Happy Forest Real Time Engine Tech Demo

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I've gotta say, that looks pretty terrific alright. Check out the video after the break showcasing a Real Time Engine Tech Demo called "HAPPY FOREST"...

Happy Forest Real Time Engine Tech Demo

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Very good reflection shader code + GI.
    But question is what it runs on. DX12 Witch demo was running on 4x Titan X.
    There is probably reason for DX12 demos not being downloadable.

3. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    (near) static environments are pretty easy to render nowadays. its time a more interactive world be created. MOAR DESTRUCTION!!!!

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Destruction of the environment is troublesome because it requires lots of new models (that's expensive as it requires more 3D modellers, texture artists, and development time) and possibly dividing the existing ones suitable for partial destruction. This could also demand significant engine changes (if using a door loads a new area, then what happens if the whole wall is torn down?).

Depending on the game it can also bloat save files (could be even incremental, corruption prone things) and generally make the engine more unstable when the environment can't simply be loaded the same way every time but the engine must always keep checking if something needs to be overwritten. If it's MP, the destruction must be synchronized over the network.

It would be cool, but it's easy to understand why things change so slowly.

5. Battlefieldprin

Battlefieldprin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 780TI DC 2 OC 3GB
    Despite the improvement in the field of multithreading in general . Game engines usually have troubles using many cores. usually games end up using less power from high end GPUs and CPUS . Most game engines avoid different cores for the same operation. In fact all programmers do to avoid hell.

6. Teawithgrief

Teawithgrief Guest

Like others said. It seems we are moving to a world where everyone tries to make the best looking semi-static rendered picture.

Furthermore, ive been seeing "impressive" tech demos like this for 10 years now. I still dont see any games with any of this. Maybe NOW we start getting games that look like tech demos from 10 years ago, and they run like ****, even on all the expensive hardware.

The new fad is to cover up the game in all kinds of effects and heavy motion blur and what not, so you can barely see the game world. While mantaining low resoluton and 30fps.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Where have you seen impressive tech demos like this for 10 years? Like show me the demo that has this fidelity while running in real time 10 years ago?

The entire point of these engines, specifically UE4, is that anyone, literally any little studio can produce extremely high quality content with a small team in a short amount of time, with little to no upfront cost. Every time these demos get posted people complain about the most inane ****. "Wahh, no destruction". "Wahh the textures on the rock look blurry" "wahh too much motion blur". All these things are configurable and left up to artistic choice. If you want a demo with/without this stuff -- go build it yourself. The Engine is free. You can download texture packs/objects/materials/etc right from the store if you don't feel like building your own.

8. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Battlefield 3 handled it easy enough though.

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    That`s because engines are not .Net.
    .Net allows to utilize multithreading very easy (and through thread pool mechanics). Ofc, achieving massive parallelism is mega difficult task for all languages, but light subtasks in .Net is piece of cake.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I think what you're forgetting is this is a LIVE rendering. Sure, seeing realtime destruction would definitely be pretty cool, but people aren't appreciating the fact that videos like this used to take days or weeks to render just a few years ago.

11. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    Can't wait to download it and see how it runs on my machine. :)

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I can think about only one which may look good. That is AMD's ladybug techdemo. It is very small environment too, but looks impressive considering its age.
    http://developer.amd.com/resources/...deon-hd-5000-series-graphics-real-time-demos/

It can be downloaded somewhere.

13. dezmand07

dezmand07 Guest

GPU:
    Intel IrisProGraphics 580
    this is realy cool - UE4 on a I7-3770 / GTX970

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    They were kind of generous with that Chromatic Aberration.

15. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    I do believe the technology is there as well as the money.

i mean EA spent 200million on advertising

http://www.dealspwn.com/battlefield-3-call-duty-marketing-battle-cost-200-million-55606