Review: AMD Radeon R9 Fury X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Mars

Mars Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD7870 X 2 2 GIG
    On a system that cant fully utilize the new technology, dx11 :). Maybe save the bashing for later this summer when the card is retested on DX12 :)

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
  3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
  4. bucknuts21

bucknuts21 Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB
    The Fury X would need a insane amount of a boost from windows 10 considering it cant out do a a stock non OC'd 980ti. Maybe it will get one but I don't see it.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I like it when new members come here and ignore the obvious. Instead they try to start a war with someone a lot more intelligent than them. It always amuses me.

Go read through the charts, take your time, report back. You're excused now.

6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I did. Looks equal +/- in most of the 4k benchmarks.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah, because Nvidia cards are going to receive no gains from DX12 either, right?

The people banking on a driver to make this card good are delusional. It's not happening. This isn't a new architecture, this is GCN slightly rehashed. There is no magically gains coming, 2-5% at most. As for DX12, it puts the driver package into the hands of developers, developers like the people who build Batman. Yeah I can really see them optimizing well /s.

The only good thing to come out of this card is the fact that AMD has HBM out of the way. Hopefully with a shrink + new architecture + what they've learned from this, they can take it forward with a new product next year. Nvidia may trip up implementing new Arch + HBM + Tri-gate node+ Mezzanine design -- that could be an opportunity for AMD to catch up.

The card isn't completely terrible for the price + I'm sure it will come down, but overall it's disappointing.

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I don't think the huge DirectX 11 optimisations are in the Fury Windows 8.1 driver either :)/

Just to summarise what I said a few posts back.

I think AMD realises that come 29 July, there will probably be a new wave of comparative reviews. These reviews that will be using the optimised drivers (hopefully properly available by then) where the Fury and other AMD cards can shine in DirectX 11 and 12. Even GCN 1.0 cards should benefit greatly by these optimisations. Yes, Nvidia will benefit greatly from DirectX 12 as well, but Nvidia have already received the DirectX 11 love, so Windows 10 release should favour AMD.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2015
  9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    And Nvidia cards will not get the same advantage?

10. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Seems like fury is a 4k card, see how it fares in DX12 though.

The price doesn't justify its performance in 1080p/1440p though.

11. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Currently AMD has more draw calls in DX12 compared to NVIDIA. That doesn't mean anything directly and right now it's too soon to tell. Look at the DX11 scores though :D

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

AMD have made some major DirectX 11 optimisations in the Windows 10 driver apparently. These optimisations are overdue, Nvidia optimised their driver several months back. This is why it will benefit AMD at that time, because the Fury Windows 8.1 driver didn't get those optimisations.

The optimisations are a driver thing that just happens to be only in the Windows 10 driver. Nvidia have already optimised their driver largely for DirectX 11, AMD are 'playing catchup', if you want to look at it that way.

So, benefit will be in favour of AMD (most likely).

13. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The benefits we got from the Windows 10 driver was less framespikes, and higher lowest FPS. We didn't gain FPS at the top end sadly.

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yes we all know AMD has a driver overhead problem, but what if Nvidia has not optimized for DX12 yet. All I'm saying is don't count on someone else to do AMD's job for them. Nvidia has never done that.

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    While you were quarreling about need to reduce Fury X price, available units on stores are already sold.
    AMD will reduce price if needs be, but for now it looks like they do not have to.

16. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    What if AMD hasn't either?

17. Mars

Mars Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD7870 X 2 2 GIG
    been a lurker since voodoo 3dfx, I apologize for not joining the forum sooner :)

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That's quite old, and before the DirectX 11 optimisations of AMD's were applied.

You can use that graph though to highlight the optimisation difference between Nvidia (with that carried over from their Windows 8.1 driver) and the optimisation level currently in the AMD Windows 8.1 driver.

That is why I'm suggesting that the Fury will shine once Windows 10 is released. Not due to Windows 10, but due to the optimisations that just happen to be only in the very latest Windows 10 driver (leaked driver). It is likely that there will be further optimisations before 29 July.

19. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Those Windows 10 drivers are for the select few that bothered installing the modded drivers or those that are testing Windows 10.
    I was showing the images for the DX12 scores though.

20. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    that's what i was thinking. it cant even outdo the reference 980ti card and manages to squeak by, by a tiny fraction of fps at very very high resolution. the only real advantage i see with the Fury card right now is the super awesome cooling and HBM. other than that, i would still buy a 980ti over it. then down the road switch for the HBMv2 cards from Nvidia.