Review: AMD Radeon R9 Fury X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 24, 2015.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I see. I honestly was interested in seeing how the 980Ti fares in the overhead test with DX12.

:nerd:

2. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I am not overclocking it. I see no point at this moment as I am not hunting for score or anything. Just messing with software.
    And still no proper Windows 10 driver...
    Going on vacation for a week, so it may be here as I return.

4. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You don't want to overclock it? Omfg, everyone is waiting to see what you can do with it.. it's important.. :D The image of the card is at stake. :D

If you can do a 1250MHz oc on it or 1300, it'll do 19-20k definitely.

Because pretty much as we could already tell from the 17.2k score Fox got, it's on par with a reference 980 Ti stock for stock. Had Hilbert done the review with that driver it would've been different.. :D

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Limited supply....

6. Mtom

Mtom Member

GPU:
    290X lightning
    That looks promising..

What is Tonga mode and Hawaii mode?

7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    980 Tis been getting drivers for about 9 months or so hasn't it.

8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    nope, May 31st was the first one. there have been 4 so far (353.06 353.12 353.30 353.38)

It may look that long but its really the frequency of drivers :D

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    GCN has been getting drivers for about 3 years hasn't it?

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Those drivers have no code for Fiji, so as I had to add device ID into inf file, I picked one of tonga's and replaced it. so it used Tonga settings and stuff.
    And then I did same with Hawaii. But strangely, after reboot even Hawaii gets similar score like Tonga now.
    Maybe there is something what driver does differently or reads differently right after manual installation which changes after reboot.
    3.5 years. 1st big boost 1 month after HD7970 came as review driver was bugged beyond belief. I had semi-transparent textures if I used certain type of AA.
    Then 9 months afterwards 2nd big boost with 12.11 betas. since then it is small thing here and there.
    Edit: and then apparently windows 10 wddm 2.0 drivers gave me another big boost for HD7970.

Considering performance it had in reviews and that I bought it based on that as it was good enough. That card delivered probably greatest boost over time in history.

11. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    LOL. The 900 series GPU has been out for nearly a year. The Fury GPU is new, some of the technologies it utilizes are new, and some are from a previous generation such as you mentioned the GCN. Just because it is utilizes GCN tech doesn't mean the GPU isn't a new design. That's as if comparing Kelper to Maxwell and saying since they both use shaders nothing is different about them.

Also, Maxwell did see 15-20% gains after the first 6 months due to driver optimization. Since the 980 and 980ti ARE THE SAME GPU the 980ti will not see these gains, the drivers have been optimized already. The Fury has not even begun that journey. I will say that the undecided part to this is how well or how much effort will AMD put into their drivers, that has not been anything but a let down over the past couple years.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    In reality 980Ti is getting drivers as long as Titan X. There is no separate code path for those 2.

13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    You cant install older drivers unless you edit the .inf file and add references to the new device id.

14. Mtom

Mtom Member

GPU:
    290X lightning
    Your higyhest score is tesselation modified btw on 3dmark page

15. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    Have you tried dll's from 15.15?

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No. The only thing that's changed on Fiji is the memory controller and honestly even that isn't that different -- Tonga was already partially setup for HBM. It's a scaled Tonga chip. They slightly rearranged the CU's to fit more but their pipeline is exactly the same. Maxwell split the crossbar up and did a whole bunch of other stuff to the underlining pipeline of the cores themselves. Fiji didn't do anything like this.

The only significant gains AMD can possibly realize out of this via memory reduction. It's pretty obvious that in games like GTAV maxed out, Fury is overflowing the HBM and pulling from system memory. Their engineers claimed they can work around this via drivers. They clearly haven't done it yet -- but if they can make gains there, you'd see some improvement in those titles.

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Your highest 3d mark score is invalid. Tessellation modified.

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yeah that's why he provided us with just the compare nor each individual result.

19. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX

that's what I want to do :)
    you are not getting 1k more with a driver I gave the hint back a few and can easily see where he gains his fps+ .

Thanks for the bios fox I want to look around and get familiar with it
    but fox you really should disclose a MAJOR change in drivers when comparing drivers.

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Hey, that's it. I was scratching my head why I could not replicate it. I probably left RadeonPRO running And it Forced Global profile I was testing with Witcher 3 Hairworks.
    Thanks for confidence man. Maybe you just misread that I could not replicate it after reboot.