Nvidia Inspector or RTSS Framerate Limiter ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Super1, Jul 3, 2015.

?

Do you prefer Nvidia Inspector or RTSS Framerate Limiter ?

1. Nvidia Inspector Framerate Limiter

18 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. RTSS Framerate Limiter

54 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it not inspector broken is the drivers implement that is different from RTSS, general better then internal drivers limiting which as been broken from time to time.

I had drivers there use cap @60 and have dips to 59.99, i had drivers that cap @ 60 but see spikes to 63 and dips to 59.99.

only game i have that issue with is swtor that issue is strickly the game engine sucks and is unoptimized, and few game i have that did stutter out side of that, did not stop when i did test them with HT off, setting pre render frames to 1 worked most the time though

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  2. SyntaX

SyntaX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    i have perceptible inputlag with RTSS in CS:GO. With Inspector Frameratelimiter is not working.

3. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    Well you wrote about how RTSS is CPU hungry, but in the link someone complained about RTSS making games CPU hungry, that's a difference.

But as i like to test things out, i fired up process explorer once again, and Warframe capped at 58FPS goes around 31.66%, uncapped (rebooted, RTSS not running) with Vsync 32.44%, and uncapped without Vsync 56.78%. To me the CPU load depends on framerate. Maybe there is problem only with some games.

Nevertheless, i don't see such high CPU load and you should go test it for yourself, the post is two years old afterall and some things change.

4. maxio

maxio Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Yes, in games.

Simple, but great example:
    Mafia demo, an old game, almost zero CPU load on even dual core cpu.

Inspector 60fps cap

[​IMG]

RTSS 60 fps cap

[​IMG]

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well I've been using MSI AB since v1 and Rivatuner before that and never experienced anything like that..

6. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    Well, apperantly only in some (maybe older?) games. Here is Mafia, and we can clearly see the massive difference, although it's not nonstop 100% even for that one core.
    http://s496.photobucket.com/user/bigfutus/media/mafia_zpsiqlqmraz.png.html

But here is Shadow of Mordor, again half of the time is RTSS active, but no difference in CPU usage. I tried also the new Thief, again no difference there.
    http://s496.photobucket.com/user/bigfutus/media/mordor_zpswzokpi3s.png.html

So my conclusion? RTSS can make some games CPU hungry, but not in general. Regardless, i am glad that i learned something new :)

7. maxio

maxio Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    In yours example you have 4 core cpu and "a bit" stronger cpu than mine, I used my old core 2 duo.
    The more cores, better cpu, the situation will change, that's nornal.

Try to run any game (non cpu hungry) capped on 2 cores then use RTSS and monitor inside game. ;-)

To sum it up, RTSS is more cpu hungry compared to Nvidia inspector.
    It is up to you what you expect to achieve.

Better smooth framerate at the cost of higher cpu usage OR less cpu usage with fluctuating frame times.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  8. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    This thread got me tinkering so I decided to try out Inspector vs Precision X frame limiter.I get a lot less stutters using PX, so I guess it's using more cpu? But can that be considered a form of triple buffering? When I enable TB the stutters come back hard.

9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I get no CPU usage difference with GTA V (uncapped FPS vs RTSS 50FPS).

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    how is that even possible?

11. maxio

maxio Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Possible what?

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    the 50% load from RTSS cap in that game vs 3% load with nvidia drivers implementation of limit.

13. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Wait loops can easily take a toll on the CPU, and they do. RTSS is proof of that. Saying that. I think it depends on the game and hardware where RTSS is concerned as some are effected more than others.
    You can do tests yourself with a few lines of code.

14. Burningcoals

Burningcoals Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980 Ti SC+ @1450Mhz
    Witcher 3 has built in limiter that caps 60, been using it.

What specifically is wrong with the one built into the game? What is different?

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Its smoother, something with frame pacing..

B3, BF4 build-in fps limiter is also worse then RTSS, more micro fluctuations 59.8 - 59.9fps. RTSS 59.9 -60.0fps almost all the time.

16. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    Honestly, i expect the modern games run like cr*p if i cap them to 2 cores :)

17. maxio

maxio Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    That was only example for testing purposes.
    Doesn't matter if you have 2 or 1000 cores.

Like I said before,
    It is up to you what you expect to achieve.

In the end you'll always have better smooth frame times with RTSS at the cost of higher cpu usage VS less cpu usage with fluctuating frame times with Inspector, that's the point.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  18. xenphor

xenphor Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD 6850 1GB
    I've been using Nvidia inspector for a while and just tried RTSS. All I can say is wow, I'm really impressed. I can achieve perfect 30fps lock in games like Unreal Tournament 3 and Crysis with minimal input lag. If I tried to do this with inspector the input lag would be insane and there would still be stuttering. Very nice. I've used Riva tuner before so is this different or some newer version? Because I don't remember it being this smooth before.

So about the cpu usage, does anyone have any hard facts about that or is it just anecdotal?

edit: Wow even with vsync off it still seems really smooth. Usually the tearing will be really disruptive but it's able to tear somewhat gracefully now.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  19. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    can i use both in the same time?

20. emusa

emusa Guest

GPU:
    Asus 780 (1140/6600 OC)
    Funny thing is, it's really dependent on the game/engine whether Rivatuner or Inspector produces the best results.

For example:
    Games like Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Far Cry 4, Fable Anniversary and Hitman Blood Money run the smoothest @60fps locked using Rivatuner. No doubt about it.

But.. Worms Clan Wars chugs along with Rivatuner and is smooth with Inspector. Same goes for Lego Batman 2; much smoother with Inspector compared to Rivatuner.