back on the red team

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by xvcardzx, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Its was many manys years ago in a galaxy far from here .:):)

2. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Haven't some recent games provided a smoother experience on ultra with more VRAM? Watchdogs? GTA V? etc..

(Just asking so don't be a turd )

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  3. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I don't know for WatchDogs i don't play this game.

In GTA V and CFX the limt is not in Vram if you have at least 4GB per GPU but DX11.

I can max all in game settings but DX11 will limit the performance, GPU usage is lowered to 40-60% without CPU usage been maxed.

Once i lower DX11 taxing settings like in-game advanced settings (specially distance....) the GPU usage seems to be maxed almost alway at 99% and +100FPS at 1080p.

Other users like AMDMatt who has a 290X 8GB quad have the same problem.

DX11 is the limiting factor (right now) not the Vram amount....

4. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb

No one has even mentioned such things in this particular topic , are you of sound mind today :3eyes::3eyes:

5. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    The thing is, he wants to go from sli gtx 780 probably oc'd to cf r9 390 or single fury x to benefit from the freesync. So i can say based on this

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/R9_390_PCS_Plus/

you will definitely see improvement from single 780 to single 390. But with cf things are different. It is a hit or miss.

Going to single fury x, means depending on the game either win or loss. At times the fury x will give you as much fps as your sli setup and at times you will lose fps, but if you have the money, try it. If you don't find it appealing send it back, or if you decide to keep for awhile and see how it improves later on with better drivers, do so and then sell it if you are not satisfied. I am sure if you sell an r9 fury x within the next 4 months or so, you will still get 80% if not more of what you paid for it.

6. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Thanks oGow89 sound advice . maybe i should wait and see what happens with the fury as the drivers mature , and i will keep monitoring the AMD driver thread in the meantime before making a final decision to swap to the Red Team .... :)

7. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X

This is what I was referring to, its like kids fighting over whos dad is stronger.

Enjoy your "new" 290 dude :3

It feels like nVidia users are more upset than the AMD customers. lol

He works for amd what do you expect as a response?

I'd expect something that makes him look less noob.

After reading some of the AMD section on here... I realised Nvidia have a new killer feature. Buy an Nvidia card and you won't have to put up with brain dead forum posts.

8. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X

Seems like I hit a vram limit at >1440p in gtav, which is why I was asking. Also I am pretty sure it doesn't matter if you are in CFX or not. CFX has nothing to do with how much vram a game can use atm (could change in dx12, but I doubt it). Thanks for the reply though.

9. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    How is ''it feels like nvidia users are more upset with amd than the amd customer. lol'' is a like kids fighting?

Btw i wrote that one and i stand by it. :p

You can go over the threads for fury x and r9 390 390x not rebrands and you will see what i mean.

10. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    If you max all in game settings including advanced you'll need more than 4GB even at 1080p.

But before this, performance (GPU usage %) will be seriously affected by DX11 bottleneck.

Mainly advanced settings "distance".

This occurs as i said even with quad fire and 8 GB per GPU......and 5960X Extreme Edition.

Once distance is disabled (or MSAA?) the GPU are fully used no matter if you have 4 or 8GB Vram.

Limiting factor in this case is DX11 in this case not Vram.

11. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X

sounds legit, thanks sammarbella.

12. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    i dont know exactly what you 2 are talking about but...i just read GTAV and VRAM limitation.... and well i will just leave this here:

i have 2 GB vram in a CFX setup, and i play GTA V on FULL settings AND in 1440p except for MSAA and advanced graphic section.

in game i have to disable the limitation toggle and then the VRAM info shows 5326 MB ...
    but i can play without problems. getting 80-120 FPS.

driver is modded 1023.3 from vbs -> in my opinion the best one so far, i didnt test 1023.7 tho
    but on my system it runs better than 1023.5 and 1036/1038/1040

screens of settings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I have had no problems with 3gb cards in my signature at 1440p. High aa settings if not maxed. Most other setting on a minimum of high. That's what amd and nvidia want when the release double vram cards, for people to panic and spend more money needlessly.

14. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Vase you don't have any stuttering at all ? Because my friend with a GTX 770 (2gb) have a lot of stuttering when he plays GTA V online

15. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    I understand what your saying Tk , even with my 2x 780s 3g im gaming ' 1440p and yet to come into gaming problems , i think that the huge amount of vram thats being used is just cached vram .
    So i may just hold on to my cards for a bit longer or until i run into problems then make a decision about upgrading.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    DX12 might combine SLI vRAM anyway, so a 3GB SLI setup, could well become a 6GB SLI setup

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I can run out of vram in far cry 4 with 8xaa all maxed. Fps go in the single digits, Vram maxed on screen. Drop it to txaa 4x all other maxed and high fps, same maxed vram on screen. If your seeing vram maxed and high fps, there is some caching going on. I can probably run out of vram on other games at 1440p, but it isn't exactly easy to do at this time.

18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    8x AA no wonder :D

19. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Yes indeed i remember reading about this sometime ago :banana:
    This will make things interesting:)

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Think that is on a per game or engine basis, and the hundreds or however many of DX11 and under will be unaffected.