The Witcher 3 Best Performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Raziael, May 19, 2015.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I don't think I have RST enabled. Do you mean AHCI driver? I'm using default which is from Microsoft.

2. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I don't know you guys but i'm unable to "feel" a single 40 ms peak in frametime EACH 5 SECONDS in a flat 16,66 ms line in gameplay.

We are not talking about a crazy 20 to 150 ms very fast variance here where almost each frame has a very different frametime than the previous!

¿?¿?¿?¿

3. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Here are my results after running around in and outside of Novigrad. As you can see, i don't have a stable 60 FPS. It dips every couple of seconds and so does the frame time. The game feels pretty smooth to me, but of course i notice those little drops and of course the game could be smoother with perfect frame times.

[​IMG]

The highest frame time ingame was 75 ms. When there is no spike, the frame time is 16.66 ms. Those huge spikes at the beginning and the end are the result of alt-tabbing. Also note that Afterburner only refreshes every 100 ms.

Before you ask. My results were better yesterday, but i wasn't running around in novigrad then.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  4. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    @RexOmnipotentus

Can you lower your frametime scale max to 200 ms?

Right now it's HUGE and all +200ms peaks are alt tabbing so it doesn't matter (it's showed as max value in numbers) it could help to see a better scaled graph.

Are you overlaying the RTSS over the gameplay?

Sometimes the OSD "interferes" with other games performance if it's turned on.

Very fast polling (very low polling rate) is also know to possibly interferes with game performance.

Can you please retry with RTSS OSD off and with a 1000 ms polling in monitoring?

Thanks.

:)

5. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    If i do this, the results look horrible, lol. The game isn't running horrible at all.

[​IMG]
    * These results show 4,5 minutes of running around.

How can you get a good picture of the frame times if you only check every 1000ms?

6. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Maybe this last frametimes graph represent better what is your experience while playing

It's not about to see a nice graph but to get an aproximated idea of gameplay from it.

Is the last graph representing more closely what you experience while playing or not?

7. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I think the first graph is representing more closely what i experience while playing. It feels very smooth, but every couple of seconds there is a tiny little (micro) stutter. It doesn't bother me at all.

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    The last frametimes graph look very distorted compared to the previous.

1000 ms polling rate and 100ms scale for frametimes scale is too extreme.

Frametimes graphs fail if they can't provide a correct "impression" of gameplay feeling.

Maybe 100ms polling rate as you had previously and setting the frametimes scale to 200 could provide us a more "real picture".

What really matters is how gameplay is, if you say the each 2 seconds micro-stutters doesn't bother you then it's ok for you.

Did you check if there a is relation between GPU/CPU load and frametimes peaks?

Is there any concurrent low GPU usage % and or maxed CPU usage % in Afterburner monitoring graphs while peaks appear or shortly before?

9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I was seeing massive delays with "ndis.sys" so reinstalled my Intel network drivers, the one's that were on my motherboards support page (previously running the latest ones) the latency has gone now and everything seems fine were LatencyMon is concerned.
    I switched back Microsoft AHCI drivers rather than Intel's to see if anything performs better. Also installed Intel(R) Management Engine Components

10. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    I'm old news of course, being ICH9R, but running RST over the MS AHCI driver gives a significant boost in both latency and overall throughput, even with an 840 Pro on SATA2.

11. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Years ago i had a network problem related to TCP/IP who made CPU peaks every few seconds.

There also the possibility of some very heavy resource consuming processes in the background: i had (years ago) a security suite checking HDD's and internet traffic and affecting game performance.

The problem was the background process get higher execution priority (in CPU) compared to the running game process so it must wait for the former to be completed.

I think "gaming mode" in some security suites are not always a gimmick feature...

12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    [​IMG]
    Something plugged in with USB is causing serious execution time delay here. It could be my keyboard. Will check now.
    It's climbing none stop. almost at 1.5 seconds now.

13. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    ANY process that get higher execution priority over game process is a possible cause for micro-stutter (or macro) IF game process must wait for too much CPU core cycles, USB drivers and security suites are among the usual supects.

You are lucky is not an USB 3.0 problem....

:)

14. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I've unplugged everything and it still increases :D I don't feel lucky.

15. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    W8.1 or W10 or both?

16. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    8.1 tested.

17. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    W10 it's suppossed to handle USB better at least USB 3.0.

As you detached all connected USB devices.

Did you try disabling USB devices in device manager to be 100% sure it's completely related to USB drivers?

Of course do it only if you can remote control your PC with VNC solutions or with mobo integrated bluetooth and bluetooth keyboard or a PS2 keyboard.

:D

18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    For USB2 and 3 controllers and AHCI controller. What do you suggest. Intel or Microsoft?

19. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Is your mouse and keyboard using 3rd party software to control macros and light on them?

I have on of those mouse and keyboard, they have a little soft working on the background to add custom light effects and use macros on them.

Maybe this could be a cause of aproblem showed as USB driver related problem.

20. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I have a G15 keyboard with the logintech software running to allow Afterburner to display things (FPS etc). Even with that disabled the latency increases.