AMD Catalyst 15.7 WHQL Driver - Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by LtMatt81, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    yes they do mate, if they didnt i would not of been able to try the dx12 api test on windows 10

the 280's support feature level 12_0

2. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Bolded text is the key.

3. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    So here is the 3DMark API test with my 7970s in CF.

Yay, DX12 test finally runs with CF enabled.

CF Disabled
    [​IMG]

CF Enabled
    [​IMG]

Strange thing is, is that it looks like DX12 API is not getting any performance increase from CF. Guess they have some more work to do.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  4. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Thx ! That clears it up :)

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    In what world?

:)

1- Do you know the differences between an image created by a PC video game and an image played from an already existing video stream from a DVD/BluRay/CableTV/DIrecTV (satellite) or a file in a hard disk/USB/internet?

2- Do you know how an video upscaler or a video downscaler work and why these techniques are NEVER used together to process a video stream (you use one or another) ?

3- Do you know how downsampling computer technique works and which are his goals in PC video games?

4- Do you know what anti-aliasing (AA) means and how this technique could objectively improve the image quality of a video game?

Find the answers for these questions and you'll understand how wrong you are.

6. sekta

sekta Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Does anyone know why they have completely dropped AMD APP/VCE support in all of their latest drivers?

What are you babbling about? How else does a video get upscaled/downscaled to the resolution of the monitor? VSR is a simple bilinear scaler. Exactly the same as what most video renderers do.

7. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    oh AMD,

thanks for the driver but why state that the 280's are now supported for vsr but neglect to say that it works on HDMI only!?

with the reg keys i could easily add the vsr enabled resolutions to my games on cat 15.3 to 15.6 now you broke it for me on vga :(

i do see the framerate options but to only go as low as 55fps makes it useless for A LOT of people

8. sekta

sekta Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Th framerate control doesn't seem to work for me. I ticked the box, set to 95, clicked apply, opened Osu! (DirectX 9) and it was running at 2000fps.

edit: Nevermind, apparently FRTC only works on DirectX 10 +.

9. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    dude don't be another 1 of those "i have to be right" noobs

don't act like an ass and jump on people who see things different than you, there are some other guys on here who do the same that i have noticed that have the "my way or the high way" mentality

just dont be a douche :)

10. N0bodyOfTheGoat

N0bodyOfTheGoat Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8GB
    Another user here with no VSR option through normal installation on Windows 10 preview 10162.

I noticed similar reports from 78xx users posted overnight and my R7 265 is basically a rebadged 7850 IIRC (which is why it can Crossfire with my better half's MSI 7850).

Maybe the VSR registry tool works? It worked in other recent official AMD driver releases, including 15.6 (just didn't give me the performance I knew was possible in pCARS with other drivers, so it was uninstalled).

DVI output on card> VGA converter> VGA input on monitor on my PLE2403WS.

Will try DVI to HDMI input on LG tv later.

Edit: VSR tool not working after running CCC just before running the two batch files.

Scaling options are messed up, I had to select 1280x800 to finally unlock other scaling options from "fit to full screen" to "use correct ratio." After selecting the ratio option, the options are greyed out and despite showing the slector icon by "fit to full screen," it seems to be using "correct ratio."

11. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Lol you must be DP'ing your babes with them hands. Also your hands must make your thing look smaller :banana:

12. rafaelluik

rafaelluik Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280
    It's only for DX 10 or higher.

13. MatrixNetrunner

MatrixNetrunner Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor PCS+ R9 270X
    GCN 1.0 does not support DX12 feature level 12.0, they support DX12 feature level 11.1. MS changed one requirement,a and it is something minor, but that's the way it is.

DX 12 HW support article 1:http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/207598-demystifying-directx-12-support-what-amd-intel-and-nvidia-do-and-dont-deliver

Article 2: http://www.bitsandchips.it/52-english-news/5661-clarifications-about-tier-and-feature-levels-of-the-directx-12

14. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    Nothing really exciting here, coming off of 15.200.0.0 by asder, these give about the same bench scores, slightly better even.

And here also, VSR option not showing. But i don't care, drivers are solid and fast otherwise. (win8.1-x64 DVI-CABLE)

15. MatrixNetrunner

MatrixNetrunner Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor PCS+ R9 270X
    I completely forgot about 290s initial support for VSR. You are correct in that.

In any case, they should have enabled it in one of betas, just so people could try it out and let them know there are some issues to fix when selecting VSR resolutions.

16. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    This is a reply to a user saying VSR improves the image in his TV from cable TV streaming using an HTPC.

This is a complete nonsense.

I spent almost an hour writing a complete explanation for the four question i posted and when i was finishing i suffered a power cut.

And that's not a joke.

If you know the reply to the 4 question you know that VSR downsampling can't be applied to an already existing video streaming and improves his quality but only to a PC video game.

When we reproduce a video streaming or play a video file we are not creating it, we are reproducing a previously created content at a fixed resolution adapting it (if necesary) to the monitor/TV resolution where we watch it, upscaling or downscaling it.NEVER BOTH AT THE SAME TIME.

This never improves the quality of the image.

VSR is a technique used to improve the image quality of a PC video game generating (creating) an image data (pixels) at an arbitrary higher resolution and downscaling it to the monitor/TV resolution.

Both images should have the same aspect ratio for better results.

This technique IMPROVES the image quality compared to simply generating a matching resolution for the monitor/TV we use.

This occurs because we had a final image with softened jaggies compared to an image straighly generated at the monitor/TV res.

The higher image res has REAL higher resolution data not interpolated or extrapolated as in the case of a video streaming.

I.E. If we have a 1080p monitor using VSR we generate a REAL 4K image in the GPU and then by interpolation of this REAL 4K image data we generate a 1080p image and send it to the monitor.

The resulting image has more quality than simply generating a 1080p image and sending it to the monitor because the image we sent has less jaggies because we applied an anti-aliasing technique, a "brute force" AA.

It's not so good looking as watching the internal 4K image in a real 4K monitor but it's still better than a straight generated 1080p image.

This can't be done with video streaming images: there is no improvement of quality.

This is quite obvious when we see SD content on a HD TV (if bigger worst) or when we see 4K content in a HD TV. the 4K content doesn't look better in the SD TV by downscaling.

It was not my intention at all, i simply wanted to avoid a very long and bad redacted post by me.

Simply answering the 4 questions can solve the discussion.

:)

17. mustrum

mustrum Guest

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 2080 TI
    Really hoped for an Elite Dangerous crossfire profile but considering all the goodies in this release AMD is to be commended for this one for sure.

18. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    Good work AMD! Driver release seems to be back on schedule again. :D

19. sekta

sekta Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    He never said it improved the actual quality. He said it appeared sharper and clearer. I agree that the video is already encoded at the specified broadcast standards and is not like a game that gets rendered out on the spot at the target resolution. However that does not mean that downsampling does not do anything to the video. The video is being initially upscaled to 2560x1440 using whatever scaler it's using and then downscaled to 1920x1080 using the gpu's bilinear scaler rather than just being upscaled to 1920x1080. That means the final image will differ as both scalers are not nearest neighbor. All scalers are different. The scaler used by the monitor is probably quite sharp so in the end he perceives it as a sharper and clearer image. If you want you can just check out MadVR and use NNEDI32 to double or quadruple the video and then downscale using the scaler of your choice, such as Bilinear, and see that the perceived image quality differs and is potentially more sharper and clearer.

20. FearME

FearME Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    can't perform unofficial overclocking using msi after burner on this driver as well (same with all the previews windows 10 driver as well ) can perform it normally though on 15.6