Review: AMD Radeon R9 Fury X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 24, 2015.

1. lordfernando

lordfernando Guest

GPU:
    Ok, my retailer just put Fury X in.

Sapphire Fury X, 709.90€

Gainward or Zotac 980TI, 749.90€

This is the lowest price for each model.

I've always supported AMD, rarely disappointed with my gaming experience.
    So a dime is a dime, i'll go for the Sapphire.

My 7970 is a Sapphire and goes to 3 years age with no problem.

But i think i'll wait a week or two, to see if the prices evolves.

2. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    AMD doesn't have poor driver support, please stop that, they're doing all they can.

Maybe the performance is hidden in that locked voltage, why would it be locked though, wtf? All this overclocking potential wasted, maybe it doesn't oc more though.. we don't know... anyways, properly disappointed with the oc performance, totally pathetic.

Maybe some of that can still be unlocked in the locked voltage though.

Still getting a 980 Ti though.. the Fury X is too weak.

3. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Remember i told you u gonna sell your soul to the greenside? I WAS RIGHT, you belong to me, in body mind and soul :D

980TI cannot be beaten, once u overclock u have a good flier :D

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It is bad in project cars, so bad that pretty weak nVidia's cards do better than Fury X. There are few more games like that. GTX970 gives it solid beating there too.

5. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Haha yeah I know that dude, that's why I'm getting it, I hoped the fury x would be better though both in performance and price, but seems not like it.

So 980 Ti it is, although I don't like the price, but if I want the top card for my 1440p 100hz+ monitor then that it is.. :D

G1 Gaming currently goes for 740€.

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Think it's only the memory that's locked mate. The 980ti will be such a massive step up in performance, noise control and thermals. You'll love it. Which one are you going for?

EDIT: ah, I see it's the G1. Great cards for most (never me).

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    In my experience upping the voltage gives barely any gain once you hit the limit. I don't think that voltage control will improve things. One thing is sure though: it will make the card suck even more power.

8. rodrigoles

rodrigoles Master Guru

GPU:
    Rx 5600 XT
    Maybe in the long run this card will shine.

Just look at the 7970/280x, it used to compete with the gtx 680/770, now it's on par with the GTX Titan(2~3x more expensive) and 780. The 290/290x used to compete with the gtx 780/780ti, and now they're neck to neck with the Gtx 970/980. Who knows, Fury X could end up equalling the future GTX 1080 some day.:wanker:

9. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Absolutely great review as always Hilbert , thank you.

Sure i really was expecting much more out of the Fury X , i am really disappointed at the performance :/ , the lack of voltage control , locked HBM memory overclock is really hard to overlook. Even my overclokers friends at hwbot and mad enginners have not been able to bypass this , not even my close friend Peter Tan ( Shamino ) has been able to give us a workaround around this overclocking problems , bios seems to be locked too , so no modifications for now until the hard core hard volt mods soldering VRs to this small pcb can be made and / or find a way to unlock the bios. My Overclocker point of view and my opinion , not worth it all the hype and even with volt mods ( if / or when available ) i still have no hopes for Fury X to beat the highly overclockable 980Ti when both are overclocked to the max.

My Gamer opinion , it an ok card for gaming but not as good as the 980Ti , is no brainer really , 6GB > 4GB , 980TI OC > Fury X OC , Performance 980Ti > Fury X. Also the lack of HDMI 2.0 support , no DVI connections and you cannot replace the small AIO liquid cooler are the facts that make the Fury X less appealing for gamers like me with full custom water loops , as it seems there will be no water blocks made for Fury X :/ as it makes absolutely no sense at all ( will have to pray for that ). Coming from a 4x 290X Quadfire set up myself , the lack of drivers and optimizations for more than one AMD card is another big let down , at minimum abysmal crossfire support and is the reality , a fact.

Well as of today my new upgrade path look like this = No more CF or SLI for me , enough is enough. One 980Ti and i will add a full cover water block and overclock it to the moon with a moded bios , Skylake cpu , Socket 1151 Z-170 chipset asus motherboatd , 16GB 3200 DDR4 Ram , and finally new OS windows 10 , so i am not in a big hurry for my big next upgrade and my htpc on my specifications will have to hold me over until then :D. Well that was my personal opinion as a profesional overclocker and gamer :thumbup:

10. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    Project cars uses an overabundence of PHYSX effects because of Gameworks, so AMD GPUS are using CPU acceleration PHYSX.

But yes, AMD Driver support is..........."okay", but things like Gameworks are making NVIDIA the better value proposition.

Tho Warner didn't even get Batman right on NVIDIA lol

11. Glasofruix

Glasofruix Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    I'd say, if the fury is priced lower than 980ti, i'd be tempted to go for it (AMD cards tend to fend better overtime than nvidia, just look at the 770 performance compared to a 280x), but right now they're priced about the same...

12. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    1 of 2 things will happen:

1. Fury X has low sales because 980 Ti is better value - so Fury X MSRP goes down

Or
    2. NVIDIA lols at AMD and increases 980 Ti MSRP.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I only ever up the voltage (slightly) when I'm almost perfect on my overclock, but there's issues here and there. A couple of nothes up crease the issues out, normaly.

Like with my 970, it would only run rock solid at 1450mhz with stock volts, upping the volts by +12 in MSIA allows me to run 1500mhz 24/7, not a single problem. I could probably even go higher than that but 1500 sounds fine to me for every day use.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    it would be quite funny if nvidia upped their 980ti msrp. It would be one of those "in your face" moments.

15. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    just got my two fury x.. 600 euro each with the ramadan disscount

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    chispy mate, you kinda nailed it towards the end of the first paragraph. Would it really be worth it to go to all the lengths to hard mod the FuryX just to get that extra bit of performance? As a fun project, maybe. Don't know. But even so, that's for the select crazy few who are willing to do things like this to their expensive PCBs.

c0ol

17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Looks like its time for amd to make dinner plates or alarm clocks. I really dont know why they continue to make gpu's. Even I they do get I right there driver division sucks. Waste of Time once again.

18. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Same, I just ordered two EVGA 980TI SC with the intention of putting both of them in my main box but now I'm thinking I might put one in my main box and the other in my sim box as I am so fed up with multi GPU at this point.

With engines like U4 supposedly being SLI/CF unfriendly, I can only see this trend getting worse.

Cheers :)

19. thefather

thefather Guest

i am old school,
    once i owned Rage Fury, doing things that no one at that time did not do, (s-video, video decompression i.e.) now i ordered Fury X because i think the world is more than 10 fps better, don't live in world of high megapixels (fps), because in this world is no place for ARM, VR,AMD(ati), and many more
    I hope you understand me.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    that would be a nope.