Batman: Arkham Knight

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    How'd they do it for Ps4?

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I really don't understand how this game gives so many of you troubles like crashing and memory leaks with much more powerful PC's. My clearly aging PC just suffered from the crash on exit bug, which I found out only by looking at the reliability report in action center.

I used to press alt-tab after the game loaded and had control of Batman and it helped my performance a lot, I rarely suffered from fps drops and it stayed at 60 fps the vast majority of the time. I had everything on normal, nvidia features switched off, full screen mode, and of course set the fps cap to 60.00.
    Give alt-tab a try, I used to do it with AC4 as well. Hopefully future patches will make the game better.

3. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Dat unified memory. :D

4. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    I suppose they already use tiled ressources where applicable. Remeber that GNM exposes all the features of the hardware unlike Directx 11.0, and we have to overcompensate somewhat with stronger hardware or in this case more VRAM and more RAM.

The unified memory on consoles must help as well, just like the absence of a PCI-E split between system ram and video memory.

Those are the quirks of the PC platform any multiplatform developper has to work around. I believe it's possible to retain the LOD/textures used on consoles (some games even use higher LODs on PC) and run it at much higher framerates, it just takes optimization the game clearly lack in its present state.

5. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    If GTA5 uses less video memory...
    Yeah, they can do it.

6. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Well the difference between the games are obvious... rockstar used more than a year on the gta 5 pc port, while the devs we given 8 weeks to do the arkham knight pc port.

I very much doubt that WB will use the time (aka Money) on fully optimizing the pc port.

But yeah, from what is shown on the screen in arkham knight, the vram consumption should be able to be cut in half.

7. mbushnaq00

mbushnaq00 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 980 Ti 6GB
    GPU usage is very low in this game, I get around 60% to 75% maximum usage which clearly indicates that our hardware is not fully utilized during the game.

They need to fix this asap

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    At 4k GPU usage is always 99%, less fps dips than in FHD. Watching DudeRandom84 videos he even said its strange. Somehow game is bottlenecked by resolution.

9. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    Closer to metal coding. DX12 could lift this game quite a lot if they add support.

10. mb

mb Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    having a played a lot more (i am now about 80% into the main story), i have to agree that there is too much focus on the batmobile. it definitely has been a great addition to the game especially at first it just blew me away but later i caught myself thinking "again"... especially the drones fights with the amounts of tanks being thrown at you are getting ridiculous.

11. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    I like the batmobiles battle mode and at first using it for problem solving is good, it makes sense on the scarecrow mission but it does get old after a while, I still prefer gliding around the city over driving around, I think when they focus on the car it just takes away from the realism, but it is the first time we've seen it in an arkham game so you can't blame them for wanting to show it off a bit.

12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    IF... those rumors are to be believed.
    And, honestly, I doubt them. For 12 people... 8 weeks... the port turned out awesome if that's honestly the case.

And, Warner Bros is loosing money right now. They'll only gain money if they fix the game. Which they are doing.
    A friend of mine who used to work for Monolith now works at WB. He told me last week the amount of action he was seeing there was insane.
    Saying that people were working through the night... taking hour long naps under their desks and going right back to work.

WB is putting everything into fixing the game. And having Rocksteady lead the process.

13. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    [​IMG]

14. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Once again with the realism. Everything about the Batman franchise is super not realistic.

15. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO

I don't know about that I think the new films have a lot more realism than the early films, Tim Burton's films for example, I think the games could reflect that, even Gotham has more realism than the old films,

I suppose it's a matter of taste but i'd prefer a batman game where game elements like the batmobile aren't overused, I wouldn't want to watch a 2 hour movie where batman used his car to solve every problem just like I don't want to play a game like that.

16. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    True, but the point is that there needs to be some form of balance to the situation.

I'll always agree that its a game and a game is allowed to take things beyond the realm of realism, as that's pretty much the point of games. But when you take a certain IP and start messing with it in an unrealistic manner (which in this case is the fighting in AK and AC is not very batman like) then things start to piss off fans and feel out of place.

Yes, a game needs to be fun and you can play with the variables to make sure that its enjoyable and functional, but once you start straying from the source material, you come really close to simply just making another game that has an ip pasted over the top of it.

For me, it feels more like rocksteady just took AC, took everything including the bad bits and shortcomings and turned it all up to 11. That's not who game development should work. It certainly seems that once again gamers have latched on to the idea that dev X can do no wrong regardless of how wrong they get it.

17. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The problem is... they've gone past "showing off" the Batmobile.
    They've shoved it into every aspect of the game. Want to solve a Riddler challenge? Get the Batmobile.
    Want to fight Firefly? Get the Batmobile. Here's a story mission! Get the Batmobile. Need to get a Riddler thug to get locations of his challenges and trophies? Get the Batmobile.

I don't it being there, and I understand it's the new shiny toy in the box. But, they literally shoved it into every aspect of the game. Making it obnoxious, and taking away from the fun it could have added to the game.
    Racing around the city... awesome. Fighting tanks... okay but gets tedious quick. Car based platforming and puzzle solving? Dear god no.

18. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    Just beat the main story. I really like how they showed Batman's struggle with Scarecrow's toxin. I won't spoil anything, but the ending was really good and Scarecrow was an awesome villain! :nerd:

19. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Imo, scarecrow was always a better villain than joker. Certainly more threatening.

I think that there's too much mutual respect of sorts between batman and the joker for either of them to feel that threatened by each other actions. There's just soooo much history there that they know what each other is going to do next or how they'll react to a certain situation.

20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    this is liek blashphemy..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.