Review: AMD Radeon R9 Fury X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 24, 2015.

1. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Must say, they scale very nicely.

Can just imagine how the dual GPU cards will perform.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    If the dual gpu has the same specs and clock speed of 2 separate cards they will perform the same. It ain't rocket science.

3. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
  4. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Apparently a person behind the tests can't do math for scaling. Thankfully, readers in the comments fixed it for him/them. What does this reminds me off...hmmm...

5. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I think Crossfire is the real bright spot for the FuryX compared to the 980 Ti, since they seem to throttle a lot less than the poor space-compressed and throttling 980 Ti's due to the water cooling.

On the other hand, their computer performance is not so spectacular as was made out previously in the thread:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/9390/the-amd-radeon-r9-fury-x-review/24

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    People I know do not have a problem with throttling on 980ti sli. I'm going to join that club very soon. Do not have throttling on my current cards that run a bit warmer.

7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I think I'm just at doing one card this time around.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Yeah you will see a good increase with 1 980ti, I wouldn't with 1 card though. I been buying sli for over 10 years now had to change.

9. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Here's where I'm going to have to respectively disagree with you. What you're providing is mere anecdotal evidence. However, several review sites I've seen doing SLI reviews with the 980 Ti has seen the cards throttle.

Could it be they are doing it wrong? Perhaps. However, these are the same sites that we are using to argue benchmarks with each other, and provide a level and controlled conditions.

Therefore, I'm going to have to stick with the cards throttling as a rule (with your "people I know" being the exceptions) until review sites point out otherwise.

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Thing is most review sites (this one included) use a test bench. Hilbert has not done a 980Ti SLI review. Open air bench "cases" show a huge weakness of the reference cooler.

11. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Throttling SLi is still better than no CF profile, late CF profile or very bad CF profile.

12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Perhaps, perhaps not. For that matter, not all the review sites used an open test rig. Bottom line is, until there are reputable review sites that show otherwise, the 980 Ti throttling will just have to stand as a point of fact in our discussions, the same way we say the Fury X uses more power and delivers less performance than the 980 Ti from those same reviews (and we take it as gospel, otherwise it's a "he said, she said" world on this forum and any discussion within the scientific method is pointless, and it becomes an opinion circle-jerk.

13. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Mine does not throttle..Though mine were cooled with Kraken G10..

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    There are more reason for card to throttle. even if you can keep it at 45°C, it still can throttle once power limit in vBIOS is reached.
    My HD7970 was throttling a lot in experiments with TDP as I lowered it to 175W.

That means reviewers could have card(s) which needed more juice for given clock than allowed.
    And different kind of workloads put different load on GPU even if each shows same 100% utilization.
    (One of reasons why review sited show sometimes quite different power consumption.)

But TDP throttling has simple solution, people just have to allow higher TDP limit and who cares if it eats 25/50W more.

15. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Get a load of this bench:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jAeLS-gmbo

Also, Look at the other videos that the uploader posted, Amazingly at same exact settings, The Fury X eats alot less vram then the Titan X, Some of his videos are almost the same vram usage, This is very interesting.

Strange, the vram usage count on titan X is alot more then fury X, Could be how the hbm works.

Hmmm, I can't wait for more updated drivers, I am looking foward for more juice coming out of this card and more voltage tweaks and overclockin', Can't wait for results in the future.

I am looking foward to the dual r9 fury x coming out very soon, what? this 15th?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015

16. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Battle of the kings, L@@K:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFpy2L3B8lk

Reason why the Titan X and the 980 Ti Oc stands out more is because of alot more overclocking potential headroom, whereas the r9 fury x can't overclock as much, If it had the same overclocking headroom, the r9 would win, on the overclocking part.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  17. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    well, that's the first.

18. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    No throttling here and I'm on air - in fact, I can boost them further than I do and they still don't throttle. I've yet to see them break 75c tbh.

19. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    I think if the R9 overclocking potential opens up as much as the 970/980 series, I strongly believe, the r9 fury X would easily win.

Hopefully Rivatuner fame: !Unwinder!, can unlock great hidden potential within this card.

When driver fully matures + Unwinder magic = R9 Fury X FTW.

Actually looking more into the dual R9 fury X version on a single pcb.

Scaling on xfire on the fury X seems Absolutely fantastic.

And damn! 41 Celcius underload on some games, WOW.

Waiting to see the normal fury card with the traditional air fans, love to see the difference in temps.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  20. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    R9 Fury has close to zero OC potential but ok, maybe it will "open up".

btw. that YT test is bs. Everyone knows 4th card in Sli barley scales 40%ish...