Frame rate control review

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by zer0_c0ol, Jul 5, 2015.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
  2. fardeenah

fardeenah Guest

GPU:
    R9 270X 2Gb
    on my r9 270X i can limit mininum of 55 fps, i wish i could use the slider to 30fps but its not present

3. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    AFIK right now the range is 55 to 95 FPS.

4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Double vsync with RadeonPro works quite nicely actually. I've noticed that RadeonPro's framelimiter might be restricting performance a bit too much at times though. In scenes that there are more than 30fps, if you enable the cap you might get lower.

So, any comment on how Gedosato is doing it? Any plans for Vsync/double vsync in RTSS?

Which sounds completely useless.

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Let your armour near just in case!

:D

Maybe AMD didn't know it.

:3eyes:

Is somebody notifying it via report form?

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=376922

LOL

6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I've seen him talk about that somewhere. Says that the RTSS frame limiter wasn't for gaming directly, but for recording and has no plans on doing anything else to it.

I'm more interested in when DX12 support will be added to Afterburner/RTSS :D

7. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I commented it a few times in AB forum. No, there are no plans to integrate VSync control in RTSS or transform its' framerate limiting module into some kind of adaptive VSync.
    The only reason why you have access to framerate limiting functionality in RTSS is MSI Afterburner's video capture functionality. Framerate limiting in RTSS was initially added as a helper for videocapture module aimed to reduce framerate fluctuations and increase smoothness of captured video under certain conditions. The only purpose of this module in RTSS is aligning 3D application frame times as close to target as it is possible for video encoding engine. So it won't be changed to provide anything besides that (e.g. lower CPU load as "requested" by user in that linked thread, reduce input lag and so on).
    Summarizing: if you're using it as a standalone framerate limiter - fine, but please take it as a bonus.

8. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I wonder if a 3rd party developer will once again be faster than AMD in implementing proper vsync/double vsync/triple buffering/frame limiter for a new api.

Oh wait, they don't even have them for current APIs. :look:

9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The byproduct of improving gameplay recording gave us smoother gaming performance. I'm not complaining.

10. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Clear enough, thanks. I guess I don't have to tell you that there is a huge market out there for proper (Single, Double, Quadruple, Adaptive)Vsync/Triple Buffering/Frame Limiter, and that it would make a lot of people very happy and keen at donations. I don't know your employment situation, and what you can or cannot do, just stating the obvious here.

11. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Like the 64-bit situation, support was held off as MSI wasn't requesting/sponsoring it, but users were. Then suddenly they do and support is added very quickly. We need to bug MSI about it.

12. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    Hi Unwinder! I would like to thank you for RTSS! I have no clue what would I do without proper OSD!

13. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    Yeah man, unfortunately AMD does not offer a half refresh feature, nor do any third party tools. You might get lucky using RadeonPro's double v-sync feature on DX10/11 games, but the games I tried it on don't react to it the way I expected. Some games offer a half refresh fps cap feature, but not many. There aren't many options at the moment :cry:

14. VAAS

VAAS Guest

GPU:
    Asus R9270OC 2Gb
    Look at this article from pcgamer:

http://www.pcgamer.com/durantes-witcher-3-analysis-the-alchemy-of-smoothness/

it shows how RTSS + Triple buffered vsync do miracles on game smoothness

input lag also seems better than w/ normal vsync

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  15. Dreamcream

Dreamcream Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280 Dual-X
    Frame rate control isn't working in my pc. I've tried some games but not limited fps :S

Is there anyone who has a problem?

16. Krelianz

Krelianz Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290x
    no actually is pretty accurate, you cried and used your mod powers when i reported a bug of afterburner in a bug thread about afterburner, shocking, i know, looks like i am not the only one, seems you are pmsing permanently.
    You seem to have some serious issues, but let's just leave it at that, we don't want you crying and thinking people can't talk back because you are a mod again do we?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  17. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
  18. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Do you expect an action movie or a thriller?

:D

19. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    A melodrama maybe? :D

20. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    A "David vs Goliath" remake.

LOL