Review: AMD Radeon R9 Fury X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 24, 2015.

1. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    You do know that Nvidia was pushing the 900 series as 4k capable way before AMD even released the Fury X and look at how that turned out. You need SLI to even get decent frames. You can say they adopted too early. They just want to stay competitive and in this day and age you can't really do that unless you market the newest thing. 4k is the newest thing. People want the latest and greatest. There are some willing to pay the price for it. Even if it is a large sum of money.

2. GreenAlien

GreenAlien Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 OC
    But NVidia did their homework for 1080p first. AMD is building a tower in a swamp. 4k doesnt generate enough income right now, it would have been more important to fix 1080p performance, than improve 4k which will take another 5-10 years to become remotely mainstream. Time, Nvidia has to use their superior R&D budget to fix their own 4k issues.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Im not saying for this specific case but in general, what 1000points is... And this can be driver improved too later

Who really cares if some random guy faked it with tessellation hack, you can fake on nvidia with positive LOD, IQ- performance and get 1000points easy, e.g. for hwbot :eek:c:

Anway, FuryX is a 980Ti/TitanX response and it delivered for what it is, 390X is a 980GTX response and that did its job too.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    But that there is AMDs problem for not providing proper scaling support..

Firestrike is 100% relative to performance comparisons in single card.

A single 290x scores around 10-11k iirc, a high OC 980ti will hit 22k. Yes we all know multigpu support is generally better for nvidia and i get comparing those, but Fury x is a single gpu card, therefore your reasoning doesnt have any merit.

5. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    My point has nothing to do with multi GPU support. AMD as of late has done just fine with multi GPU support IN GAMES which is my point. Firestrike has nothing to do with game performance nor is it a "good" benchmark for comparison since real world performance is completely different from card to card.

6. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    You put more effort into that non-post than I can bother to reply to. Grats!

7. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    No they haven't :D

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Who said it has anything to do with game performance?

Firestrike is equal to AMD and NVIDIA cards regarding performance. Many games are one sided to one or the other because the developer uses specific optimization. If x card outperforms y card in firestrike, its going to outperform it in any game provided developers dont optimize specifically for one or the other.

Sadly this is not a perfect world and many devs only test with AMD/NV or are paid out by either companies to outperform the other.

My initial statement still stands, firestrike is a great tool to test and compare the performance between cards.

9. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    +1 to agent, the people that don't understand that.... get yourself new knowledge about pc gaming.

10. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    What I dislike about FireStrike or (3DMark in general) is how it's coded to go completely overboard on your GPU. Run older 3DMark titles that were supposed to represent "future games". They still run like complete crap even on new hardware. I suspect Firestrike will be much the same in 5-10 years on whatever hardware is around then.

For benchmark suites, many people make "suicide runs" running their GPU/CPU at speeds they would never dream of running 24/7 just to get a higher benchmark score. That's neat and all but not particularly representative of reality.

I'm far more interested in how a card does in an actual game(s) than if it's better at getting a high score in Firestrike. 3DMark is one single data point in an ocean of data. Whether or not a game's been coded to run better with AMD/nvidia is a part of all this decision making. AMD's notoriously poor drivers will shine once again.

11. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It's actually much newer than Fury if you look at it in technological terms. FuryX is still based on the GCN architecture (relatively minor revision 1.2) that's several years old at this point; the only thing "new" on it is that it's using HBM memory instead of GDDR5.... it's not going to pull any tricks out of a hat from that. On the other hand, the GTX 980 Ti uses the Maxwell V2 architecture, which is much newer and feature rich than than GCN 1.2.

12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Source for that?

I'm sorry, but I'm equally skeptical of those claiming huge performance increases across the board for Nvidia as much as I am those that say for AMD. Previous experience have not shown this to be the case:

GTX 780 Ti performance increases average over the entire 2014: 6.2%
    http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/79245-amd-nvidias-2014-driver-progress/?page=6

That's barely out of the margin of error for most titles, and the reason it's so high is because of the biased average due to a single title showing double digits increase (GRID = +27%). If you leave out GRID, the average increase for the entire year across multiple titles is a mere 2.3%.... that's within the margin of error pretty much; or in other words, almost no increases.

13. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    By the way, here's Anandtech results:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1496?vs=1513

Fury X just get slaughtered by the GTX 980 Ti in everything but Far Cry 4 (at 4k).

Here's my final thoughts. The Fury X is not a bad card, it's just a good card at bad pricing. If this was priced at around $550 then I would say it's great and has a clear market. Unfortunately, AMD priced against a competitor which outperforms it and has better features in every way possible other than water cooling option and size (which is somewhat negated by the huge water cooler and power draw).

AMD's engineers did an amazing job with what they had, it's AMD's marketing and strategic planning departments which are the one's who have screwed up royally here in my opinion by bad marketing and bad pricing. Get this card down to $550 where it should be performance and feature wise against its competition, and people will be more impressed by it.

No one is saying a Nissan Leaf is not a wonderful car and marvel of modern technology, but you can't price it the same as a Tesla and expect it to sell or get good reviews.

14. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    I can see gaming performance leaning towards one or the other, however and again, even the games that are developed for lets say Nvidia card performance, the 295x2 still kills the other cards given there is a driver update for said game. The 295x2 dominating in either AMD or Nvidia "developed" games has nothing to do with being a multi GPU card since in fact and yet again the 295x2 performs worse than the titan or 980ti in firestrike but even in a Nvidia based the 295x2 kills either one of those cards in nearly every game review I've seen.

15. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    What was your 3dmark firestrike graphics score raging?

16. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    Standard clocks I'm getting about 17,200 or so. OC'd system is just shy of 18,000. When I first got my card only about 4 months ago I was getting 15,500. Since the recent driver updates I am now getting those higher numbers. It goes to show you what drivers can really do. There are a lot of reviews out for more recent cards such as the 980ti and Fury X that include comparisons of the old benchmarks of the 295x2 where the 980ti and Fury X beat the 295x2 by a very slim margin but when I run the tests with the new drivers on my 295x2 I'm much higher than those old tests, sometimes even by 30%.

17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Uhm what does the 295x2 have to do with anything. You said before it wasn't fair to base performance of fire strike regarding the fury x and the 980ti. Don't know where you are going with this

18. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    Unless voltage tweaks unlock some amazing OC potential (1300mhz+), then the Fury X will need a price drop to compete. Sucks for AMD, as it's understandable why they don't want to be the "value" brand - nobody will consider their brand prestigious, just like how clothes made for Wal Mart aren't prestigious.

19. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    I'm using the 295x2 as a very easy to understand example of why firestrike is so far off the mark from typical gaming performance. I didn't say it wasn't fair, I couldn't care less about what is fair, I said it is not accurate nor close to gaming performance indications of how different cards will compare.

20. Mars

Mars Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD7870 X 2 2 GIG