need help in deciding GTX 970 OR AMD R9 390-390X(or maybe r9 380)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by telgou, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Sapphire Nitro 390 8GB is around the same price as 970 3.5GB. Sapphire respectable, never had any problems with my Vapor-X cards.

2. angmar

angmar Guest

390x is not overkill for 1080p It's not enough in my experience. I still can't hit 60 fps in many games.

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Whatever you do, don't prefer a 390 (non X) to a 290x. The shader difference is real, and in the new benchmarks the older cards use the older driver. Performance is identical between the 390x and 290x with the drivers and frequencies being equal. If you find a good deal on a 290x with 8GB, get that. Otherwise forget the 390, it is a 290 on higher clock.

4. stevvie

stevvie Member Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    I'm putting off my upgrade from my 280X until real world benchmarks of DX12 are out, as we don't know how well these new cards from nvidia and rebadged cards from amd will do in that.

5. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    I don't know if you are reading this OP, but the 8GB VRAM on a 390 or a 390X is worthless. Some will say that the VRAM will come in handy at 1440p or 4K, but it can clearly be seen that a game that requires close to 4GB or more than 4GB of VRAM will not be rendered with playable framerates by none of these cards. If I were to choose between GTX 970, R9 390 and the R9 390X, I'd choose GTX 970. Simply because it works as intended.

6. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I agree with you but only for single GPU setups.

290X crossfired can push games at 4K/60 fps there the 8 GB Vram per GPU could have a real usage.

7. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    Known issues:

AMD Crossfire support is currently disabled for (insert your game title here) while AMD works closely with (insert the developer name of the title here) to resolve the issue. An update for this issue will be released as soon as it is available. (which is a fancy way of saying we're delayed and then releasing a poorly implemented CrossFire profile or none at all.)

Here's a racist joke: What're two computer peripherals that're red, sits together, draws enough electricity to sustain villages in (insert your 3rd world country name here) for a month, but yields zero performance gains?
    Two (or more) AMD cards in CrossFire (TriFire/QuadFire if applicable).

:D :infinity:

Please feel free to put this on your signatures, all of you CrossFire users if you believe it's going to make a difference.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I would say that if you plan to keep it around one and a half year, get the 970. If you plan for more, go for the 390x.

9. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Let me rephrase it:

WHEN crossifre profile works properly in a game and WHEN the games can take advantage of more than 4 GB of Vram per GPU....THEN 8 GB Vram in 290X (390X) can make a real difference in CFX scenarios cause 2x290X can move games at 4K/60FPS.

We must "be positive", "have patience" and "wait and see" and all the bla,bla,bla PR and fanboy BS.

At least the last official beta doesn't add a crossfire profile and suggest to disable it in the drivers changelog like the previous drivers!

LOL

I don't believe it will make a difference at all, it will only be a waste of time adding to my signature.

10. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    Crossfire has always been an inferior solution to SLI as far as frame delivery and latencies are concerned. Crossfire hardly ever works, Battlefield 4 doesn't count, at least not to me.

And if each and every AMD Crossfire owners who are disappointed by the lack of proper implementation in games within the drivers puts this up in their signature, when scrolling through the threads, the AMD PRs will have atleast something to read.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015

11. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    AMDMatt (the official AMD PR in this forum) is WELL AWARE of this situation as Quad 290X 8 GB user.

He even has a sticky thread (first one of this subsection) about how to properly use a crossfire setup:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=393394

12. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    he is a quad fury user now btw ;-) :banana:

13. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Right.

It must be great to use such GRAPHIC BEAST daily!