EK-FC R9 Fury X a AMD Radeon R9 FURY (X) Full Cover water block

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 26, 2015.

1. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I do understand perfectly what you wrote but it is obvious that you are very linear.

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    If you can clock it 1mhz over the stock clock, it is overclocking.

3. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    The cooling does matter when the VRM's aren't getting enough of it (on the stock WC system).

Technically, yes. T'is the definition of such. Headroom, is another thing :)

4. Despoiler

Despoiler Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire TRI-X R9 Fury
    What part of "AMD is not responsible for 3rd party tool development" is difficult for you? Nvidia is also not responsible for 3rd party tools. The same is true of any application in any industry. You are only responsible for the tools you provide. Just to be doubly clear, literally every single new card needs to be patched into MSI AB or any OC utility. Feel free to look at the changelog for MSI AB.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/version_history.cfm/msi_afterburner

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    His point isn't that MSI or someone will eventually take care of it. His point is that AMD should have prepared this ahead of time. They sat at their launch conference and discussed how incredible of an overclocker the card is. The NDA lifts and it looks piss poor because no one can test it. They shoudl have either A. Built their own OC utility. or B. Work with MSI/whoever to help develop theirs.

Especially when they knew that this could wouldn't be faster than a Ti. They should have done everything they could to mitigate the damage and they didn't.

6. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

Thank you denial, those were my exact thoughts and you fully unpacted it for him. I'm a bit lazy when writing from a touch screen.

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ?

I saw samples up to 1185mhz >> 135mhz OC no voltage and usually voltage control gets unlocked later (at least by AMD cards), check few older AMD gpu reviews and you will see what I mean.

8. jdc2389

jdc2389 Guest

GPU:
    980ti 1408/3650
    People would be singing AMD's praises if this didn't have fab issues and it released on time. Fact of the matter is HBM2 is coming relatively fast and this card has too many features that aren't ready for prime time the GCN isn't a newer version and the overclocking will be horrendous because under load it hits like 380W. No hdmi 2.0 no dvi-d and 980 ti having more ram and resell value while having room to overclock makes this card unattractive. This card would have been good for people 3-5 months ago. At least AMD has a comparable stock gpu to 980 ti for cheaper with enough vram to get by for most. Next year the real fun begins everyone' been waiting on a real node shrink including me.

9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    If only AMD thought about this and released the Fury X as a single slot card.

10. rafaprebianca

rafaprebianca Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I particularly liked, cleaner look.

11. CrisanT

CrisanT Guest

Overclocking

I dont know, maye AMD plays it safe. Take in consideration that a faulty GPU, now needs to be raplaced with the Vram also (since is on the GPU).

12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  13. NiscoRacing

NiscoRacing Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 4GB (WC)
    I was about to do the same post..
    Always click the spoilers :3eyes:

(hardware.info did a great job :approval: )

14. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    the silence and be able to ear the VRM :)

15. Teawithgrief

Teawithgrief Guest

So, now when Nvidia has the huge hot GPU with a bit more performance and
    AMD has the small, cool refined GPU with a bit less performance....

... the tables have turned an exact 180 degrees.

And yet - people still say they like nvidia better.

I think AMD should step out of the discreete GPU market entirely and you all would get EXACTLY what you deserve.

16. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Doesn't change the fact that it's behind the Ti, yet at the same price point.
    Not to mention the frequencies you can get from a Ti. This card can't even touch an overclocked Ti.

That being said, I understand why people are pissed.

Actually many of us do. Higher power consumption = higher TDP, which no overclocker wants unless they have money to throw at the problem until it goes away (liquid cooling, phase-inversion cooling, etc).
    And even if they do, many of them will prefer to keep it simple.

Your example with the gas consumption of a car is not quite there. I see your point and it makes sense, but a car will not heat up at the same rate as an electrical component (in this case a GPU). And cars have very efficient cooling since the surface area of the engine is huge and water is involved by standard.

1. Stop spreading so much hate, I've seen you do the exact same thing in other topics.
    2. People are pissed off because a watercooler is generally added because you want to overclock the card, yet this card offers piss-poor overclocking capabilities because.
    Thus, that watercooler loses most of its sense. Users are right to be pissed off.

In fact until recently I didn't want AMD to fall down to the ground, but now I'm thinking about the possibilities. They can get bought out by someone with more competent management. Because let's face it, it's poor decisions which threw AMD in this situation. APUs mainly. They made the same mistake Intel made with Itanium. They thought the whole industry would adopt their processors.
    The APU is a fine idea. Until you attach a piss-poor processor on it.

The way I see it, Zen and HBM + shrink are AMD's last chances. They have been bleeding a lot of marketshare.
    I know that a company can function as a medium-range component seller but that's not good for the users. Look at i7 prices. Getting bought out will probably be better for the users.

Oh and.. The Ti is not exactly hot.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  17. Teawithgrief

Teawithgrief Guest

1. Stop demonizing people who call out the bull****. Ive seen you do that in other threads.
    Getting tired of people who root for AMD and then wait for nvidia and intel prices to drop.

2. Im all for natural selection. If AMD dies, it dies and thats that. I agree with you that a buyout from someone else might be a better thing in the long run.

Even if the buyout process would mean a few years without gpus or apus and intel and nvidia would go nuts in an unnatural rage. Thats the part i would find annoying.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The Fury X and 980Ti have the same die size and the 980Ti uses 25w less power. The Fury X is cooler because it ships with liquid cooling. EVGA ships a 980Ti with liquid cooling AIO as well. And as you said the 980 Ti is faster. So I'm not sure how that's 180 degrees. If you compare the EVGA AIO 980Ti, the only thing the Fury X does better is price. That's it. And even there for most people the 15% gain over a reference Ti justifies the extra $100.

19. northwest6451

northwest6451 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 280X
    Very nice

I need one.:nerd:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    What? The 980Ti is a cooler card by a fair margin and uses less power as well. Both using the exact same cooler, the fury x would easily be 10c hotter.

Plus most 980Tis will hit 1500mhz and thats a performance increase of 20%.