Samsung Going for 11K Phone Displays

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    And I wonder ... why ?? Samsung Display has started working on a mobile phone display that is over four times sharper than today's highest-resolution (quad-HD) displays. The new display would have a...

Samsung Going for 11K Phone Displays

2. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Indeed, why?

There's no way anyone will convince me that that kind of pixel density is even remotely discernible to the human eye over something like even 4K on a similarly tiny screen.

How completely pointless to throw a super high resolution screen like that on a phone.

3. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Because buzzwords and need to make something to sell phones. "well this has this many pixels yours doesn't" useless but ultimately it will sell as a word.

4. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    For people who want to charge their phones multiple times a day.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I already thought 4K for a phone display would be useless, now they're going 11K? Maybe Kim poisoned the South Corean water supply with some weird drug, because this is outright stupid to me.

6. meth curd

meth curd Active Member

GPU:
    2080TI FE
    the issue isn't "why" because progress is good regardless of direction, it's how are we going to drive these displays. phones are one thing but they're bringing vr into the equation when we can barely power 4k virtual worlds with a mammoth pc running in the background. we're probably a decade away from accessible 11k gaming.

e: i like to believe that regardless of practicality, to make these displays viable, they'd have to really nail down power consumption and materials. maybe these advances also translate to better and cheaper mainstream displays as they perfect the manufacturing process.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  7. DeAnt28790

DeAnt28790 Member

GPU:
    Did anyone else actually read the article?
    Yes, Samsung is normally pushing stupid resolutions for their phones that are far above what the eye can notice.
    But if you need that resolution to create a 3D effect without glasses, that would be cool!
    Also, if anyone has used a Rift they will tell you that its lame that you can see pixels, which is not ideal. A higher resolution would help.

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Nintendo does it with less resolution already, for years. So I don't think it really is necessary... and on the other hand, what would you like to have in 3D on that little screen? (Mind you, I'm not too much of a mobile gamer, and can't imagine much sense in mobile 3D gaming.)

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    And they do it on display which covers like 8 degrees of your vision at best. Now stretch that to at least 110 degrees to actually look remotely close to normal vision.

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I'll bet you a lot of people will buy into it and say 'wow, must have'. The moar the better principle applies to a big segment of the clueless market.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I for one sit on 960x540 screen with my Evo3D. intend to stay on it till it breaks or become incompatible with network.

While some may believe that such ppi is indiscernible to human eye, I bet you that if you make black and white lines and leave one pixel in wrong state, you'll notice.
    My look on it is quite different, you can see difference, but you do not need that kind of fidelity on cellphone.

But I hope many will jump those resolutions. As it will allow for cheaper VR screens in time and Samsung knows that.
    Fury X does perfectly fine even at 4k, so I aim for VR with 2x 2560x1440 screens as that has 12.5% lower amount of pixels than 4k.
    We will not get it this year, but I am positive that we may see it in use next xmas.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    And what sort of GPU will it need to be able to play any games at all in 11k?

Quad Titan X SLI? lol

13. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    The way i see it, if your phone has a better resolution than your pc monitor or tv, then you've more money than sense.

Why are the smallest devices so concerned about screen res. This makes no sense. Unless this is the result of the downward trickle of nasa/mil tech to civilian plaything, whats the rush/need.

14. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    You keep your phone quite close to your eyes, thus higher resolutions are actually discernible.
    It's the desktops which are lagging behind, not the phones stretching their limits.

Not that I commend 11k lol that's just plain ridiculous.
    What I mean is that if we have 1440p phones, 4k should be the standard on monitors. Except we're not there yet.

15. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    The big players should invest their millions on battery research, not screens.

16. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    That wouldn't be enough lol :D

17. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I can imagine noticing the difference between 720p, 1080p and probably 1440p and 4K. But to see the difference between 4K and 11K phone displays, I don't think so.

+1. Gotta love phone reviews of 1440p smart phones complaining about 'just' average battery life... the biggest leech on the battery is the display, and the more pixels there are, the more it pulls from your phone's battery. It's not a mistery, yet everybody wants the bigger displays... with a 5000mAh battery and a 11K display, your battery would probably last you half a day at the best. And two years later you can buy yourself a new phone because your battery's dead... not so bright future of 11K phone displays, but that's just my take on cell phone batteries.

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    That wouldn't be enough. So the answer is some future GPU from aliens. Available ones won't work, not if you want good frame rates and settings above potato anyway.

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol, potato settings aren't great

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    DX12 Witch demo was running 4x Titan X just for 1080p 60+ fps.
    At release such graphics may be possible on one Titan X at that resolution.

So would I pick beautiful next gen. graphics at 1080p or last gen. graphics on 4k? Is that even question?

To the battery capacities... They are advancing, not fast but advancing. With display technologies, I would rather get higher power efficiency.
    So here I would ask: "how power efficient GPU has to be to refresh such 11k screen on cellphone and still deliver same battery life as we have today?"