back on the red team

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by xvcardzx, Jul 4, 2015.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Unless I am mistaken, the "shared pool" technique for SLI/CFX, can only work with SFR. For AFR both cards need to have the exact same contents on their memory. If you bet that your cards will pool with AFR under DX12, you might need to do a little research. (And throw any links this way, because I'm curious).

2. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    The whole "pooled" memory nonsense only works if each card is rendering completely different assets.

The game would have to be specifically coded to do so and would still require one card to be master for compositing.

CIV:BE partially did this with SFR.

dont hold your breath, its not going to happen.

3. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I actually believe that most good developers will go for SFR, that can more or less pool the memory, since each GPU has its own working set.

4. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I think The Mac is right on this.

What will be the purpose for the game dev to spent time and money for this in DX12?

How big is the multi-gpu base to justify a game developer to do it in DX12 if it was not enough in DX11?

As you said before:

Maybe Nvidia can spend some money to do it for his own GPUs through a new Gameworks 2.0 but i thnk AMD will not have this posibilty and force ($$$) with game devs.

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Multi-adapter user base is larger than CFX/SLI. DX12 supports the former which widens the scope of users.

6. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    A lot of features are PR moves. I hope that this is one of them, and I bet that proper AAA titles (except Ubi, because it is run by bridge trolls at the highest levels) will support both AFR and (more importantly) SFR.
    All news indicate that lock in is not possible in DX12. They have even said that cross-vendor multi-gpu is on the table.

7. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Not much larger base, if "generic" multi-gpu is 100% of SLI/crossfire combined , SLI base is around 3 parts (75%) and Crossfire is around 1part (25%).
    So from "3" or "1" targets to "4" target consumers.

Call me crazy but there is no need to lock: use DX 12.1 features powered by Gamework help.

Cross-vendor GPU power combined?

On paper it could pass the PR check but i want to see that working to believe!

If they have problems with frametimes and latency using the same GPUs combined imagine different GPUs with different power from different manufacturers.

Lucid Virtu MVP was not a big success if i remember well...

P.S.: We all know this discussion it's useless untill we see DX12 titles in the market but we need to fill the forums and spend the time meanwhile....

:)

8. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Those with GCN based APU's or Intel CPU's that have DX12 capable integrated graphics, they should be counted too if the engines support multi-adapter (Intel + AMD), etc.

9. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Something like Lucid Virtu MVP 3.0 for DX12 (2.0 was already released)?

Why it will work this time and not before?

10. Zoea

Zoea Guest

You've made a lot of posts and clearly know what you're doing.

I have a budget and am looking for an upgrade from a 6970 (2gb), for a 144hz 1080p TN screen. Which card would you recommend, either vendor? I was settling on the gtx 970 since it overclocks very well, and shows good draw call and frame latency performance (as far as I can tell). I'm after something which will offer strong Windows 10 DX11 (current game) performance, and also will scale well as the DX12 improvements come through. Perhaps for a couple of years, given the needed investment.

I realize that I don't have the budget for 144hz 1080p with my current screen and DX11 games but it would be nice to get close, or at least much closer, on a non-fixed budget ideally below £270.00

Any help appreciated. Sorry to derail the thread too... really unsure of the next step.

11. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    DX12 is a low-level API which gives more control to developers. Lucid MVP is a mess.

12. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    And more work for developer.

Lucid MVP was a pile of S*** but it's an example of "efficiency".

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  13. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Ok i really never heard of Lucid MVP, so does it work and why is a pile of s***?

14. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It's a pile of **** because it doesn't work :D
    Having it installed also causes BSOD's when installing new drivers.

15. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Did it increase fps?

16. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It never worked for me. The only thing I used it for is allowing my iGPU to encode videos :D Now that's possible without it.

17. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The Feature_Level 11, 12, 12_1, is for developers, not end users. There is no DX12.1, there is DX12. NVIDIA might be able to scum something with specific features, but up to a point. People are already very hostile into what they're doing with GameWorks, if they try to pull something like that, then the first people at their throat will be the Kepler people.

Don't confuse DX12 with Lucid. Lucid was writting a custom driver that was working with specific drivers from both vendors, and had support per game, that's why it never worked. With DX12 developers are free to use the available GPUs as they see fit, hence there can be cross-vendor SFR scenarios that no one can stop, otherwise your damn driver is out of spec.

Microsoft and Intel have said that mixed gpus are a thing, and that even a small iGP can give 10%+ boosts with SFR. In fact, multi-adapter is one of the great and big things about DX12.

18. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I didn't confuse them it was an example of a previous "attempt" to use cross-vendor GPUs.

And more work for game devs, too much work for so little market as you pointed: 300.000 multi-gpu users. (if we only count discrete GPUs).

PR ADs by now.

We will see the theory applied in real world in a while.

:)

19. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The thing is that if you count Intel IGPs and AMD integrated GPUs, the market is suddenly huge, and the implementation not so hard. You need more or less one paradigm per engine, and since I bet it will be SFR, you don't even have to take back any kind of kewl graphics to do it. I'm actually hopeful, much more hopeful than the DX11 multi-gpu situation (for both vendors), which looks like the B r a t i s l a v a scene from Eurotrip. (The forum censors the s l a v part, lol). Just don't expect the type of multi-gpu you like to be provided every time (like AFR vs SFR), or at all for smaller titles, and don't expect support from the GPU companies.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  20. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    This thread went to a guy loving his card to a debate real fast lol.

I've been on the fence for awhile was looking at the 980 and the 390x was hoping the fury was 500$ but if I'm spending that much might as well get the 980ti. The fury x is not a super let down to me but kinda over priced if you can get more from the ti at the same price, love the water cooling but it didn't seem from the reviews there was much oc room anyways : / so it being smaller with better cooling and so called better ram that's what your paying for.

I really wanted the red team to give me a real price difference to the green team. But I still might think of upgrading to the fury but if it's not better than the 980 what's the point : /.