New 290x user : Questions

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by b0uncyfr0, Jun 27, 2015.

1. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    Hey guys, so I pocked up a review Vapor X 290x for an incredibly price I couldn't refuse. So I'm on the 290x wagon till at least 16nm. I just have a few questions I think some of you might know the answers to. Naturally I've searched on other forums already but haven't found anything concrete related to me.

1) Why is the 290x bouncing around with the clock rate and voltage so much? My vapor x is really bad at this. The default is 1030 core but I've seen it as low as 950 and a high of 1140. What's even worse is that I've seen it running 1.24v in the witcher 3 menus. I'm very confused why it's doing this. How can I stop it or stabilise it?

2) Are drivers and or Afterburner related to this somehow?

3) What's the cosescus on overclocking cards with Elpida memory? Yay or nay? The vapor x comes default at 5500. I want an extra 500 just to say I'm running a 390x.

4) Does the 2xx line benefit from that new Frame rate control feature introduced o the 15.15 driver? Cause that's what I'm using.

Any answers to any of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    1/2) What are actually your settings in afterburner? Raised power limits, if not you should try it.
    3) Doubt you can hit 6GHz
    4) Try it, easy enough. Launch game and see if it has effect.

3. JonMS

JonMS Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA 980Ti FTW
    If the card doesn't need to run at full speed, it won't to save power and lower temps.

4. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    1) Afterburner "force constant voltage" could help with this, it will force 3D power state always on so no drop to 2D lower voltage but obviously the power used will be higher.

+50% in power limit will also help.

2) Yes, don't use the CCC OC section, OC only using afterburner.

3) you must if try your GPU can handle it unigine benchmark and other tools could help you to find your GPU memory and core limits.

4) AFIK frame limiter is still broke, maybe the modded 300 series driver supporting all AMD cards are better, i don't know. Try it.

5. haz_mat

haz_mat Guest

GPU:
    1070 FE
    Sometimes you'll see unusually high usage in menus, I know if I pause and minimize Alien: Isolation it will do pretty much the same thing as you describe. I think it is game dependent, not all games will do this - maybe the game isn't properly limiting its internal framerate at menus.

As to it hitting 1140 core and 1.2V, it should only do that if you set your OC to those offsets. Using ONLY Afterburner to do the OC, I will never see a core speed higher than what I've set.

Also, it can be tricky to find out why the core might be running at lower than you set it - sometimes its because the GPU didn't need to run at full speed for the given time interval, but it can also be throttling either due to temperature or power envelope. As a rule of thumb I just set my power limit to max (+50%) and play with volts and speeds from there. Keep an eye on your VRM temps as well, if those are hitting 100c+ they will cause throttling.

It shouldn't be necessary to force constant speeds and volts through AB if everything is working as intended. Technically this is unsupported and unofficial anyways. But if you manage to get a game running better, I would be sure to use a different profile when at desktop or running other games that don't need it.

6. marcoloves360

marcoloves360 Guest

GPU:
    S 290x Vapor-X @1090/1475
    hi i have the same card, the max i can get is 1150 on core and 1500 memory pull the mv to +100 and + 50 power limit. in unofficial overclocking mode dont use powerplay support that make the card downclock, other thing i could oc more but when the card hit around 75c it starts downcloking again, i dont know how to fix that and mine has hynix memory.

7. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    my XFX R9 290x easily hits 1525mhz with hynix, well +100 Aux easily xD.

8. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    So I booted up Win 7 last night and tested out some settings posted here and it was a much smoother experience. I disabled overclocking mode and maxed out the power slider.

I then tried the same settings in win 10 and it wasn't as good. My guess is that win 10 is the culprit. Probably isn't ready for solid gaming yet. The game I was tsdting was witCher 3 and it even reduced a lot of stuttering I was getting.