AMD Catalyst 15.6 Beta Driver for Windows OS out now

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by LtMatt81, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    nVidia was doing similiar thing. Your 980ti will be new 780ti when Pascal comes.

2. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    The difference is the 980Ti does not share the 780Ti specs, like the 290X vs 390X.

The 290X could perform a lot better if AMD wanted, but they don't.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    AMD is rebranding and nVidia is nerfing performance on older cards, choose your destiny! :D

4. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    AMD destiny is WAY better: you could flash 390(X) over "older" 290(X) models and get the benefits.

Nvidia nerfed models can't do that been really different series.

:D

5. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Well I choose a card that is twice as powerful as a single 290X, cooler, quieter, and draws less power. :)

6. kondziowy

kondziowy Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    Guys, can I ask where do you see better performance in 390x compared to 290x? All I see is 10% better clock + 20% better memory clock = it naturally translates to minimum 12% performance improvement. And in reviews.... it has 12% lead over 290x.

GTA V? Well that is because of 8GB vram. Am I missing something here?

7. Krelianz

Krelianz Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290x
    Please do tell me where can i get official 15.15 drivers for the 2xx series? Because no site and certainly not amd will use modded drivers for their tests, the "official" drivers for the 2xx series are the 13.12, 14.6 if they use betas, although they are almost the same. Every site will report results from 14.6 for 2xx series vs the new branch for 3xx series.

8. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Which card might that be? :D

9. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    The 390 cards are supposedly better binned, better overclcockable.
    I know from my card, performance increase is dramatically if I clock it 100Mhz higher on the core, unfortunately this only shows in benches since in games it will lockup the system.
    So a 390 that allows for higher clocks could easily show 10/15 % performance gains.
    As for the architecture, the driver will call on the hardware embedded on the card, and since many claim a 390 is a rebrand of 290 it would be very hard for amd to "cripple" the 290 cards without hurting the 390's.
    If they even do such a thing, which I doubt.

Now ofcourse I don't know if this goes for 290/390 cards, but it was the case for the 7950/70 cards. Going over a certain gpu clock gave major improvements. If the card allowed it.

10. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    I've tried 1.7.7, default settings both on mpc-hc and ccc, no OC and the problem is still there. I've also disabled hw acceleration on chrome to exclude it. The weird thing is that it happens since the last three betas, not on the omegas or previously.

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The 980Ti has the same 275W tdp. Let us not fool ourselves here, and it is not twice as powerful either. It does have twice the price though.

12. brightbule3921

brightbule3921 Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor AXRX460 2G/OC
    Hi
    I have similar issue with you,while what I encountered is with Potplayer and Firefox html5 video.

But the matter is the same : DXVA with random TDR after 14.12omega.
    In gaming the 15.x is just fine in my case.

I did some post at 15.4b thread if you are interesting you can read them:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/search.php?searchid=6877094
    This is the start:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5052170&postcount=240

The conclusion of my case is : either the card is broken/QC issue or not.

I rollback to 14.12omega and it is fine.I already reported this issue to "AMD Issue Reporting Form" and Powercolror service.Maybe you can also report it to AMD or ASUS so let them notice this issue.

Powercolor service told me if next release out and I still get the issue with it,them will do something for my card(maybe I will RMA or balabala..)

Since I don't have issue with 14.12omega,it is not the time to RAM yet.

I am waiting for the next major AMD driver release and then to see what will happen and what Powercolor will do for my case.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  13. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    the 3 series beta (15.15) is interesting, more profiles in the dlls & the caps than the 15.6 beta

MadMax.exe
    NAPA Designer.exe
    OVRServer_x86.exe (Occulus VR Host Server)
    OVRServer_x64.exe
    RainbowSix.exe
    vrcompositor.exe (Valve VR Compositor)

i also found these funny:
    Code:
    <application Title="Sample application record. Please remove after adding productional record" File="sample_please_remove.exe">
    	<use Area="NOMM-PXDynamic">HighPerfGPUAffinity</use>
    </application>

<application Title="Doom3" File="Doom3BFG.exe">
    	<use Area="OGL">RageProfile</use>
    </application>

<application Title="Left 4 Dead 2 - Steam" File="SteamAppId:550">
    	<use Area="OGL">HL2Profile</use>
    </application>

brap brap brap

i hope we get reviews of 2 series cards when they get the new driver branch, on some sites you see an unusually large gap between 290x & 390x when we know they should be almost identical

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Ive seen you say this multiple times already,
    No, the 980Ti has a 250 watt TDP.

BTW, TDP /=/ power consumption

290x uses almost 60watts more under load

[​IMG]

15. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Still closer than someone saying a 980ti is twice as powerful.

16. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    You're right. It has a 250W TDP. I should have double checked. And yes, it is different than total power consumption. Still, not too shabby for a card that has forgone almost all capability except gaming loads. And even then, it is not 2x faster than the 290x.

I've read around also that NVIDIA is gimping Kepler. I don't believe it, honestly. What I believe is that they are worse hardware than GCN 1.0, with much better drivers from the start. This is good if you are an NVIDIA customer, since you get most of your GPU from the get go, but leads to misunderstandings later, as AMD's driver improves. If you are hardware geek like me, you always wonder how AMD's cards are slower in the beginning, considering the hardware they are packing.

I bet that in two years from now the same will happen with the 290x and the GTX 970.
    This is happening since the times of the ATI 8500.

17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I dont think they are gimping performance purposely but i do believe with the newer branch of drivers, working on windows 10, they are focusing on maxwell and optimizations for maxwell may not be good for kepler..

Saw this post, like 5% slower with the latest branch of drivers compared to old ones.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=400385

18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    NVIDIA acknowledged Kelper performance and made optimizations to the driver AFTER all the reports about poor performance. If you don't believe it, NVIDIA did :D I don't even know if those optimizations did anything but they did acknowledge it.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  19. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    Great decision. Do not let the Fanboys tell you otherwise. The die hard AMD fan base in this section of the forum will moan about how bad the drivers are and etc. but will go bonkers if they see someone who has made the switch from Red to Green.

20. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    I'm not fan of either brands, each generation I choose I think whatever is best for me.

In the last years I had: HD5850, HD5970, 2x HD6970, 3x GTX580, 2x GTX680, 2x HD7970, 2x R290, 1x GTX970, 2x R9 290X, and now 980Ti.

As you see I don't care wether it's red or green, the 2x 290X have been an amazing cards for their value specially considering how long they lasted being the best GPU's (to me), only complaint I had was noise and heat, performance wise they are awesome.