Bay Area GeForce users w/ random Chrome TDRs after installing 352.86+ driver...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by ManuelG, Jun 6, 2015.

1. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    Not sure if I can go into detail but suffice to say it was timing related which is why it was very difficult to reproduce in our labs for so long and thus why it took a while for us to root cause the problem.

2. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Very nice that you found a way to solve this,yet feedback is what helped you the most. I really hope that Nvidia Co will continue to take seriously such kind of users' feedback as this way work for the best,for all.

Thanks in advance Manuel and keep up.

< IMHO don't haste to release stuff that you are not sure about it,better to take longer than to be semi-faulty ("beta" let's say), this way you will earn more respect from desent users because quality is better than rush releases>

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  3. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    Finally, thanks ManuelG

However in future better contact with your customer base would've gone a long way, also the latest release notes needed to address that Nvidia were looking into this problem rather than a blank slate

4. FDisk

FDisk Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    Specially when releasing game ready driver without fixing a much more important issue that is effecting so many, and all this for a game that has been pulled from sales for being a horrible PC port anyway. http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/25/batman-arkham-knight-pc-pulled-from-shelves/?ncid=rss_truncated

5. Provost

Provost Guest

GPU:
    Titan 4 way sli
    Ok. Sounds good. But, please feel free to go into the details, I am sure we can handle it. This may help folks troubleshoot on their own in the future.

6. cyenz

cyenz Member Guru

GPU:
    7970M
    Thanks ManuelG! It´s about time but the good news is that you guys discovered the root cause because personaly i was getting sick of all those TDR in desktop (and some in games too).

7. Shelledfade

Shelledfade Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    I really hope this hotfix they release works, because games/benchmarks were crashing for me on these newer drivers even at stock gpu clocks. on 347.88 even my extreme OC works fine.

Let's just hope this hotfix they're testing actually works.

8. ruiner13

ruiner13 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080
    @ManuelG, is there anything we can do configuration wise to minimize the chances of it happening? While I'm happy you found the issue, since it is already Thursday in the US I'm guessing we won't get the fix until next week at the earliest (you don't seem to release updates late in the week, likely to not hammer weekend support). Anything you can share that could help us avoid this until then would be great...

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I agree with that. The releases notes for the latest v353.30 drivers make no mention of the TDRs as an unresolved issue. That makes NVIDIA look as if they're trying to hide it IMO.

10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I agree with that. The releases notes for the latest v353.30 drivers make no mention of the TDRs as an unresolved issue. That makes NVIDIA look as if they're trying to hide it IMO.

And, haha, just realised that driver was a game-ready one for Batman: Arkham Knights, wasn't it? Shame then that the game wasn't actually ready... ;)

11. Klementh

Klementh Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1060 3GB
    Can you say what the systems with the problem have in common, besides the drivers?

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    He said its a driver timing issue.

Probably nvapi poll rate or p-state/voltage timing issue or both.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  13. KarloVranjes

KarloVranjes Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 980
    So hotfix will come in few days or in next month?

14. blackroseMD1

blackroseMD1 Active Member

GPU:
    ROG Strix 4090 OC
    Will there be a Windows 10 version as well, or will that have to wait for the next main release?

15. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Spamming has began...
    chill guys,it will be released when it will be ready, no reason to ask.

16. otyg

otyg Guest

GPU:
    I really wish they would fix the P-State bug when running multiple monitors in extend mode, the driver is supposed to down-clock the GPU to it's lowest P-State (P8) when idle, however it only works correctly in single monitor mode or surround mode...

This bug has been present since the 560 ti was released (maybe even before) and it's still present on the 9xx series cards..

annoying to have to use "Nvidia Inspector Multi Display Power Saver" when this should be fixed in the Nvidia drivers.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  17. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    There is a driver floating about that is a pre-release driver and fixes the TDR's anyone got this driver to hand?

18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    It's not a bug. It is even listed as being a normal state in the driver release notes. Their justification is that it is for stability in driving multiple monitors. So, the driver isn't supposed to down clock under those conditions.
    Page 32 of the latest version of the release notes:

GPU Runs at a High Performance Level (full clock speeds) in Multi-display Modes

This is a hardware limitation with desktop and older notebook GPUs, and not a software bug. When multiple displays are connected and active, the GPU will always operate with full clock speeds in order to efficiently drive multiple displays–even when no 3D programs are running.

19. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Hey Manuel G...What does Bay Area users mean in your thread title?

20. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    It's where members who live in that area close to Nvidia or Manual G can provide their systems for extra help, at a guess