MSI releases X99A GODLIKE Gaming Motherboard

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 8, 2015.

1. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Is me or the first PCI-E is too close to the plastic cover ?. That can be a problem with video cards that have backplates.
    BTW: That motherboard is "ricer" as f*ck

2. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    I would buy this just for the LED's, I love hardware that lights up :) but then I do spend more time on the computer at night than I do in the day, need to upgrade my graphics cards first before I consider anything like this tho

3. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    haahahahahahahhhahahaha I would buy that for sure

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Be the debil maan, bombaclad edition! :D

This. The way it looks right now, red plastics with different lighting, doesn't add up imo, especially if you're looking for a stylish build.
    Somehow I'm not impressed.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Reminds me of older Sci-Fi movies where advanced technology/ cyborgs/ cyberspace played all colors they could imagine at time.
    Love Sci-Fi, but not for rainbow in the face.

6. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    And will claim to make your gaming lag from 300ms ping to 50ms ping lol

7. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Hello Hilbert! Any idea what the price range might be on that Mobo?

8. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    While this seems to support the wide slot 1, 3, 7 tri-SLI setup with breathing space between the cards, I dislike the bling a lot. Bling in my mind = cheap and bad.

9. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I find it pretty tacky myself to be honest, I'd actually be a little embarrassed having something like that in plain view.

10. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Man if it played the "Godlike!" Sound file from UT2004 every time I hit the power button I'd be all over this lol

11. JulianBr

JulianBr Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Going to build my first x99 build this month and this board looks interesting! I don't like the name or the lights but the PCI lanes spacing looks nice. Was thinking about MSI x99a ACK but I will wait for the review og this board.

12. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Can we has a Atheist version please, something like "The Big Bang Edition".

Then the lights would make more sense, like the Universe exploding into existence. ^^

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    looks nice i not sure why they keep using these "killer nic" though

14. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    If MSI also had a ''godlike'' RMA service i would give it a chance.

15. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Marketing more than anything, I like MSI motherboards but the Killer NIC's put me off. I'd rather have a good Intel NIC, especially when buying a higher end board.

16. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I've been switching between the killer nic and the intel nic on my board for a few days now. After a bunch of gaming sessions, pings test and lan speed tests, I noticed no performance difference between the 2. I was expecting some sort of cpu usage increase using the killer nic, but even that was negligible. Maybe Qualcom managed to eliminate the problems it was having with their add in card by intergrating a nic within the motherboard. idk, but imo I see nothing wrong with it.

17. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The problem I have with them is the awful software and the fact what they offer is purely marketing nonsense. They're no better than any other NIC, and in some cases worse depending on who you speak to. Countless people have had issues with them regardless, Intel NIC's just work. I'm not talking about add-in cards either, MSI have been using them for their motherboards for a couple of years now.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  18. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Atheros aka Killer recently released a new website for the Killer Nic where you can download the software suite or just the driver for a change. The Killer Nic works very well.

The killer nic has an onboard "cpu" or is somehow running a very small linux kernal for management. I really do not understand that part of it. It has been a long time since I saw this part listed in any specs, but it is suposed to take care of a lot of functions CPUs have to do with nics. Disclousure I use the Killer Nic e2200, also have a intel gigbyte add in card.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_NIC

19. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Without the software suite the 'Atheros' NIC is just that, the Killer aspect is almost entirely marketing. For the vast majority of people anything that can be done in the 'Killer' software is worthless or already available via another device.

Thus my point: It's marketing nonsense.

I'm not sure why you're linking an outdated Wiki article either. I mean seriously:

Sounds legit, especially for a modern system.

20. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    I actually agree as is most things like this..there is no magical pill and it is mostly marketing nonsense. I did not get the MB with the killer nic cause of that, but cause my Sabertooth needed RMA'ing and this particular MB was on sale at newegg at the time.

As I said I am not exactly sure how the linux kernel runs and what it actually does and what is needed...but reality all it is, is a hardware based network management as it is an extra chip.