Graphics are Progressing But Games Are Not

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Yecnot, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    A !

I know alot of people rate skyrim as the best game ever, but i dont. I like walking down an exceptionally pretty predetermined path, as you do with many shooters :)

2. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I´m sorry but Witcher 3 doesn´t bring anything new to the table in terms of gameplay! Even compared to Witcher 2, the only thing different is the open world and some (small) improvements in combat. Everything else are technical improvements like graphics.
    And before you talk about the amazing story and great characters, remember that those points are very debatle.
    I have the since it was released and i´m struggling to play it because of how boring it is for me. The story is more of the same and the gameplay is good at the best. But i´m still one third into the game so maybe it picks up towards the end or so i hope...

The only games that i really liked in these last years was the souls series but even those are becoming stale...

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I don`t know whether analogy is fair but look at the games from real life (offline ones) - we play the same games from generation to generation - like hide and seek, like card games, like sport games.
    Game - is not about real life, it is about fantasy, competition, excitement.
    Another thought - may be it is very difficult at this age of game industry to create absolutely new style/elements in game...

4. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    True, and there's only so much you add to a multiplayer platform in terms of game play as quite often there isn't a story and it's typically PvsP with different modes. Granted I lost interest in multiplayer years ago when cheating became a larger problem.

5. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    I agree that the gameplay doesn't get better. Also,these big companies just milk half As*ed games. COD,Battlefield,Far Cry ect.. Why not make good games,such as remaking some classics. I don't mean reskin in HD,I mean make new games. Battlezone,Mechwarrior,X-Wing,Tie Fighter.. Stuff with a good single player campaign,not tacked on 5 hour garbage. These companies might find that this stuff will sell well if done right. Where's the new Command & Conquer? There are some good games out now,but there are a lot of games that are just using the name recognition and being pushed out as a money grab.

6. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Nice to see I'm not the only one that thinks Witcher 3 is the same sh*t as Witcher 2. I agree, hard to keep going through the game. Boring.

Ironically though, I've been able to run through Batman Arkham Knight on the PS4 quite well so far and that's honestly the same old as well.

7. Brisse

Brisse Active Member

GPU:
    na
  8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I just want CGI gfx already, is that too much to ask?? Been waiting for this what 10 years now..

2006 game CGI HellGate London and still nowhere near its fidelity.

9. Feed_Bucket

Feed_Bucket Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    They can't even get CGI right in most movies these days.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Imitation would be close enough, check some newer nvidia or AMD tech demos.

U4E, Luminous engine both came close to that, especially Luminous, but yeah where are those games..

Funny though they made another Luminous realtime demo FanalFantasy but with 3 or 4x TitanX, what a joke.. Guess I will have to wait another 2-3years :rolleyes:

11. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Thanks for the link. It looks pretty good. These guys pump out RTS pretty regularly and they are usually,ok. I like the base building plus fighting. I don't think these guys usually do base building.
    We need a real C&C or C&C Generals game. With good single player.
    If they did a new Battlezone or Mechwarrior with say the Frostbite or Crysis engine,and concentrated more on single player. Wow! Now your talking!

12. Incognito5000

Incognito5000 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 290
    Bringing back some memories there. I agree though...the fidelity still isn't "quite" there yet. It's getting there but not yet.

There needs to be some sorta break through in game building before we get to something different. Everything out there now is just derivative of what came before. Not a bad thing but not really inspiring.

13. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Loved that game. That video is great! Loved the chicks moves! I'd love to see a company stop with the greed and just let some devs make unique games. Bring back single player. Not just 10 hours either. Quit pumping out DLC non stop. Quit making Pay to win games. Suits aren't gamers,they just look at the bottom line. Why on God's green earth didn't Valve finish H3? Where is L4D3?

14. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    As a person who works in gaming industry and has experienced the "go with the flow" mentality from higher level. I think that business, making money, is the only main reason.

80s was mostly filled with indies and smaller companies so there were A LOT more diversity. 90s was a time of point n click adventure games, they were popular, so companies made them. Then became 3D shooters and as they started to sell, more companies went with that.

Also at the end of 90s game market started to saturate and we were heading to trend of bigger companies rule as they had the resources to produce more n more complex games and market them.

Now the trend seems to be the open world sandbox type of games, and as they sell companies try to clone that idea with different IPs.

Why is this? Because copying is WAY cheaper than spending year(s) on R&D to come up with something, that actually is a hit.

Game business is hit driven copy business, so progress is slow.

15. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    I agree with this. Which is why The Witcher 3 is open world,directly because of Skyrim. I'm tired of the same sh*t.. Bring back Battlezone,Mechwarrior,C&C,X-Wing,Dark Forces,Heretic,Hexen,Quake ect.. What's the problem? All awesome games! We are now seeing some new throwback games that are doing really well.. Pillars of Eternity,Divinity Original Sin,Wolfenstein.. Pretty sure that one killed. There are a few things I would have done differently with that game,but it was still very fun. I'm actually playing Battlezone 1 & 2 with HD packs and they are still fun. Whoever came up with that premise should get a giant raise! Consoles are the problem! They used to develope for PC's 1st,then the big companies swallowed up the smaller studio's and now its console 1st ,sh*tty PC port 2nd.. That's the entire problem right there. All the great PC games were developed for the PC,not the low denomination spec Consoles.. Just a crying shame!