Review: AMD Radeon R9 Fury X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 24, 2015.

1. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC

Guru3d shows the 295x2 gets better scores in Firestrike:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_970_sli_review,20.html

SLI scaling is not constant across different applications. That's life.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  2. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    How is it possible that AMD sent to the reviewers card with a damaged cooling? New owners of these cards often write that Fury is absolutely silent (regardless of load). Anyway, one of the two main objectives of the water cooling is silence. Meanwhile, the card tested by Hilbert, not enough, it works just as loud as 3-fan R9-390x, it also greatly increase loudness under load.
    Sometimes I have the impression that in AMD is working an infiltrator deliberately sabotaging own company? R9-290x was excellent card, but selected cooling solution simply was sabotaging this card. Their PR is silent about most vital for company reputation problems. People on the forums have done more in the direction of resolve misunderstandings than their own PR department, which takes money for it. I don’t understand them. In my opinion, AMD has a brilliant engineers, real visionaries. But their marketing is worse than your local car dealer.

3. Mars

Mars Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD7870 X 2 2 GIG
    http://www.cnet.com/news/intel-to-pay-amd-1-25-billion-in-antitrust-settlement/#!

Not sure why someone not guilty would pay out a billion dollars.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/12/us-intel-court-eu-idUSKBN0EN0M120140612

Did it again. Unfair trade practices.....

Please tell me how this doesn't hurt AMD in the market ?

I apologize, I didn't know guru3d was Intel Nvidia only forums. I though all people had a right to voice their experiences and opinions.

Funny how Only Nvidia cards are allowed to be amazing. Got news for you kid, the Fury X IS amazing, and it crushes titan x sli vs fury X crossfire. I posted charts earlier from digiltstorm.

Fury X is amazing card, I expect huge performance gains with better drivers and dx12.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Everyone is free to express their opinions. Just dont be too surprised when people roll their eyes at blatant fanboyism in either direction and which you seem to have amply demonstrated.

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Let's keep it clean kids.

6. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    You are seriously blaming Intel for AMD's downfall? You agree with their business choices regarding APUs? Their consumers want a competitive product for almost 4 years now and what did they get? More APUs and an octa-core processor which is weak in games.
    How can you blame Intel for the lost marketshare when AMD pulls off stuff like that?

7. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yes, it was questionable practices, and Intel settled with AMD for that. Hell, Intel payed AMD over a years worth of AMD's revenue (forget about profit), far more than AMD could have probably ever lost during that time.

And again, that's not what doomed AMD or even "assisted" in their downfall. It was AMD spending money they didn't have on companies, offices, etc., they couldn't afford. The final nail in the coffin was the bad management and poor research undertaken to understand future trends, as well as inexcusable delays on AMD's APU. In the end, AMD has no CPU product anyone wants, they have barely a competing GPU product that has much, much lower margins than the competition, etc.

So again, how is this anyone's other than AMD's fault for the position they are in now? How is it Nvidia's fault that AMD haven't launched a new architecture since 2011? How is it Intel's fault that the AMD's APUs are mostly garbage (and I say this as someone that owns one as well) next to the competition, and the the entire "work machines" (bulldozer, etc.) family are beyond outclassed by the competition to the point AMD is putting them inside their own flagship products?

Stop blaming the world for AMD's incompetence, it's not getting you any sympathy here.

8. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
  9. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
  10. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    1. I'm not a kid
    2. AMD cards can be amazing, yet as I've mentioned MANY times already AMD lacks the funding due to poor management decisions, and choices they made with their money to do proper R&D.
    3. AMD's marketing team sucks. They have their Gaming Evolved program, which if they marketed properly could help improve their share of the market. Yet, they do childish things like release promotional video saying "Are you ready!" or "Titan X killer" for months rather than pushing their gaming evolved program, that if used effectively could help paint a better image of the company.
    4. They had Mantle, yet let it die as Direct X 12 has proven it can do the same things and do it better.
    5. Fury X doesn't crush anything. If it crushed Titan X it would priced as such, yet it barely performs on par with the 980 Ti and that is why it is priced at $650 USD and NOT $999 USD like Titan X.
    7. Nothing you have posted or said proves that AMD is a better company. It just proves that they once caught Intel for bad business practices, which as Chillin already pointed out Intel paid AMD quite a large sum of money in return for these mistakes.
    8. AMD has shown due to their mismanagement of funds and R&D that they don't care about the consumers. If they cared about the consumers they would do proper R&D and release products people cared about. People don't care about APU's or a 4 year old graphics architecture. They want something that it comparable to the to the competition, and priced as such.
    9. If there is any company that is misleading and doing bad business it is AMD as they are passing off products to be high performing when benchmarks and testing have shown otherwise.
    10. You say that AMD will get more investors due to their current products, then how come many investors has come out said that they are not happy with them and aren't willing to invest in their products if they continue with their current trends?

Stop trying to paint AMD as the holy grail of the gaming industry. They aren't. Their current practices, and position with their investors paints an entirely different picture.

11. nexuno

nexuno Guest

GPU:
    rtx 3080 Eagle OC
    Well you might be right about point (1) but if the charts he posted are correct I'd say he is definitely right about the rest, that would be an amazing result!

12. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Are you kidding me? Have you not seen any of the other reviews posted here and on various other sites that show the Fury X performing on par with 980 Ti and in no way outperforms Titan X?

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Put the smallest of overclock on that Titan X SLI and the tide changes. Plus the Fury X already has frame-time issues with one card. Hope you don't have epilepsy, you may bite your tongue off at 4K with Fury X CF.

This is becoming a common thing on here. Find one review that is slanted to what you want the truth to be and plaster it everywhere claiming it's the gospel and all other reviews are lying.

14. Mars

Mars Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD7870 X 2 2 GIG
    Got a link for those frame time issues...

15. Mars

Mars Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD7870 X 2 2 GIG
    So all of Nvidia benchmarks are false ?

Shady : http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...action-lawsuit-over-graphics-card-ram-issues/

I'm not forcing anyone to choose a company or take a side. AMD is the company I chose to power my gaming and they do it very well.

16. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    For example a VERY PRO AMD review that shows the card is on par with the 980 Ti.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2015/06/24/amd-radeon-r9-fury-x-review-amd-at-their-best/

17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I can keep going.
    source
    Really dude I don't usually report people but this has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

Just so you know all 970's reviewed were the same as cards sent out to customers. reviewers weren't sent cards with higher specs than what Nvidia sold customers.

18. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    There is nothing wrong with AMD cards. There is nothing wrong with Nvidia cards. Both companies produce good cards. The reason why now a days that some people use Intel over AMD is because Intel has the superior CPUs right now but that can change once the Zen comes out.

19. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    ..and with Jim Keller as head of the design team I hope he can pull some of his K8 magic as that would be a wonderful thing for AMD.

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yes it can. Zen is a step in the right direction and I hope it is a success. I've been saying for years AMD needs to drop legacy support in their chipsets and move on.

AMD needs to be careful though don't squander this opportunity. Make a good CPU and APU, don't go just APU.