love commodore

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    C16 and C64c here with everything one could get with it. (including plotter)
    This thing is running big.LITTLE so it can be quite good. Tho if they own IP, the could have made few custom transistor to behave like old C64c at its best configuration instead of running emulator. And push code to that from software designer running on android.

Other than that it looks very luxurious. Too bad I am not into smartphones and I'll get another only in case my current dies.

11. CyberPaddy

CyberPaddy Guest

GPU:
    migty 8800GTX
    hehe i remmber the first time we had the comodore when i was the young man at work at steel factor such the long time ago i wish we can gone back in time to then i think it was better an yes these c16 an the 64 was amazing i got the amiga in later 80 i think but my kid spill the riberna on it in the early 90s and kll it :( (rip)but it is memory

12. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    That does not sound expensive. Screen is a bit large and run's Android, but meh, interested to read some comments from people who buy it. Not that I'm planning to buy one, just curious.

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    C64 probably the finest 8-bit computer ever made and the games proved it.
    It had the best sound chip out of any 8-bit machine by along way.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  14. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Wait! There were other 8-bit contenders. Is it too late to have an Atari vs Commodore thread in an Nvidia vs AMD fashion?

I loved my Atari 800 and Atari 130XE. Loading up games on floppy disks or even cassette tapes. Those were the days!

I loved the strategy game M.U.L.E. most of all. I played a flash version recently and that game still holds up as addictive, 30 years later. It's still better than many, new strategy titles.

Other favorites:

Bruce Lee,
    Defender,
    Pole Position,
    Dig Dug,
    River Raid,
    Castle Wolfenstein (where it all started ;) ),
    Joust,
    Q-Bert

Nice to see the Commodore brand back. :nerd:

15. Juliuszek

Juliuszek Guest

GPU:
    GTX1060/3GB
    +1 for ATARI vs COMMODORE war!!! :)
    Yes, M.U.L.E. was great!!!
    And I also loved: ZYBEX, Spy vs Spy, FRED, ZORRO, Boulder Dash, Lasermania.
    (There is still ATARI 65XE and ATARI 1040ST on my attic :) but I cannot find my ZS Spectrum+ ...)

16. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
  17. TheFailedGod

TheFailedGod New Member

GPU:
    GTX760/4GB
    <3

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Easy to Beat.
    Exile - most complex and largest game on any 8 bit PC, and not even later consoles touched it's feets
    Elite - you know
    The last Ninja series - even if you were not in mood for play, you could watch intro and listen to music
    Defender of the Crown
    Turrican I + II
    Denarius/Katakis
    Dark Side (not very popular but probably 1st vector based game)
    Starquake
    Paradroid
    The Great Giana Sisters
    Bubble Bobble
    Traz
    Blades of Steel
    Hypaball
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show
    Barbarian
    Red Storm
    Steel Thunder
    Wings of Fury
    Dizzy series
    Rampage

I can probably write down another 200 games which were AAA titles in comparison to standards on other computers back then. And most of those have higher value to me than graphically advanced games on PC now.

Btw. list is unsorted with exception of "Exile" which is greatest game of all times for me.

19. Juliuszek

Juliuszek Guest

GPU:
    GTX1060/3GB
  20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i know some that will salvate at this, but i wont tell him cause he might want to talk endless about it lol