GTA V, cpu & GPU not max, but not holding 60 fps locked?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by nevernamed, Jul 2, 2015.

1. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    Hey guys, quick question here. I've done some tinkering but I'm a little confused.. I recently upgraded my PC from a i3 4160 to i7 4790k @ 4.6 ghz oc, and while I've noticed games like GTA that are CPU dependent show a drastic increase in FPS, it's still not hitting a locked 60 fps.. Strange thing is, GPU isn't maxed, nor is the CPU, and the framerate seems to flutter from 58.2 to 59.9 .. what could possibly be causing this? there ARE a couple spots where it will drop to 55 fps, but in those rare occasions something drives the GPU to 99%, but in instances where its not maxed, its not holding a locked frame rate...

why??

2. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    It was already discussed A LOT in this forum, short answer:

The botlleneck in this game it's at DX11 level.

Disable all advanced graphic settings in game and try again.

3. MatrixNetrunner

MatrixNetrunner Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor PCS+ R9 270X
    Try using 1040 DLL driver files for DirectX 11 from the DLL repository on this forum (if you are not already using it). 1040 and 15.15 drivers seem to have better CPU utilization that the previous drivers..

4. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    they're disabled except for the streaming for flying (which worked well on my 4160)

5. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3

Thanks man, I am using them. Which is why I find this all surprising.
    I'm using 15.5 beta as a base, and injected the .dlls for the game... That 1-2 frames is driving me nuts when most of the time my GPU is far from max and the cpu's are nowhere near it.

6. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Use the combo MatrixNetrunner recommended you: 15.5 drivers+ 1040 DLL's in game folder from DLL thread.

Try different MSAA and Grass settings in normal in game settings.

I reached 99% GPU usage (using CFX GPUs) maxing all normal in game settings and simply disabling all in game advanced settings, some fine tuning could be done of course.

7. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    yeah i'm using the 1040 dlls in the folder.. MSAA and FXAA are both off. Grass is on very high, dropping it doesn't really seem to affect much now. perhaps this problem will resolve itself with windows 10 in a few weeks

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Sorry to break your dreams:

W10 and W10 specific drivers is not solving the DX11 problems in AMD drivers.
    I use W10 and AMD drivers and it improves things more or less the same version modded for W8.1.

:(

9. marcoloves360

marcoloves360 Guest

GPU:
    S 290x Vapor-X @1090/1475
    try using other drivers, that sounds like bad drivers, or is your psu? 600w for a 280x humm dont know if that is good enough

10. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    I don't think power is an issue.

11. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3

ah yeah, well I wasn't sure if the final release will show more improvements on old DX11 based software.. DX12 stuff will be interesting when it comes.

12. Krelianz

Krelianz Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290x
    there is another bottleneck on gta v that people don't pay much attention and that is the hard drive, gta v is constantly streaming textures and loading from disk, especially when driving at highs speeds.

13. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    I was contemplating this could be an issue.. however the FPS seems to hang between 58-59 90% of the time, whether i'm standing still, driving in busy areas... the only time it drops to about 55 is in some heavily grassy areas..

14. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    dont try 1040...

try these modded ones, they are from the progressive branch:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=399312

i already recommended them to two people here and they are pretty happy with it. and those perform especially well in GTA V.

15. Krelianz

Krelianz Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290x
    grass is known to be one of the most resource intensive features in the game, they did something weird for the pc, lower it to medium.

16. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    1040 stutters on W10 with me in GTAV but not on W7-8.1. Ironic eh?

17. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Windows 10 isn't stable here. Stutters in GTA V too.

18. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Can you keep GPU-Z open while you play, and check for clocks fluctuation and VRAM usage?

19. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    Good for you! My fps is between 35-58.9, on very high settings 1080p, shadows+grass+post fx are on high. Even when I "unleash" my fps by turning off x4msaa and vsync, it drops down from 110 to 40. Although, without msaa the game looks ugly when I'm drivin :S.