AMD Catalyst 15.6 Beta Driver for Windows OS out now

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by LtMatt81, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Krelianz

Krelianz Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290x
    But there are a few fallacies in your statement, the w10 drivers were modded easily by a single person to work on other windows/cards, is not like they would have to dedicate any significant work in making them compatible, this is done by nothing else than choice/not caring, not because resources. Windows 7 may be deprecated but windows 8.1 still has a lot of support, in fact as of right now is the most modern windows, since win10 is still in beta and you cannot expect a 100% adoption rate of an operative system in a month, not even a year, i for one, will try the retail version of win10 but i don't expect to be upgrading my main pc anytime soon, i tested their beta recently and how can they expect to release in 1 month when the beta seems like an alpha i don't know but let's give microsoft the benefit of the doubt, even then just ignoring support for the current operative system is beyond negligent by amd, even more so when they can just easily make their drivers compatible.
    And as far as i know nvidia is releasing their drivers for all windows, not just win10, but i could be wrong, plus their drivers were already very good, we just started seeing amd lowering the huge cpu overhead they have with theirs on win10 and the other windows are not getting the benefits unless you use modded drivers, though to be fair they do intend to release an updated driver soon for all windows.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  2. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    NitroRX6800
    what kind of annoyance ?

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Windows updates not currently optional.

The new start menu. The lack of a proper functioning search system from the start menu as well without querying bing or cortana.

The new default applications system is just frustrating as hell. The amount of times it's reset from updating software or installing another, then you have to search for the option again using that very bog standard new type of settings menu (the one the updates are located).
    You can't just assign an application as default anymore within the application you have to use the new stupid menu.

Everything has been simplified, even the volume panel when you click the speaker icon from the tray. You have to right click to get to the mixer.

They're trying to make everything universal like the new settings menu and the network/personalization things.
    Windows 8.1 you run an application and it either launches as a modern application or a desktop application. They've gone that bit further and now desktop applications now launch "modernized" sometimes they launch the modernized version, sometimes the "old" version (control panel for example).
    It's a mess to me.

4. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    NitroRX6800
    that sounded like a recipe for disaster,

i wonder why they can confidently think that win 10 is gonna come on top.

oh i heard that on win10, every desktop applications, free or paid, has to go through app store, is that true ?

no one can release free app without MS permission if that is true.

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    That's not true but it may be in the works for later Windows versions. Installing applications nowadays without stores is called "side-loading" we've done that for a very long time and it could be something Microsoft could control.

6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I am amazed there is actually a driver out with the release of the game... CF support while not there yet (no wonder), it is kind of good to see AMD releasing drivers in time for AAA.

7. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Yeah it's a good thing but one of the reasons we don't expect game ready drivers for GameWorks games is the talk about contracts preventing AMD optimizations. Batman has literally nulled that theory. Complicated things that bit more for me.

8. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    NitroRX6800
    nah, i heard it will be in win 10, because MS aims that win 10 is the last windows version, so they are moving into Apple's way of releasing OS.

MS themself even said, there wont be win 11 or 12 or anything like that.

only win 10.

9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Windows RT has a similar system but it's not activated right now in Windows 10. You can install via archives/exe's without the store.

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It's the mindset of a stubborn person. He does not want to upgrade, and will find any reason not to. For example, if they honestly hate the new start menu (and not just hate it because it's different), then they'll claim that installing Classic Shell start menu etc is too difficult or something along those lines.

The funny thing is, if Windows 8, 8.1, and the label of Windows 10 never existed, and it was merely called Windows 7 SP2, the very same obstinate people not wanting to change to Windows 10 will probably think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Part of the hatred is the fact they are 'being made to' change, rather than the change itself.

The fact is, there may be new Windows 7/8.1 drivers later, but only rare drivers and only intended or businesses who do not receive the free upgrade. They have a good reason not to upgrade... cost! You can almost guarantee that once one of these drivers become available, if they become available, that people will jump on it as a sign... then complain that performance in particular games hasn't improved. Of course, any improvements in the driver will be as part of the driver itself, not specific game improvements.

So, come after 29 July and these people are still whinging about Windows 7 or 8.1 etc, they're effectively just a new class of troll. The solution to their woes is simple, they just don't want to budge that mindset of theirs.

11. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Yeah, I am willing to bet AMD does not have the resources to keep up with making drivers for all the games. Not that long a go AMD actually had bigger rnd budget then nvidia now it is 50% less.

No clue what is the deal with xfire really not working with nvidia titles it did require dying light devs to patch the game to get xfire to work to some degree...

12. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    IMPORTANT NOTE: Catalyst 15.6 Beta DOES NOT support the new AMD Radeon Fury X, Radeon R9 300 Series, and Radeon R 7 300 Series graphics cards. For the Catalyst driver supporting the R9 300 and R7 300 series products, go to: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-300-Series.aspx. The driver package has been updated with Batman: Arkham Knight optimisations.

13. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Why the hostility? I use classic shell on Windows 8.1 so relax...

You are being extremely judgemental after I gave valid reasons why it's annoying. I have been using Windows 8.1 since it was released from Windows 8. I would never go back to Windows 7... (or XP).

I've tested most of the Windows 10 versions before Insider Preview also. My opinion comes from using the OS!

14. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    So will it be nvidia or amd to fix multi gpu first on batman ak? I am taking bets! But really multi gpu setups are already rather norm and old how in the heck they haven't solved the basic issues that plague them systems.

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The insider preview is so people can give feedback on any issues and make suggestions for improvement. Have you done this?

16. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Many, many times.

17. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    NitroRX6800
    when i heard MS gonna give it away for free for insider preview user (which is still unclear),

i decided to give it a try , because i'm curious about the gaming improvement on win 10 itself when using win 10 driver,

and i can't even install it, it stuck at the blue windows logo,

i have a spare 60GB HDD lying around, so i was gonna clean install it into that HDD,

i've tried both USB flash drive and DVD Disc, and both stuck at that blue windows logo screen,

i open up a support ticket, and only 1 person replied, and gave useless link that doesn't even help anything, and i replied by saying why are you giving me completely unrelated links ?

and haven't had any reply.

so i can now say i gave it a try, but it seems MS doesn't want my PC to install win 10 :)
    and their support is none existent.

18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It's clear Insiders won't get it for free (activated). The blog was misleading and it was corrected.

19. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    So does this driver only add Batman optimization or is there something else that was changed as well?

20. Tronman

Tronman Guest

GPU:
    XFX 295x2
    Hey dude not sure why you're having such a bad time with witcher 3. I also have a 295x2, just use the 15.5 beta along with radeon pro. Set flip queue to 1 and use v sync along with frame limiter. I'm playing at 1440p at pretty much constant 60 fps, everything on ultra (including hairworks) except foliage draw on high. There is still some minor flickering but it's barely there and is definitely acceptable.